HAIR ELASTICS

Nola Darling

I've been wearing my hair natural w/o using a flat iron for a while and I've been having problems with my hair coming out in my hair elastics. I've been using the plain black Goodies brand elastics that you can get at Walmart.

Do yall think that I should go up in size of the elastic? Or maybe the way I'm putting back my hair is making it come out? (I put it back in a bun when I shower)

What are you all doing?

I have discovered that I can't use any kind of elastics in my hair not even the snag free. My hair still would break off and I would have to get my hair cut to even it up.

I don't wear elastics during the day or night, just on wash day to separate my hair. Even then, I use hair-friendly elastics such as Scunci Hair Hosiery bands, sprayed or soaked in oil (like EVOO) first. :)

For ponytails, I do wear small, satin covered scrunchies or any covered with a smooth fabric (not cotton). One can buy silk covered scrunchies also.

I co-wash and bun daily I noticed this too,I've read that you aren't supposed manipulate your hair when wet or apply the elastic too tigt because as your hair dries,it expands.I think the hair coming out has to do with it being too tight.I've tried bunning my dry hair but its comes out so puffy:nono:

Lately,I've been applying garnier length and strength around the area of my hair where the elastic goes and also soaking my elastics in oil before using them.I think I may have to switch to using clips for a while if this doesn't work.

I usually dip my elastics in castor oil before applying. When I remove them from my hair, I take my time unwinding without pulling.

Girl you read my mind. I am in the same boat. I use the goody small black elastics but today I bought some tiny ones with cloth and hopefully dipping them in oil will combat my problem. I don't use any heat and I had split ends! Ahhh

Do you think we should wait to put them on when our hair is completely dry?
How is that gonna work

I use usually the cotton elastics and clips. I prefer this clips as I don't lose any hair with them. Thanks for tip though with dipping them in oil as this may certainly free my hair from any breakage.

I use usually the cotton elastics and clips. I prefer this clips as I don't lose any hair with them. Thanks for tip though with dipping them in oil as this may certainly free my hair from any breakage.

This is what I do now.

Back