Growth w/o protective styling

kisz4tj

Is anyone retaining length without protective styles. Protective styles have worked against me in the past causing tangling, excessive shedding and breakage (due to constant buns). Not to mention thinning hairline from pulling back. If so, please post your regimen?

ETA: I'm relaxed.

Last edited:

sweetpeadst

Good topic!! I am wondering as well! I would love to know what everyone who is doing so tell their regimen and what hairstyles they do to maintain their locks!!!

locabouthair

when I was relaxed I used to wear my hair down all the time and somehow it grew. I think it was because I was washing it everday because I was swimming often and I had to get the chlorine out. So I think it is possible to grow your hair without a protective style but it's not a bad idea to do them.

pink_flower

I stopped doing protective styles sometime in late 2004. Now I wash, deep condition, and rollerset once a week.

I usually use a serum or some type of oil to seal my ends on the rollers. My hair is in the middle of my bra clasp now.

kisz4tj

locabouthair said:
when I was relaxed I used to wear my hair down all the time and somehow it grew. I think it was because I was washing it everday because I was swimming often and I had to get the chlorine out. So I think it is possible to grow your hair without a protective style but it's not a bad idea to do them.
Did u blowdry everyday or airdry?

kisz4tj

pink_flower said:
I stopped doing protective styles sometime in late 2004. Now I wash, deep condition, and rollerset once a week.

I usually use a serum or some type of oil to seal my ends on the rollers. My hair is in the middle of my bra clasp now.
What was your length before you achieved bra clasp?

LDebagoria

I never used to wear protective styles and my hair grew. Now that my very ends are so fragile, I'm sticking to them, but after I pass my shoulders, I'll probably lay off of them.

Back before I joined the forum I would get my hair relaxed every 8 weeks and wear my hair down most of the time. In two years it went from just above chin length in down to my shoulders like you see in my avatar picture (it was just past my shoulders in the back).

I wouldn't even wash my hair until it was time for a relaxer :eek:. Sometimes I would go in to get my hair washed and wrapped (or bumped) at the four week mark. Other than that I left it alone and used a little moisture and no heat. (Yes my head itched like crazy, but I was afraid to style my hair after washing).

It still got longer than it had ever been because my stylist wasn't scissor happy. When she started trimming every time I saw her that's when I wasn't gaining length or was actually losing length.

Now I'm wearing it up most of the time and it's getting longer. I'm just don't plan on having trims that often anymore so it'll get longer in less time. Some of these stylists turn trims into haircuts. :ohwell:

Last edited:

locabouthair

kisz4tj said:
Did u blowdry everyday or airdry?

It's strange that it grew because I used heat like almost everyday. that was for about a month. I would blow dry and use the curling iron. I hope my no heat challenge isn't in vain. :lol: I think it grew then because I was washing it everyday to get the chlorine out. And I was in florida at the time so maybe the change of weather had something to do with it.

sylver2

I never ever wear protective styles.
I wear my hair out every single day.
I use NTM serum and jojoba oil on my ends.

lala

I don't wear protective styling and I'm currently at 26.5" and my hair is healthy. I contribute this to using a minimal amount of heat, and keeping my hair covered at night.

angaliquew

I've always wondered how some women are able to wear their hair down everyday...I want to start, but by the 5th day my hair starts to get oily and limp.

How do you ladies keep your hair looking fresh? Also I wear a press do you think perms are better in regards to wearing your hair down everyday.

pearlygurl

When I first joined this forum, I did all the things recommended: S-curl, buns, airdrying and no heat. After implementing these things, my hair began breaking like crazy and not growing at all :( !! I got really discouraged and decided to try things my way. Now I just wash and deep conditon my hair at least 2 times a week. Then I use my T3 Tourmaline Wet to Dry Flat Iron w/a serum to lock in shine and moisture. I wrap my hair every night and wear it down everyday and my hair has grown like wildfire. It used to be above my shoulders but in the last few months, my hair on all sides lays beautifully on my back :)!!!!!!!

angaliquew

pearlygurl said:
When I first joined this forum, I did all the things recommended: S-curl, buns, airdrying and no heat. After implementing these things, my hair began breaking like crazy and not growing at all :( !! I got really discouraged and decided to try things my way. Now I just wash and deep conditon my hair at least 2 times a week. Then I use my T3 Tourmaline Wet to Dry Flat Iron w/a serum to lock in shine and moisture. I wrap my hair every night and wear it down everyday and my hair has grown like wildfire. It used to be above my shoulders but in the last few months, my hair on all sides lays beautifully on my back :)!!!!!!!

Do you have a perm?

Jewell

I never considered the benefits of protective styling until joining this site in March 05. I started growing my hair much longer in Jan 05 (I was about 1 inch above bra-strap). I fall back on protective styles like drawstring ponies and a baggy underneath, and a full wig, along with buns and french twists when I get frustrated with my hair. I am transitioning, but I am wearing my hair curly/wavy by way of Bantu knots. So, I wear it out everyday. Check out my LHCF journal for my regimen. Its all laid out there. ;) So yes, when it is all said and done, I am retaining length sans protective styling all the time.

mscounselor

When I wasn't transitioning, my hair grew very regular and I was not a ponytail bun person. I washed once a weak, never used a blow dryer, and deep conditioned once or twice a month. It only lost length because I was scissor happy and would always go back to my layers. My hair has always been between shoulder and brastrap. I noticed some breakage too with my buns. I think the purpose is to protect your ends...I always put moisturizer on every morning on them.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
growth without protective styling? sure can! there are several ladies here who have done it. protective styling is just a way of retaining the length that you grow but for some, protective styling can cause breakage and stress on the hair. It depends on the thickness of your hair strands I believe.

Angelicus

I needed protective styles the most when my hair was touching my shoulders. I stopped wearing them as much when I got past that point.

BklynHeart

I've never worn protective styles. I just wash, condition, rollerset and go. In the winter, I keep my hair wrapped in a satin scarf underneath my hat until I get to work and then comb it out. For me, slicking my hair into buns caused more stress around my edges.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I wear my hair down daily and my hair is still growing. I can't tell you the last time I had some kind of protective style,they do nothing for me. I wash my hair once a week and rollerset. During the week I use oil to keep my ends sealed.

Yeah Pearlygirl!
I thought I was the only wet to dry flat ironer here. I posted a thread on this technique some months ago, but alas most had not heard of it or were skeptical at least.
I am hoping to get past shoulder length without using protcetive styles as I find they just don't do much to compliment my round face. But I will pin my hair up some days, but the ends are left out for added volume.

S

Stylepink

I tried wearing my hair in a bun for the past couple of months, and it broke off aroung my edges. I think now, I will just focus on keeping my ends hydrated and wearing my hair down.

Growingitlong

I have been weaaring my h air pinned up 95 percent of the time for almost tow years and I can't saay that I have gained much llength. I guess it works for some people. I prefer wearing my hair down but I keep wearilng it up in the hopes of gaining length.

aminata

I have a question for those who pin there hair in a bun--what type of bobby pins do you use?

In the past I tried protective styling but found that the bobby pins were damaging my ends and thus defeating the purpose.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Honi

There is no board.
I wear updo's and loose buns. This seemed to work for me. If I wore my hair down it would tangle up and I would loose hair trying to detangle it. I only wear it down for special occassions I have been enjoying my hair more this summer wearing it down. It feels kinda funny though. :lol:

Good Hair Days hair pins are the only pins I will ever let touch my hair. They don't snag like regular bobby pins and work really well for thick hair.