Ladies who bun...

When you bun do you...

• secure hair with an elastic and hairpins?

Votes: 113 63.5%
  • secure hair with hairpins alone?

Votes: 65 36.5%

• Total voters

tthreat08

I would love to be able to make my hair stay just using the pins alone, I don't know what the deal is. The last few days I guess I've been having bad hair days. :ohwell:

Your hair is definitely long enough to do it. What I do is braid my hair into one braid, then roll the braid under and pin it. I think Kinikakes does a variation of this as well. She even pins her bun upward at times which also looks nice. You just have to play around with it.

Ladylyn

I gather my hair like a ponytail then start to twist it then I start to wrap it forming a bun securing it along the way with pins.

LovelyLionessa

I don't use scruchie's anymore for my basic buns. Instead I just secure them with one long tortoise shell pin from Tenderheaded.com.

KinksnCurlz

Elastic, fan hair loosely around ponytail and secure with wig pins. (I would've said goody hair pins but them suckers broke a longgg time ago. Do they even sell them anymore? I haven't been able to find them for 2 years!)

IntoMyhair

... do you use a hair elastic and put your hair in a ponytail and then use hair pins to secure the bun or do you simply coil your hair into a bun and secure with pins sans elastic?

I am really trying to get into the whole protective style thing. Lately my buns have been falling out when I just use my Good Day Hair pins alone. I was thinking maybe I should soak some of my Scunci seamless hair elastics in oil and go ahead and use em' to give my bun a good base. What do you ladies do? TIA :)

Bolded is what i do.

caramelcutieinva

i pull up like I am going to do a high pony tail , then I twist the hair until it coils around itself and secure with an ouchless elastic

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I don't use hairpins cause I have no clue how to use them and make them stay :perplexed: So I use a small elastic band at the base of the bun, coil my hair around and secure with a satin scrunchie

sassygirl2

When i bun i put my hair in a ponytail with a scrunchie and tuck my ends and place my fake bun over it securing it with hairpins.

so so chic

I twist my hair into a loose bun and then secure it with chop sticks or some sort of large pin. I just got a large pin, that sort of looks like a bobby pin, from the bss with rhinestones on it. It's really cute, and it held my hair all day long.

Mrs.Green

I have a questions for the bunning ladies, this may fall under the lazy bun, but does or has anyone bunned their hair with a scrunchie to secure (silk of course) and just not pull all the hair out, no pins? Is that damaging?

I know this thread is a year old but I do my buns this way. I always wet bun and it works fine for me. Just make extra sure to seal with oil.

JustKiya

That whirl-a-bun thing looks FABULOUS!!! Hrrm. I've never seen them in stores - I wonder if that would work on my hair.......

d-rock

... do you use a hair elastic and put your hair in a ponytail and then use hair pins to secure the bun or do you simply coil your hair into a bun and secure with pins sans elastic?

I am really trying to get into the whole protective style thing. Lately my buns have been falling out when I just use my Good Day Hair pins alone. I was thinking maybe I should soak some of my Scunci seamless hair elastics in oil and go ahead and use em' to give my bun a good base. What do you ladies do? TIA :)

Why can't I find one of these Good Day Hair pins? What do they look like and where did you get yours?????

Oh and I use elastic and hair pins for my buns. If I'm doing a big bun I use a scarf, tie it around hair and pin edges down around that. Learned that from someone here, but can't remember her name. Forgot to mention that sometimes I use this thing called "Bobby Sticks" looks like a gigantic bobby pin, but it's plastic and holds hair with out feeling tight. Got mine at a grocery store called "Harris Teeter." Love that store.

LovelyLionessa

Why can't I find one of these Good Day Hair pins? What do they look like and where did you get yours?????

Sorry I just read your post! :blush:

Here's a pic:

Sally's sells them. Conair makes similar hairpins that you can find at Wal-Mart and Walgreens. HTH :)

JustKiya

Sorry I just read your post! :blush:

Here's a pic:

Sally's sells them. Conair makes similar hairpins that you can find at Wal-Mart and Walgreens. HTH :)

I just got some o these, and OH. MY. GODS!!! They hold up hair SO well. I've never had such good success with a hair pin - I'm so hooked. I wish they sold them in bigger packs, actually.

asubeauty

I put my hair up in a loose pony with a satin scrunchie and kind of wrap my hair around it and pin it up with good days hair pins.

koolkittychick

I couldn't use hair ties or elastics anymore because they caused too much breakage wherever I secured the ponytail, so I used two methods. When my hair was shoulder length I used an expandable bun cage thingy made by Scunchii (you can find them at Walgreens or Target) to secure my bun; just wrap my hair into a little bun and stick the bun cage on it. It was colapsable, so it was easy to squeeze the bun cage over the bun and it held it in place all day without elastics.

Later, when my hair reached APL, I simply coiled it around into a cinnamon bun and secured it with Goody Spin Pins. Now that it's a bit longer and my buns are looking a little fuller, I am looking for some pretty hair sticks to use to add some oomph to my buns. :yep: