Hair lets you know when to BC?

marlajoyw

This idea occurred to me this morning and I was hoping to get your input on it.

Do you think your hair lets you know when it's time to BC?

Some background:

My last relaxer was in February, and I had planned to transition for maybe a year- year and a half before I cut off the relaxed ends. I'm starting a new degree and will be leaving for university in England in about two weeks, so at the beginning of the summer I changed my mind and said I would BC in December for my birthday (26th)/ New Years. New school, new year, new me kind of thing.

Now that it's just about the end of the summer, I'm feeling as though I want to BC NOW. Every time I get around scissors... Even started a thread about it: Transitioning + Scissors = BC? (there are pics by the way :grin: I know how y'all are suckers for pics :lachen:).

When I touch my hair there are relaxed pieces breaking off. No matter how much moisturizing/ deep conditioning, how many protein treatments, how many ACV rinses I do, the hair won't stop breaking now. I'm starting to think this is God's way of telling me to BC; hence the question, "Do you think your hair lets you know when it's time to BC?"

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you all can help me out!

Mine did. Once my relaxed hair started breaking off, and my natural hair was getting too tangles, I knew it was time. I had planned for 2 years, but 10 months is all I got.

I was a long term transitioner...I guess that means that it didn't let me know...but everything turned out well just the same!

I just BC at 14 months post relaxer. No matter how much I kept it moisturized it seemed to BC itself in certain spots but I still resisted the urge until I was at a comfortable length.

I did not transition, but I will say that my hair let me know when it was time to BC. I had 4a/b natural hair that was APL and it was stuck at that length for about 2 years. At long last, I tried a protective style that ended in disaster and it was time.

Hmm...maybe... I'm about 58 weeks post and I've been doing very well on my transition.

HOWEVER, lately, my hair has not been acting right no matter what I do to it. I think it's rebelling becuz I won't cut it. The curls are taking over and I am fighting the urge to cut more than ever. It doesn't even straighten as well as it used to.

I will probably hit the salon in another week or two and make it official.

i transitioned for 11 months and bc because i saw so many youtube videos at the time. i didnt know when i planned on doing it i just knew i wanted to transition. but when i chopped i ended up doing so down to 1 inch of hair so i might as well had never transitioned to begin with lol.

if your hair is breaking then your hair is telling you something. if you cant detangle the two textures then your hair is telling you something. my hair never told me anything except it was thinning lol.

girl who are u telling im so anal bout dates wanting to bc exactly 2 years to the date of my last relaxer and my hair wasnt having that i'll say around like 18 months most of the relaxed ends were broken off and in the 20s months i could barely see any relaxed ends so yea when ur hair is ready to bc it will im proof.

but i couldnt let my hair win over my ocd self lol so i bt big trim lol bout 2 inches off at my 2 year mark to end my transitioning journey but yup ur hair will win the battle if thats what ure asking.

Last edited:
mine sure did let me know....my natural hair let me know it wanted OUT!!! everything i did was resulting in breakage, although i was babying my hair....so i said "what the hey" and BC'd at 12 months post.

Thing is, I'm only six months post. :ohwell: Isn't that kind of early? Maybe my hair was already damaged before, and going natural is just making it more obvious? I'm thinking of BCing next Wed (1st Sept). :yep: If you've looked at the pics, what do you think?

I will say that for the first years I had to do teaking to my regiem for the first year. As my hair got longer I had to change my wash method, styles I choose ect.... I think that if you want ot continue to transition then you are going ot have to find different ways to work around your current issues. I will say too I think that different hair types have to do different things, I know that here are some 3c/4a people that can do a wash and go I can never and anything.

Back