Hair grows faster on crown??

aileendq

Hi Ladies!

It's been a while since I've posted. (Although I lurk alot.)

My hair (as of about 20 minutes ago) was about an inch away from brastrap, but significantly shorter in the "underneath" layer. It seems my crown grows really fast, and the hair in the underneath layers takes FOREVER to grow.

So my hair was getting really long, but lacked any movement or style in the back. So I decided to put long layers in the top layers, and took off about 3 inches in layers. NOW my hair is just barely APL!

I'm not really upset about it, since my hair is very healthy and growing well.

Does anyone else have the same issue with hair growing markedly faster in the crown?

I'm seriously considering chopping a long, layered bob-thingy so I can even this mess up!

TY!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
The NG in my crown area is CRAZY!! CRAZY, I'm telling you. It's so out of control that I can't really do my buns neatly anymore. I'm really unsure about what to do at this point. I can do French rolls, but there's always a puff at the top due to the out of control NG. And meanwhile, the hair in the front and back is nearly straight! :confused:

jnicole

I'm the total opposite. I was just crying to myself today because I just don't understand why my crown is so thin and grows so slowly. I'm about 11 weeks post and I don't want to relax because my crown is so sparce after a relaxer. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

AwesomelyNappy

i've noticed this too... in my crown, my hair has a lot of thick, fuzzy, curly newgrowth... its a beast to part. The thickness of the newgrowth becomes less dense as i go towards my hairline in any direction. I have a few theories as to why my hair grows faster in the crown.

I used to think that the front grew the fastest, followed by the crown and then the back being the slowest... now i'm noticing that the crown is the fastest, followed by the back, and then the front :ohwell: .Oh well, i'm just happy that its growing!;)

AwesomelyNappy

jnicole said:
I'm the total opposite. I was just crying to myself today because I just don't understand why my crown is so thin and grows so slowly. I'm about 11 weeks post and I don't want to relax because my crown is so sparce after a relaxer. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

I know a lot of ladies say that nightly baggying helps thicken their hair. Boundless Tresses, and MTG are also known to thicken thinning areas... And one more thing... Vatika Oil... i've heard ladies say that it bought their edges back, so it may help your crown area too. And dont forget to take your biotin. HTH.

BlueEra

My hair does the same thing! My crown will be a thick, lush mess of new growth, while my nape and the edges of my hair grow the slowest. my hair used the be in layers with the back layer being the longest and the middle has caught up quickly with the back now.

jnicole

awesomely_nappy said:
I know a lot of ladies say that nightly baggying helps thicken their hair. Boundless Tresses, and MTG are also known to thicken thinning areas... And one more thing... Vatika Oil... i've heard ladies say that it bought their edges back, so it may help your crown area too. And dont forget to take your biotin. HTH.

Thanks!! I've been taking the Biotin and using BT, but I need to be more consistent with them. I'll try the Vatika Oil, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

turnergirl

I wish my crown grew at a decent speed. Especially with all of this shrinkage I have. My hair will not look as full as it should until I get some length on this crown.

chayil0427

I think my crown grows slightly faster. I usually notice the new growth their first and then the back fills in after.

Chayil

AwesomelyNappy

Serenity_Peace said:
Can you share your theories with us?

Its just a theory, but i think (at least with my own hair) that the crown is the least manipulated area on my head. When i'm wearing a bun, its to the back; when i brush my hair down, i mainly brush the sides and the front only going lightly over my crown; When i sleep at night, i sleep on my sides or on the back, the crown is untouched (unless your part bat and sleep upside down)... The sides, the back, the front (because i have bangs) all have the most stress... I just think that the low manipulation to that area causes it to grow quicker? I know that people who do low manipulation on their hair overall have longer faster growing hair... if the same principle is applied to that part of the hair (the crown) being the least manipulated area, it just grows quicker. But i dont know for sure, i'm a hair novice and this is just my theory.

foxy kc

my hair grows faster in the crown area....I don't know if its a coincidence but this is the area that is 3C.....the 4a sections grows slower.....

either the 3c section grows faster or I retain more length in the 3c section than the 4a section.

Not really sure which one (grows faster/retains more) because it is hard to compare the amount of NG between the 3C and 4A due to the different texture

Last edited:

ddean

Hmmm, it appears that I have more growth in the crown area, but the crown area has yet to catch up with the sides and back.:confused: So as of now, my sides and back are longer than my crown.

Bint Yusef

ddean said:
Hmmm, it appears that I have more growth in the crown area, but the crown area has yet to catch up with the sides and back.:confused: So as of now, my sides and back are longer than my crown.
SAME EXACT BOAT!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
awesomely_nappy said:
Its just a theory, but i think (at least with my own hair) that the crown is the least manipulated area on my head. When i'm wearing a bun, its to the back; when i brush my hair down, i mainly brush the sides and the front only going lightly over my crown; When i sleep at night, i sleep on my sides or on the back, the crown is untouched (unless your part bat and sleep upside down)... The sides, the back, the front (because i have bangs) all have the most stress... I just think that the low manipulation to that area causes it to grow quicker? I know that people who do low manipulation on their hair overall have longer faster growing hair... if the same principle is applied to that part of the hair (the crown) being the least manipulated area, it just grows quicker. But i dont know for sure, i'm a hair novice and this is just my theory.

I think that's an excellent, most plausible theory. I am the same way. I wear buns almost daily, changing the position of the bun, then switching up with a French roll. But, your theory seems right. Not only is the crown the least manipulated, it's the most protect and the least combed. I have to brush the sides and back to slick my hair into a protective style, and yet, I don't have to both with the crown. I think your theory has a lot of merit. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
foxy kc said:
my hair grows faster in the crown area....I don't know if its a coincidence but this is the area that is 3C.....the 4a sections grows slower.....

either the 3c section grows faster or I retain more length in the 3c section than the 4a section.

Not really sure which one (grows faster/retains more) because it is hard to compare the amount of NG between the 3C and 4A due to the different texture

I think I'm quite the opposite. The front and sides of my hair are the 3B/3C areas and though they are long, when I flat iron my hair, the crown, which is the 4A and perhaps a bit of 4B is longer than the rest. Plus I got hella NG in the crown and only a little, perhaps 1 1/2" NG in the front and nothing on the sides. My crown, however, clearly has nearly 2" of growth, possibly more. (It was also underprocessed from a bad relaxer so that may be part of it.)

hopeful

foxy kc said:

My crown is 3c as well and I've noticed the same pattern as far as growth. I have never suffered any breakage or damage in this area either and detangling is much easier, I hardly lose any hair when I comb it.

kls4c03

I went unto the site to check into ordering the Vatika Oil product but I couldn't find out. Does anyone know how to order the product? I'm debating between this and Ted Gibson's Good nite replenish hair repair.

My hair is fine not sure what number. I asked my stylist, she hadn't heard of the numbering system. I had about 6 inches chopped off last year, but my entire hair line in the front is thining. The strangest thing is that my hair has grown back, it's now about 2 inches from bra strap length. I'll have to update my photo.

Last edited:

bablou00

I get crazy thick growth in my crown. It is so thick and so much its out of control. My stylist says thats the thickest part and where I have the most hair:eek: My sides and bangs grow sosososososo slow and the back grows real fast

trulyurangel82

I always have a bunch of new growth on the top of my head. It can get kinky in the back but the top does grow faster. In fact the sides and top grow faster than the back it seems which kinda makes it uneven when its growing out.