Ladies who bun...

When you bun do you...

• secure hair with an elastic and hairpins?

Votes: 113 63.5%
  • secure hair with hairpins alone?

Votes: 65 36.5%

• Total voters

LovelyLionessa

... do you use a hair elastic and put your hair in a ponytail and then use hair pins to secure the bun or do you simply coil your hair into a bun and secure with pins sans elastic?

I am really trying to get into the whole protective style thing. Lately my buns have been falling out when I just use my Good Day Hair pins alone. I was thinking maybe I should soak some of my Scunci seamless hair elastics in oil and go ahead and use em' to give my bun a good base. What do you ladies do? TIA :)

camellia

I use only hair pins, or hair sticks if I'm feeling adventurous.

The "lazy day" bun I make with a scrunchie doesn't seem to be so good for my ends.

Cayenne0622

I put my hair in a satin scrunchie and then I put a phony ponytail bun over it. Not sure if that helps since you are likely talking about bunning your hair.:)

YasmanSoBe

I use a foam donut. After securing, I use an ouchless band, followed by pins to secure. To make sure my hair stays in place, I finish with a bun hairnet. It's like a hairnet, but it's smaller, for the size of a bun. You can get them at Sally's Beauty Supply for about a $1.

blackbarbie

I use hair pins (without a scrunchie).
I tried using a scrunchie first and then using the hairpins to complete the bun but I just can't get it quite right, so I've had better success just using the hairpins alone.

LovelyLionessa

I would love to be able to make my hair stay just using the pins alone, I don't know what the deal is. The last few days I guess I've been having bad hair days. :ohwell:

Treasure2k6

First I place my hair into a ponytail with an ouchless band. Then, I take my foam donut which i covered with a black satin material, and place my ponytail hair thru the hole of the donut. Next, I finger comb my ends downward to cover the donut and place about 4 small satin scunchies around it for security....or more if it doesnt feel right. Its short enough to do this with for now.....I guess when I get more length I will have to go to the bobby pins.

Isis

I just make a loose braid low in the back or side, tuck it under and pin it with a couple of Good Hair Days pins. Sometimes, I'll place a scrunchie around it for decoration or tie a silk ribbon loosely around it--no tension with anything.

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

Okay I think I've found a solution. I have some hair pins by Scunci that are longer than the Good Day Hair Pins. I coiled my hair in a bun and I find these make my bun more secure as the longer pin is able to reach through my bun and anchor itself better. I see Tenderhead also has some nice pins. This what I'm feelin':

Off to do some pj shopping at Tenderhead... :user:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I coil, coil and coil and fasten with pins or little grips or a big grip.
Right now I'm on the hunt for a huge, curved pelican grip like Ficcare or something similar.

dynamic1

It depends. Sometimes I use an esastic band, 2 starnd twist my hair and bun it. Other times I just twist it into a bun and secure with Good Days Hair pins. If I am being lazy after a wash-n-go, I pull it partially through a band or scunci and tuck or pin the ends (see siggy).

LovelyLionessa

camellia said:
Priestess,
Those are the hair pins I use!:D

That's so cool, Camellia. Last night I bought some of those and some satin scrunchies too. I can't wait to get 'em. :sekret:

Maybe I'm not using enough hairpins. Those of you who use hair pins alone are you using 2? I've been only using one and my hair ends up falling down during the day. :ohwell:

Babygurl

I use mini scrunchies (satin) to make a ponytail and I secure the ends with another mini scrunchie.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ladies who use these Good Hair Days Pins...what do they look like?
Where to you get them? Would they secure fine hair as well?

I want something to pin up fine, thin hair that does not cause breakage. Bobby pins break my hair no matter how gently I insert them and the regular hair pins fall out unless I squish them together and they don't look nice.

Any suggestions?

LovelyLionessa

january noir said:
Ladies who use these Good Hair Days Pins...what do they look like?
Where to you get them? Would they secure fine hair as well?

I want something to pin up fine, thin hair that does not cause breakage. Bobby pins break my hair no matter how gently I insert them and the regular hair pins fall out unless I squish them together and they don't look nice.

Any suggestions?

Here they are, you can get them at Sally's:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/2230/409000

They are meant to be gentle on the hair. Maybe some fine haired ladies could chime in with their experiences using them. :)

Angelicus

I do like other ladies: make a ponytail with a scrunci, make a two-stranded braid; Then I wrap it around in a coil and secure it with another scrunci.

I used to use good-days hair pins but my bun kept getting loose; they'd break, or they'd fall out. I still use them when I am sectioning hair for styling.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I wish I could use the pins but they hurt. I wrap my hair with an old nylon knee hi. Then I put the hair in two sections, wrap one around and then coil the other around the opposite way. I secure with 1 or 2 bobby pins.

Tee

Priestess said:
Okay I think I've found a solution. I have some hair pins by Scunci that are longer than the Good Day Hair Pins. I coiled my hair in a bun and I find these make my bun more secure as the longer pin is able to reach through my bun and anchor itself better. I see Tenderhead also has some nice pins. This what I'm feelin':

Off to do some pj shopping at Tenderhead... :user:

I may have to give these a try. My hair laughed at the good day hair pins.

LovelyLionessa

Today I acheived bun nirvania. :woot: Thanks everyone for your input. I was finally able to acheive a beautiful bun that stayed put all day. I put my hair in a ponytail and secured with a mini scrunchie, made a loose braid and bunned it and secured with another scrunchie. Thanks Isis, Babygurl and Anky for your styling inspirations. :Rose:

wheezy807

Peachtree said:
I coil, tuck the ends, then put a scrunchie around the bun to secure it.

I do the exact same thing, the scrunchie alone is enough to secure the bun. I don't use hair pins.