Rollersets also leave hair brittle...HELPPPPPP

chiprecious

I been trying to reduce the direct heat on my hair via rollersetting, however it always leaves my hair brittle. I can comb my hair and snap crackle pop is goes. Also, when I finger comb it instead, I have lots of long strands. SO I tried using Keracare's foam wrap lotion to set with a heat serum...same thing. I've treid WGHO also when I set it...didn't work. Also, if the hair gets dry while setting it, I spritz it with distilled water.

HELP!!! What can I do to possibly get some soft hair from rollersetting???

I never use setting lotion with my rollersets. I apply leave-in after washing and conditioning my hair, extra water so that my hair is dripping wet, an oil to seal in the moisture and a little serum. My hair is always soft and moisturized.

You may want to check out Macherieamour's album and blog on rollersetting.:)

Have you tried using only a leave-in (rusk, giovanni, or lacio lacio) and water. This gives me great soft moisturized curls everytime.

I never use setting lotions, foams etc., because I find they dry my hair out. I just do leave-in, seal with oil and rollerset. Also, I dry on medium heat, and I don't dry completely under the dryer. I sit under the dryer for half an hour just to get the drying started, then it airdries the rest of the way overnight. Soft curls, every time! Good luck!

This could be a problem other than rollersetting. What else do you do to your hair (shampoo, deep condition, etc.)? Maybe it is just very dry, and is breaking even more due to the manipulation of rollersetting?

thesweetone said:
I never use setting lotions, foams etc., because I find they dry my hair out. I just do leave-in, seal with oil and rollerset. Also, I dry on medium heat, and I don't dry completely under the dryer. I sit under the dryer for half an hour just to get the drying started, then it airdries the rest of the way overnight. Soft curls, every time! Good luck!

Hey neighbor! Maybe you can help me with my rollersets! :D

Do you use a creamy leave-in or a liquid one.

I get this problem too. I have to wash my hair every 3-4 days or it dries out from being in the air after a roller set. But if I keep a bun I don't have this issue. I use a NTM silk touch and kemi-oyl.

Giovanni Direct is a GREAT leave-in that can be used as a rollerset. Its a creamy water based leave-in so it doesnt leave your hair brittle or breaking. :grin:

300.jpg

Enriched with certified organic botanicals
restores strength, luster and nourishment to abused hair
moisturizes and builds body
detangles for easy comb-out, easy styling

Ingredients:
Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosemarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (butela alba) oil, Chamomile (anthemis nobilis flower) oil, Clary (salvia sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot leaf (tussilago fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglucinate, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived)

Do you go under a hooded dryer? If so, its better to put it on medium as hot tends to dry my hair out too. I recently set my hair with Giovanni Direct Leave in and Giovanni Frizz Be Gone. It came out so soft, mositurised and shiny, look at my November album in my lonei3 account. Also, as the other ladies said, avoid setting lotion if you can.

HoneyDew said:
Hey neighbor! Maybe you can help me with my rollersets! :D

Do you use a creamy leave-in or a liquid one.

Girl,

I'm still a tryin' to get this leave-in thing down! I've been using qhemet's olive cream detangler and sealing with Jojoba. But I don't really like cream leave-ins. I tried Giovanni Direct and didn't like that either. I've also tried the Giovanni Vita-Pro fusion and didn't like that either. I think the problem with the Giovanni leave-ins for me was the protein. I have to be really careful with protein. Yesterday, I bought a liquid conditioner from Aubrey's Organics called White Camellia and Jasmine Shine conditioner spray. I'm hoping this works. I'll be sealing with Jojoba oil.

Anyone tried Aloe Vera Gel diluted in a spray bottle with water? Havent tried it but i heard it works. Just a suggestion :p

atlien11 said:
Giovanni Direct is a GREAT leave-in that can be used as a rollerset. Its a creamy water based leave-in so it doesnt leave your hair brittle or breaking. :grin:

300.jpg

Enriched with certified organic botanicals
restores strength, luster and nourishment to abused hair
moisturizes and builds body
detangles for easy comb-out, easy styling

Ingredients:
Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosemarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (butela alba) oil, Chamomile (anthemis nobilis flower) oil, Clary (salvia sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot leaf (tussilago fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglucinate, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived)

Did you buy this from the internet or at a BSS?

thesweetone said:
Girl,

I'm still a tryin' to get this leave-in thing down! I've been using qhemet's olive cream detangler and sealing with Jojoba. But I don't really like cream leave-ins. I tried Giovanni Direct and didn't like that either. I've also tried the Giovanni Vita-Pro fusion and didn't like that either. I think the problem with the Giovanni leave-ins for me was the protein. I have to be really careful with protein. Yesterday, I bought a liquid conditioner from Aubrey's Organics called White Camellia and Jasmine Shine conditioner spray. I'm hoping this works. I'll be sealing with Jojoba oil.

Well when I airdry and flatiron, I apply a little liquid leave-in under a creamy on like Pantene restoratives leave in or Giovanni direct and then serum. When my hair is almost dry, I apply a little kemi oil. My hair does well like this.

Sunday i tried rollersetting and I skipped the creamy leave in, serum and oil and just used Pantene's relaxed and natural setting lotion and water - NOT SO GOOD. :ohwell:

I am going to try it again this weekend with a creamy leave in, serum and oil and see if I get that softness and shine like you. :)

CoCoGirl821 said:
Did you buy this from the internet or at a BSS?

In the US, you can apparently get it in Whole Foods or Health Food Stores. You can also get it from several internet sites, namely webvitamins.com or vitaonline.com-do a google search

HoneyDew said:
Well when I airdry and flatiron, I apply a little liquid leave-in under a creamy on like Pantene restoratives leave in or Giovanni direct and then serum. When my hair is almost dry, I apply a little kemi oil. My hair does well like this.

Sunday i tried rollersetting and I skipped the creamy leave in, serum and oil and just used Pantene's relaxed and natural setting lotion and water - NOT SO GOOD. :ohwell:

I am going to try it again this weekend with a creamy leave in, serum and oil and see if I get that softness and shine like you. :)

That sounds like it should work great! Let us know how it turns out.

I think it is the alcohols in the setting lotions that make them so drying. I think I read one post where a sista said that she dilutes her setting lotion because of this. I just opt not to use it at all. Hair gets "accustomed" to roller sets and I find my curl holds just fine without the setting lotion.

Hmm, interesting....I'm definitely going to try no setting lotion or foam and opt for one of the suggested creamy leave ins and try drying on medium.

Thanks ladies! You all are the bestest!:)

lonei said:
Do you go under a hooded dryer? If so, its better to put it on medium as hot tends to dry my hair out too. I recently set my hair with Giovanni Direct Leave in and Giovanni Frizz Be Gone. It came out so soft, mositurised and shiny, look at my November album in my lonei3 account. Also, as the other ladies said, avoid setting lotion if you can.

Lonei what can I say other than let me go get soe Giovanni! Your hair is absolulty gorgeous and sooo healthy!

thesweetone said:
Girl,

You may like Biolage Matrix Daily Leave-In. It's watery and a spray. No protien either. It detangles very well and makes my comb slip through. My rollersets are bouncy, shiny and soft. :yep:

I use the KeraCare foam wrap lotion but still get moisturized sets. If you don't want to let go of it try:

*Using the KeraCare leave-in
*The foam wrap lotion
*Some serum, then roll
*Once I dry I rub in some oil

lonei said:

Girl you making want to go out and buy some of that Giovanni. Your hair looks great in you album. Thanks for sharing

chiprecious said:
Lonei what can I say other than let me go get soe Giovanni! Your hair is absolulty gorgeous and sooo healthy!

Giovanni is the TRUTH! Thanks!

gymfreak336 said:
Girl you making want to go out and buy some of that Giovanni. Your hair looks great in you album. Thanks for sharing

No probs, thanks

Isis said:
You may like Biolage Matrix Daily Leave-In. It's watery and a spray. No protien either. It detangles very well and makes my comb slip through. My rollersets are bouncy, shiny and soft. :yep:
*Off to go and get some Biolage Daily*:look:

I used to use lottabody setting lotion and my rollersets would ALWAYS come out horrible. I switched to leave-ins and that made a BIG DIFFERENCE. I use Phyto Integral-care it gives me alot of slip and protects from the heat while rollersetting.

thesweetone said:

I am loving your PIN CURLS.:)

I find that less i more when I rollerset. I use to have the problem with brittleness, but I kind of do like Isis and it works much better for me. No setting lotions, etc.

when I rollerset I use a creamy leave-in like NTM, Humectress or Sedal Hydraloe w/ a little jojoba oil or botanic oil by Nexxus and my hair is always soft and fluffy. Sometimes I leave the oil out depending on what I DC with I don't need it. I also like to rolerset on 70% wet hair that way I don't spend more than 20-45 min under the dryer.

Okay ladies, I understand that using a leave in instead of the

setting lotion gives softer curls. But what do you use for hold?

If, I dont use setting lotion my curls fall INSTANTLY like

mid-day! :mad: For those of you that use only leave-ins how

long does your rollerset last?

After I rollerset using giovanni & water, I comb out my curls and wrap it up. So im not trying to perserve my curls.

Back