Growing thicker hair

Candy27

Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to say this is a great forum. I have been reading a lot of information on here for a while now. I have just a few questions.

I have fairly decent hair. It is very thin and it's just past my shoulders. I was wondering what I could use to make my hair thicker? I use Aphogee products. I like it a lot. I take very good care of my hair. I give my hair a lengthy break when it comes to relaxing.

For years, I wore crochet braids and every since January I have been on a journey of trying to make my hair thicker. To make a long story short, what are some good products to make my hair thicker?
THANKS SO MUCH

NicWhite

Has your always been thin? or has it thinned out? That will affect what advice would be best for your situation.

That being said. I have noticed that my hair has gotten thicker since I made steps to correct my iron deficiency anemia. I also oil my scalp with castor oil, coconut oil, and essential oils mixed. Improved my diet and started exercising.

Candy27

Hi, thanks for replying. My mother always told me I got my thin hair from my grandmother. I exercise and drink plenty of water. I don't think it's thinned out. My hair has always have been somewhat thin. It's real thick of course when I let it air dry. I do use coconut oil on my scalp. I just want it thicker with some bounce. It's soft but just isn't as thick as I want it.

TraciChanel

I'd have to agree with the earlier suggestion of using castor oil. It is known to make your hair thicker. Also rinsing your hair with rosemary and sage herbs is known to thicken hair over time. From my personal experience, my hair (which is naturally thick) was thinned out a lot from relaxers :nono:. Also, since you mentioned air drying your hair makes it look a lot thicker, maybe you should make that a part of your regimen; like air drying with rollers OR sitting under the dryer with rollers - used with the right product, that gives bounce and is healthier for your hair.

HTH!

NicWhite

If your hair has been naturally thin all your life then I don't think there is anything that you can do about that....but I think that there are style that you can do to make it appear thicker. Hopefully some of the other ladies can help with styling options.

*CherryPie*

I agree with NicWhite, If you've always had thin hair, there's NOTHING you can do to get thick hair.
Oils will make your hair feel a little heavier (by coating the strands), which probably makes some people think that their hair is thicker....but it's not.

chasturner84

I have low density, fine hair. My mother said that my hair has always been this way and that I get it from my dad's side of the family. When I see pics of me as a young teen (natural), my hair was really thin when I got my hair pressed. I am now a relaxed head and the only things that I can do to make my hair appear fuller is stretching, texlaxing, airdrying and, like a previous poster mentioned, wearing styles to make my hair LOOK fuller (like curly styles). I try to make sure that my hair isn't weighed down with a lot of oils and other heavy products and that seems to minimize the "thin" look.

shunemite

If your hair has been naturally thin all your life then I don't think there is anything that you can do about that....but I think that there are style that you can do to make it appear thicker. Hopefully some of the other ladies can help with styling options.

I agree with this statement and hopefully this is not your situation. Myself and several other ladies had a thread about this about a year ago (can't find it currently, sorry) and we gave each other advice on how to make hair appear thicker. For me what really works is if I do a rinse with a shade that is slightly darker than my real hair. The rinse coats my hair and makes it appear thicker. I really like Jazzing Cherry cola or Beautiful Collections. Another styling technique that helps me out is keeping my hair roughly the same length and keeping the ends curled under/ bumped with satin rollers or carusos. Generally if your hair is thin and you wear your ends super straight it exposes the problem instead of camouflaging it.

Candy27

Thank you all so much for your responses. My hair is fine. Maybe I'm getting fine and thin mixed up. I will post pics once I am off work. Now my mother's hair is long and thick. She has beautiful hair. I've never did a roller set so I may try that.
Where can I find castor oil?
Again, thank you all.

shunemite

Castor oil (pure) is usually at the grocery store in the oils section or the vitamin and supplements section. You can also get it at a healthy grocery store like Whole Foods. It is clear and very thick, almost like beeswax or honey so go lightly. I actually don't use it on my hair for daily styling per se, I use it to slick down my hair for buns.