Hair care drama

virgogrlnxtdr

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and need major help. I decided in June that I would start taking better care of my hair but it has been a down hill struggle. My hair looks atrocius and I don't know what to do. I am trying to bounce back from layers but it's not working. I don't know how to style my hair since I have given up the curling iron. Moreover my hair tends to go every which way. I am confused on how often to get it washed is it 1x or 2x a week at the salon. I also have the problem of little hairs that stick up in random places. I am not sure if it's breakage. What to do? Does waiting out the relaxer work for all hair types from reading the site I am a 4b. My last relaxer was May 31 and I am trying to hold out until September 1. Help my hair looks ratty. To wrap hair or not to wrap hair? Also how long does it take to grow hair out? If you can help send a response. Thanks Ladies. I am on the verge of insanity.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcome Virgogrlnxtdr!

We are here to offer help and suggestions. One question what is you hair length? The little hairs sticking out may just be new hairs growing in. When I do rela I wait about 12-14 weeks. I use a flat iron in between to help manage the new growth.

You say your hair is atrocius, is it breaking shedding? Give us a few more details and the help team will be on the way!

C

Cami

Welcome!
First, I must ask what type of products do you use and what do you do for maintenance on a daily/weekly basis?

I would definitely recomend the wrap set as opposed to using curling irons, so you're doing the right thing by giving that up. Try wet rollersets, that would definitely hold the curls better and will give your hair more body. What are your ends looking like?? Fill a sista in!

sweetdaises2000

Welcome virgo! I'm sure ull get some great addvice from the ladies on this board. They will definetely help you return your hair back to great health or even better and ull never have to rely on a hair stylist for your hair needs. Hope to hear more from u! Good Luck!

adrienne0914

welcome to the baord, virgogrl!

first, how long is your hair right now? the answer to that will determine your styling options.

second, what is the condition of your ends? are they healthy, or are you hanging on to split ends for the sake of length? if so, get them trimmed. you don't have to cut all of your hair off, just get the damaged part cut because if you let them go too long, the splits will travel up the length of the hair. your hair will thank you for it by cooperating more...

how long do you normally wait to relax your hair? it can be good to wait longer than normal. however, if you start to notice excessive breakage as a result, i think you should not wait as long. the goal here is longer hair, not going longer between. so i believe that breakage because of waiting is counterproductive... what relaxer do you use?

do you ever do your own hair? 1x a week at the salon is expensive. 2x a week is almost unthinkable. if you got it like that, go head girl... but it's much better for your and pocketbook if you learn to care for it yourself. besides, going to a salon is no guarantee that you will meet your goals. do you think your stylist will help you? what products do they use?

it seems to me that you're fighting your hair right now. as long as you're doing that, it will be harder to retain any length. realize that on average, a person's hair grows 1/2" a month. of course that 1/2" will look longer or shorter depending on the hair's texture. regardless how fast your hair grows, it's not what you make, it's what you keep. so the goal is to give it what it wants so that it will cooperate.

holla!

adrienne

virgogrlnxtdr

Hey girls thanks for the quick response. I would say that my hair is at the nape of my neck at the longest layer. When I go to the salon I have either been using relaxers by Mizani or Arosci. But I just changed hair dressers and want to either stay with Mizani or try Affirm which you all talk so highly. At home I usually wrap my hair. I either rub my scalp with Mizani Rose H20, Hollywood Carrot Oil, or ORS Tea Tree Oil. To prevent breakage when I wrap I usually rub Aya antibreakge pomade on my ends. But when I unwrap in the morning it's stiff and sticks out straight. Moreover I can't control my naps at the front.

I have started getting a wash and set every or every other week because I have come to the realization that I can not do my hair at home. I have ridiculous breakage. It's just not pretty. When they do my wash and set they use whatever shampoo and I usually get a house, Motions, or Emergencee treatment. I have added vitamins to my diet from reading the page but I just need to pick up the Biotin and MSM.

Oh yes, my ends are pretty good. At my last relaxer my old hairdresser lopped off all the split ends. You can still see the sharpness of the cut on my ends. I usually relax my hair every 6-8 weeks but I think alot of that is due to the fact that all the new growth comes in and I don't know how to control how my hair looks , moves, etc.

Hope this helps. Virgogrl