Hair growth and heat flatironing - newbie

Dove56

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to grow very long hair using heat once a week. I was completely natural (3b/c) until last month. I broke down and got a relaxer after about 9 or 10 years of being natural. I have some blond highlights so some of my hair double-processed. I did notice minimal breakage, but my hair is very thick so it's not noticable at all. Some of the blond hair is underprocessed and still wavy when my hair is wet.

I've been putting protein (Aphogee) and moisturizers (Humecto) in my hair and it feels nice and looks very healthy. That being said (sorry for being longwinded) can I flatiron my hair once a week after deep conditioning and still grow my hair long? (Say yes:yep:)

My hair was waist length back in January '07 (but it was natural then and I only flatiorned about 5 times a year). I've cut about 9 1/2 inches since then (now BSL). My hair is has a medium strand and is very thick and strong. Oh, I can't rollerset because of the underprocessed hair it doesn't smooth out very well.

Thanks for any advice or input ladies:drunk:

Artemis

Sure, I'll bite...:look:

YES!!! :grin:

Just be careful not to abuse it, and don't forgo deep conditioning. And pay attn to what your hair needs. Oh, and don't forget the heat protection. No exceptions.

How's that? :drunk:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
OT, but your hair in the avatar is beautiful!! And yes you can use heat once a week and still maintain growth. Just be sure to moisturize and DC regularly.

almondjoi85

Yes you can flat iron, just use it minimally. Dont use it every single day on super high setting. Use it maybe once a week on a medium to low setting.

mzcris

Yes ma'am your hair can and will grow while flat ironing it. Before I started rollersetting my hair...I was flat ironing my hair once a week and my hair grew with no problems. Continue to deep condition as well...this helps the hair remain strong. I still flat iron from time to time...hope I helped.