Hair care product availability for WOC in other countries?

LaurenMechelle

I held a giveaway on my blog in January & the prize was the full Straight From Eden line, including relaxers. It was open internationally, anyone could enter. Two of the winners were American, but the third lives in Denmark. When we tried shipping the products to her, customs blocked the package because the technology hadn't been tested there before & the country wasn't willing to let it through. We're trying again, but this time without the relaxers & praying it'll be allowed through - I feel so terrible that it's almost March, and this woman still hasn't received anything!

I've gotten lots & lots of emails from women in other countries that are trying to track down the products they've seen me use on my blog, but are unable to find them locally or shipping costs are prohibitive. Ladies in other non-American countries, what brands/products are available locally to you? Have you ever tried to order products that aren't available in your country? Have you ever successfully had a friend send you products form a different country?

I'm hosting monthly giveaways on my blog this year & want to allow readers in other countries a chance to win too, but not sure how to include them :nono::nono:

rayellejd14

European countries are much stricter on consumer protection that the US, but you could try looking up each product you're trying to send and its restrictions. During the 8 months I spent in Spain, when I went to the "ethnic" hair stores I saw many of the same basic American brands, like Motions, Dark & Lovely, ORS, etc. In regular stores it was Garnier, Dove, etc. The only European brand I saw in the stores for other hair types was Alter Ego.

LaurenMechelle

What's your blog+
LaurenMechelle.com :yep:

European countries are much stricter on consumer protection that the US, but you could try looking up each product you're trying to send and its restrictions. During the 8 months I spent in Spain, when I went to the "ethnic" hair stores I saw many of the same basic American brands, like Motions, Dark & Lovely, ORS, etc. In regular stores it was Garnier, Dove, etc. The only European brand I saw in the stores for other hair types was Alter Ego.
Thanks, I'll try that - country-specific restrictions are published? I assumed the larger brands like Garnier would have a presence, but have gotten questions about tracking down the DC I use (3 Minute Undo).

Fhrizzball

I was in Denmark for a month and when I checked nearby stores I couldn't find much of anything that I was used to back home. Even a simple wide tooth comb I had yet to run into. Although I wasn't in the city areas though so that may play a part of it. But with customs I would check their website as they tend to be verbose in that area. If your packaging still fails there's always gift cards or ordering online from an EU hair site and mailing it to them.