Hair plagarism...

Lovelylocs

Taking one person's hair methods and putting them on your own site as if they are your own.

This site is very innovative. We come up w/so many new techniques and potions! :yep: I've noticed that some people have taken these techniques and put them on blogs, etc. w/o documenting where they got them from. For example, one blog had the hair teas w/o citing who made them up. Now, maybe this blogger was the originator of the hair teas. I honestly don't know who made them up originally. Perhaps, they came from an ayurvedic website, but don't you think that it would be nice to state who the originator of these ideas were. Don't you think we should try to give credit where credit is due? I know that no one has a patent or copyright on this stuff but we are a hair community. And I think we tend to like and respect one another. I know no one is doing this out of malice. But, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Taking one person's hair methods and putting them on your own site as if they are your own.

This site is very innovative. We come up w/so many new techniques and potions! :yep: I've noticed that some people have taken these techniques and put them on blogs, etc. w/o documenting where they got them from. For example, one blog had the hair teas w/o siting who made them up. Now, maybe this blogger was the originator of the hair teas. I honestly don't know who made them up originally. Perhaps, they came from an ayurvedic website, but don't you think that it would be nice to state who the originator of these ideas were. Don't you think we should try to give credit where credit is due? I know that no one has a patent or copyright on this stuff but we are a hair community. And I think we tend to like and respect one another. I know no one is doing this out of malice. But, what do you guys think?

At the bolded is my answer.

Besides, what I understood is that a lot of the "bandwagons" are just old recycled trends. Nothing is really new.......

This site is very innovative. We come up w/so many new techniques and potions! :yep: I've noticed that some people have taken these techniques and put them on blogs, etc. w/o documenting where they got them from. For example, one blog had the hair teas w/o siting who made them up. Now, maybe this blogger was the originator of the hair teas. I honestly don't know who made them up originally. Perhaps, they came from an ayurvedic website, but don't you think that it would be nice to state who the originator of these ideas were. Don't you think we should try to give credit where credit is due? I know that no one has a patent or copyright on this stuff but we are a hair community. And I think we tend to like and respect one another. I know no one is doing this out of malice. But, what do you guys think?

I haven't seen anybody say they invented anything ....Just sharing how they take care of they're hair...I have a blog .....I don't think I'm stealing techniques at all....A lot of this stuff I was doing b4 I got here...When I found you guys I was already approaching Bra-Strap......Also when I use someone's elses blog infos ....or use other sources ...I always post the source with the article.....Black women do not have long hair because of lack of knowledge and miss education ...Everything I learn here or somewhere else I'm going to share with my fellow sisters...I'm not selling anything I'm just sharing what I'm learning...If it wasn't for a blog called the The Coarse Hair Diary I would have never found LHCF ...

IMHO I dont think it is that big of a deal. No one can truly say that they "created" any hair care method. For the most part what I have seen are methods that are years, sometimes centries old that people have taken the time out to research and share with the rest of the community. I feel that people who are posting this information wanted to share the method in the same way. There is really nothing to be "gained" from it.
When I "surf" the web I find so much stuff about hair...some stuff that we don't even talk about. If I were to post some of that stuff and somebody else put it on their blog, I wouldn't care because I did not make it up anyway. I didn't create it, so I don't own it.

I think this would be HARD to do!

For example, just because a memeber on LCHF posted about "brushing her teeth" does not mean that she invented "brushing teeth".

I'm a lurker on other hair boards and many of the "bandwagons" and "challenges" are being discussed/done by others.

Who has the right to say who gets credit.

IMO, as long someone is not stealing personal photos...our hair knowledge is PUBLIC knowledge.:rolleyes:

Yea, I also feel that no ideas are new. Co washes have been around for ages as well as other techniques.Because of that I don't feel I have to cite where i got certain emthods from...dang i'd be citin all day!:nono: All my regimen came form others including fam and friends.

I don't see anything wrong w/ posting something like a hair tea recipe on your personal blog and not referencing where you got it from .... it's all recycled ideas ...besides I have many homemade recipes posted on my fotki....many were inspired by other recipes, but all were personalized to suit my needs in terms of the specific ingredients or amounts used, so I couldn't give credit to another source other than myself even if I wanted to....If my recipe was very similar to someone whose recipe inspired mine and I chose to give that person recognition, I could, but it's a choice......

It's up to the individual to decide if they want to quote the source. In my album, I have quoted sources several times for info that I choose not to paraprase in my own words, etc, but I do not consider it a crime or any disrespect to the hair community or anyone else if I choose not to quote it.

Now if I were making a profit from selling a hair book or gaining huge recognition for my ideas that were really based SOLEY on the EXACT words of others and nothing in the book or nothing I said was original or paraphrased in my own words, then that would consititute plagarism in my opinion....

I don't see anything wrong w/ posting something like a hair tea recipe on your personal blog and not referencing where you got it from .... it's all recycled ideas ...besides I have many homemade recipes posted on my fotki....many were inspired by other recipes, but all were personalized to suit my needs in terms of the specific ingredients or amounts used, so I couldn't give credit to another source other than myself even if I wanted to....If my recipe was very similar to someone whose recipe inspired mine and I chose to give that person recognition, I could, but it's a choice......

It's up to the individual to decide if they want to quote the source. In my album, I have quoted sources several times for info that I choose not to paraprase in my own words, etc, but I do not consider it a crime or any disrespect to the hair community or anyone else if I choose not to quote it.

Now if I were making a profit from selling a hair book or gaining huge recognition for my ideas that were really based SOLEY on the EXACT words of others and nothing in the book or nothing I said was original or paraphrased in my own words, then that would consititute plagarism in my opinion....

Thats exactly what I said ....I'm not selling anything ...just sharing what I've learned!!!

I was just thinking about this and how it's the one thing about sharing stuff that frustrates me a little. This has happened to me quite a few times and it's frustrating to not even get mentioned.

I try to give credit by name where it is due.

ETA........I'm not talking about recipes and products and co-washing and stuff like mentioned. I won't get into anymore detail cuz it's not that serious.

Last edited:
I agree with Lovelylocs.

I think the more black hair websites...the better, because the knowledge is getting spread and thats what we need like Traycee said.

But i've seen sites where people act like they were the ones who discorved what black women must do for healthy hair, or products that work really well ect ect.
I think that you should most certainly state where you learned your info from, or other places that people could go to learn about hair unless you really have no other idea of other sources, or are not aware that it is something to do, or unless you are just explaining your own personal hair journey (not giving a guidebook to what we all have to do for longer hair)------because otherwise, all you are giving people is what you do, and things you know, and you are making them think that you are the end all be all and there is nothing else to learn or other sources to go to

Interesting.

Half the time, I can't even remember WHERE I read about a certain idea at... Usually, if I do remember (and feel like it :lol:) I'll link to a thread that set my mind on the path in the first place.

As long as the info is freely shared and freely given, I don't think it matters, really - it's when people start selling stuff that feelings get hurt.... :nono: I've seen it a couple of times on a couple of different hair boards, and it's never pretty.

I was just thinking about this and how it's the one thing about sharing stuff that frustrates me a little. This has happened to me quite a few times and it's frustrating to not even get mentioned.

ETA........I'm not talking about recipes and products and co-washing and stuff like mentioned. I won't get into anymore detail cuz it's not that serious.

Yeah, i know what you mean.

Its not a big deal at all or anything to get all flustered about imo either, and we all know that anything you've tried of course has been done sometime in the past and that we arent actually creating things....but it kind of sucks if you make a post about something a couple of months ago, and a couple months later someone else posts about it, and it gets branded their method lol.

I've seen peoples tutorials or fotki's where they demonstrate techniques and someone will leave a comment like...please give credit where credit is due so and so from whatever forum had this idea 1st you did not originate this yada yada......
people get all upset like the person who posted the tutorial or picture intentionally left out where or who they learned the technique from when in some cases it could be a group of people that they learned it from and they are just trying to share info that works for them hoping that it can be helpful to someone else :perplexed

Out of lurkdom...IMO...Just share the wealth (knowledge)and reap the benefits (learning something..like a new technique, product that your hair loves)....all because someone else decided to share the wealth.:grin:

Now, if that person decides to take what they learned from the board and make a product out of it....don't hate them for being business minded and taking it to another level.

It's up to you to purchase their product or make your own...which you know you can do because it's ALL RECYCLED KNOWLEDGE!!.:grin::grin:

Happy Hair Growing Ladies and continue sharing!!!

I agree with Lovelylocs.

I think the more black hair websites...the better, because the knowledge is getting spread and thats what we need like Traycee said.

But i've seen sites where people act like they were the ones who discorved what black women must do for healthy hair, or products that work really well ect ect.

:coughcoughCATHYHOWSEcoughcough:

:perplexed

Yeah, i know what you mean.

Its not a big deal at all or anything to get all flustered about imo either, and we all know that anything you've tried of course has been done sometime in the past and that we arent actually creating things....but it kind of sucks if you make a post about something a couple of months ago, and a couple months later someone else posts about it, and it gets branded their method lol.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about....it is pretty frustrating.

I think we should give credit where credit is due.
There is no problem with sharing tips and tricks but please don't act like you invented co-washing,bunning etc. when you were damn near bald before LHCF.:ohwell:

i usually say if i where i got a specific idea/technique from... cuz i usually alter it to fit my needs better. i think it's important so others know the original and then my modified version so they can see one size doesn't fit all, but you can find a way to make a good thing work in your favor.

and if anyone here thinks i stole their idea/technique and didn't give them credit, i gladly apologize... make me aware of it and i'll give you your dues. :lachen:

I agree. Give the person some recognition by simply mentioning thier name. Some people won't give advice and when some are gracious enough to give excellent advice, I think it is nice to mention thier name. It wouldn't take much time at all.

I wonder how Wanakee and Cathy Howse feel. They have been hair plagarised to no end.

There is a website called Shima Hair.com where this lady basically took Wanakee's message about the benefits of protective styling a step further and wrote a book and is now making money.

Also Cathy Howse taught how to balance protien with moisture. I benefited from this knowledge and try to recognize her when I get the opportunity.

I think it would be nice to show appreciation by giving a little shout out, cyber kiss, hug or sumpin':yep:

Last edited:
It is a little presumptuous to believe that all of a person's hair knowledge originated from LHCF (or any hair board) simply because it was available here. Like others mentioned, many of these ideas are not new and many members read other boards as well. Many of these methods can be found on other boards and not just those dedicated to black women. This board was a spinoff too!

If I were to write a a blog and included the following ideas:

bunning, sealing with oil, minimal heat, mild relaxing, using food sources for hair, MSM, vitamins, pin curling, cross wrapping, straw setting, air drying, saran wrap, crisco for the face or hair, co-washing/rinsing and many more..............
someone would think I should give the credit to LHCF or Cathy House, or a hair board in general, and that assumption should not be made. Many accumulate knowledge from their child hood, personal discovery, friends, reading, stylists and their varied cultural experiences.

Believe it or not, there are other women who still don't join hair boards, and use some of the same methods & techniques. I have seen some stylist videos/dvds, and hair show demos that are identical to those I have seen on a member's blog or youtube! I know which one came first, but I don't assume the member plagiarized the method!

There is nothing new under the sun!

ETA: my thoughts on Shima excluded from the above post!

Last edited:
Some things are just general knowledge - and discussing it just brings it into the forefront so people can evaluate and try out. When you think about - people have been bunning/braiding/headwrapping/wearing wigs for centuries - I don't know if they consider it protective styling to retain length. :lachen:

Sort of off topic but:
In general recipes cannot be copyrighted under law - they can be trademarked and kept a secret - and you can sue if someone else if they steal your formula and try to make a profit off of it (some employees from Pepsi tried to sell info to Coke and got caught and went to jail for it)

Back on topic: I have seen Sistaslicks article on associated content on protein/moisture and wet assessment, etc. on other blogs/hairboards and copied word for word w/ no credit given to her and that is definitely plagarism.

ITA with all of the above. Much of what I now do to my head is an amalgam of info and ideas from many sources. I have no problem sharing knowledge. I have no problem citing sources when appropriate. It's easy to do if many others before you attribute a certain technique to someone in particular. You just follow suit, even though you know it's not 100% an original idea of that person, or a new spin on something that's already been done. It's ultimately a choice.

Back