Ladies who bun...

When you bun do you...

• secure hair with an elastic and hairpins?

Votes: 113 63.5%
  • secure hair with hairpins alone?

Votes: 65 36.5%

• Total voters

LovelyLionessa

Letitia said:
I may have to give these a try. My hair laughed at the good day hair pins.

Girl, I got my pins today from Tenderhead, Camellia wasn't lying, they are da truth!! I can see why she uses them on her long mane. They are really nice. I think I'll be able to use one these alone to keep my bun secure. In my mind there is no comparison between these and the Good Hair Days pins. :nono: I'll save those for bantus and such. I think you would like them (Priestess fanning the pj flames.) :bdance: :lachen:

LiLi

Babygurl said:
I use mini scrunchies (satin) to make a ponytail and I secure the ends with another mini scrunchie.

Where do you get these? I can't find them anymore :(

LovelyLionessa

LiLi said:
Where do you get these? I can't find them anymore :(

I got some mine at Bed & Bath & Beyond, they have a BSS within the store. I've also seen them at Wal-Mart in assorted colors, but the pack I got at BB& B were all black. HTH :)

ETA: I forgot to mention, my mini scrunchies are by Scuncci.

LiLi

Priestess said:
I got some mine at Bed & Bath & Beyond, they have a BSS within the store. I've also seen them at Wal-Mart in assorted colors, but the pack I got at BB& B were all black. HTH :)

ETA: I forgot to mention, my mini scrunchies are by Scuncci.

Thank you! I am going to check it out tomorrow.

ohsosuzy

FlowerHair said:
I coil, coil and coil and fasten with pins or little grips or a big grip.
Right now I'm on the hunt for a huge, curved pelican grip like Ficcare or something similar.

I bought one of those clips from H&M not too long ago for a reasonable price.

Most days I just coil it around itself then i use a bobby pin to pin the ends under. I use another bobby pin to secure the top and another to secure the bottom. That usually creates a firm hold. Straight pins aren't secure enough for me and sometimes they hurt

LovelyLionessa

I found out finally how to create a nice big juicy bun that stays. Supergirl has a lovely one in her fotki. I tried her technique and it totally works! I created a ponytail secured with scruchie, and coiled my hair around the scrunchie and secured it with hairpins. This is definitely a keeper for me. :grin:

KiniKakes

I coil the hair and secure with hair pins OR bobbi pins (whatever is available). I dont use an elastic or scrunchie.

SvelteVelvet

I have a questions for the bunning ladies, this may fall under the lazy bun, but does or has anyone bunned their hair with a scrunchie to secure (silk of course) and just not pull all the hair out, no pins? Is that damaging?

imstush

Priestess said:
I found out finally how to create a nice big juicy bun that stays. Supergirl has a lovely one in her fotki. I tried her technique and it totally works! I created a ponytail secured with scruchie, and coiled my hair around the scrunchie and secured it with hairpins. This is definitely a keeper for me. :grin:

That's how I do my bun, but I want to stop using scrunchie's. Eventhough I use satin, and don't make it too tight my hair is still breaking. I may try those pins.

Lady Esquire

Priestess said:
Okay I think I've found a solution. I have some hair pins by Scunci that are longer than the Good Day Hair Pins. I coiled my hair in a bun and I find these make my bun more secure as the longer pin is able to reach through my bun and anchor itself better. I see Tenderhead also has some nice pins. This what I'm feelin':

Off to do some pj shopping at Tenderhead... :user:

Priestess, I am soooo glad you started this thread. I wear buns 99% of the time for forever now. It has evolved from bands that were too tight at first. Then I wore a donut bun that caused to much stress at the nape. Lately, for too too long I have been wearing a black cloth scrunchy, I have a million of them. I wear the hair in a pony and twist ends and cover with a second scrunchy.

My ends have been ragged. Even with daily moisturizing, weekly DCs, CWs, baggying at night.

I realized its the way I bun....I will purchase the pins you mentioned asap!!!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I wear my foam donut daily, changing the positions of the bun each day. One day, I'll wear it high; the next day, I'll wear a lower bun. I also wrapped my donut using a black silk fabric to keep my ends protected. I think it's working. I use JBCO on my ends before tucking them under the bun. ;)

One thing I've noticed is that as I attain more NG, it's becoming a battle using the donut, so I have to figure out other ways of protecting my hair. It's becoming a challenge but I am thankful that I even have NG.

HERicane10

Serenity_Peace said:
I wear my foam donut daily, changing the positions of the bun each day. One day, I'll wear it high; the next day, I'll wear a lower bun. I also wrapped my donut using a black silk fabric to keep my ends protected. I think it's working. I use JBCO on my ends before tucking them under the bun. ;)

One thing I've noticed is that as I attain more NG, it's becoming a battle using the donut, so I have to figure out other ways of protecting my hair. It's becoming a challenge but I am thankful that I even have NG.

Alternating the position and good moisturizing is the key to eliminating breakage. Lavendar is being stingy!:eek: She's got the best practice for safely tucking away those ends in a donut bun!;) Make her tell you her secret to fabulously thick, healthy ends using the donut bun.:look: :grin:

***Sorry to put you out there Lavendar.......put you know we can't hold water when it comes to growing hair.***:lol: :lol: :grin:

Lady Esquire

SvelteVelvet said:
I have a questions for the bunning ladies, this may fall under the lazy bun, but does or has anyone bunned their hair with a scrunchie to secure (silk of course) and just not pull all the hair out, no pins? Is that damaging?

i do not pull at all. my buns are usually loose, especially if i am just lounging around the house. for some women, what you are suggesting, it works fine. but for others, the constant tugging at certain hairs, just becomes too much stress for the strands. bunning in the same exact spot, causes breakage also. i do not use silk, and that may be a reason for my issues.

Esmé

I put my hair into a ponytail with an elastic and then use bobby pins. I just found my ancient whirl-a-bun in the closet. I used to use it all the time. For that, I just put it in a ponytail and then put the ends into the WAB and secure it.

HERicane10

Esmé said:
I put my hair into a ponytail with an elastic and then use bobby pins. I just found my ancient whirl-a-bun in the closet. I used to use it all the time. For that, I just put it in a ponytail and then put the ends into the WAB and secure it.

That WAB looks very easy to use! Does it work well at protecting your ends and keep them moisturized? And does it have teeth on it that snag your hair?

Esmé

I really think so. It doesn't have any teeth at all. It's one whole piece of soft plastic (I think) with a slit in the middle. The ends "snap" together (it's a tab-like closing). I've never had a snag and it literally takes less than a minute to use. I'm glad that I found it again because I'm tired of sticking myself in the head with bobby pins! :lol:

I don't bring it all the way to the ends (I leave about an inch out), and just tuck the ends under and begin rolling up and snap it around the ponytail holder. It never needs anything to secure it and doesn't flop.

When I take it out, my hair is still moisturized all over. You can't see the ends of the hair at all and since you are rolling your hair, the rest of the hair will cover them, so I count it as having my ends protected.

Divine Inspiration

I like to use the pins alone when I'm bunning for bed and during the day, but if I need a really clean, neat bun, I prefer to use an oil-soaked elastic and then use the pins to secure it.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Divine Inspiration said:
I like to use the pins alone when I'm bunning for bed and during the day, but if I need a really clean, neat bun, I prefer to use an oil-soaked elastic and then use the pins to secure it.

Can you explain more what your oil-soaked elastic is? Thanks.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Letitia said:
I am just now able to bun with pins or clips only. :dance7:

Lucky you! I can't wait to get to that point where my hair is long and full enough so that I don't have to use the donut. My buns would look too anemic. Congrats!

LovelyZ

i prefer to use only hair pins. Even though using an elastic makes the bun look more polished, my "ouchless" elastic pulls my hair out.

Esmé

LadyEsquire said:
Esme, your bun is beautiful. I can only acheive that look with a sock. Very nice.

Thank you! To really secure a bun, I use something similar to these. It's a different brand, though. I thought they were called Good Hair Days? I'm not sure. I think I bought them in a drugstore.

I won't say that they break easily, as I still have at least one after ten years (I'm sure there's another...somewhere...), but I did manage to snap a few over the years.

How do you bun with a sock? Is that like using a bun donut?

Lavendar

Esmé said:

Hey I bought one of these a while ago, when I finally grew enough hair to get around a sock bun. I couldn't get it to work though. I thought it would be great cause the stuff it's made of is very soft and rubbery. Once I rolled it up and snapped it, I couldn't get my hair to move around to close the gap. Maybe I will dig it up and try again. Thanks Esme!

As for you HERicane, don't be trying to put me on blast like that!!!!:lol:

Soliel185

I use a soft satin scrunci like a donut. I don't use the bands anymore b/c my hair started to break around the holder. The scrunci has too much padding to affect my hair much. Then I fan the hair out over the scrunci and pin under with bobbi pins, but I will prolly switch to the good hair day pins.