Hair Style Suggestions for Jamaica Trip

Egyptjones

Hola!

I am planning to go to Jamaica in 2 weeks :eek: !! Time is flying and I am starting to think about what I am going to do with my hair.
I thought briefly about braids but I am not really a braid person (have only had my hair braided twice in my life) and not a full weave gurl either. I am thinking roller set when I get there and will just wear that for the rest of the week and should it get "tired" switch to a braid out or twist out. A good ole ' ponytail or bun could work also.

I am not planning on going swimming because I don't find swimming fun. It is only to be initiated in a "I could possibly drown" situation!! FOR REAL!

What did you do with your hair while in Jamaica? I am so clueless!

Katt73

Hey Egypt! I'm heading to Jamaica with my SO on Thursday!

I was so happy to see Crlsweetie's flat twists! I'm not a cornrow type girl either, but I thought these were adorable. Here's a link:
http://public.fotki.com/crlsweetie912/all-hair-all-the-time/styles/flat_twist_5_14_06.html

I'm going to try it tonight, but I may use a phony bun or pony in the back. If I get it right, I'll post pictures.

What part of Jamaica are you visiting? We're going to MoBay. Have a great time!

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
EgyptJ: I have the EXACT same dilemma! My SO is sooooo through with me thinking out loud trying to figure out what to do with my hair for our trip:lol: The best ideas I've come up with thus far are:
1) A funky cornrow style with a long curly extension/puff at the back (Alicia Keys style)
2) Addition of a few tracks from the crown for added length (I'm currently shoulder length) and treat my hair as normal (washing/condition/moisturize/airdry/braid-out)
3) Full weave.

I know you said you're not into weaves or braid, so sorry I don't have many alteratives for your trip. I suppose if you're not doing the water/swimming thing you'll be good with any low-maintenance style, such as a braid-out or a cute single braid for daytime.

Finewine

I wore a bun every day and no make up b/c it is unbelievably hot this time of year. Other than your resort, most (if not all) stores/restaurants/clubs on the island do not have air conditioning (just fans) so it depends on where you anticipate spending most of your time. I did not live in the tourist area so I had no air conditioning at all.

Egyptjones

Thanks for the ideas!!

That twist style is really cute. I guess I am a lil confused because I am not overly familiar with the weather so I am going to just style my hair like I do it when I go to Miami and just hope for the best. My phoney afro puff would work nicely too..hummmmm...

If is starts looking a ruckus, I'll be promptly smacking a rubber band and a headband on the situation.

A friend thst is going on the trip also thinks he is going to talk me into going swimming.....he JUST don't know! By the time I put on my goggles (no water in the eyes...salt, fresh, chlorinated or otherwise), nose clip (water up da nose...NO WAY) and ear plugs (prone to swimmer's ear) it will be nightfall! And the funny thing is IF/WHEN, I have swam in the past, my hair is pretty far down on the list of concerns..lol

DUH! Forgot to say where I am visiting....Montego Bay and Ochos Rios!!

Last edited:

dillard

Egyptjones said:
A friend thst is going on the trip also thinks he is going to talk me into going swimming.....he JUST don't know! By the time I put on my goggles (no water in the eyes...salt, fresh, chlorinated or otherwise), nose clip (water up da nose...NO WAY) and ear plugs (prone to swimmer's ear) it will be nightfall! And the funny thing is IF/WHEN, I have swam in the past, my hair is pretty far down on the list of concerns..lol

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

i've been wondering the same thing cuz I'm going to Jamaica (St. Elizabether, notthe tourist area) in August for a wedding. I know it's going to be sweltering by then so I'm starting to pray from NOW! I'm loving crlsweetie's flat twists, I'm thinking I might get that style with braids or extensions somehow?!

Crissi

dillard said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

i've been wondering the same thing cuz I'm going to Jamaica (St. Elizabether, notthe tourist area) in August for a wedding. I know it's going to be sweltering by then so I'm starting to pray from NOW! I'm loving crlsweetie's flat twists, I'm thinking I might get that style with braids or extensions somehow?!

St Liz WOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, lol ok now that im done there, it sounds like you have a plan i doubt your going to want hair all up on your neck in the heat, however i noticed my hair tends to hold moisture well out there, so i doubt you'd have to worry bout it drying out, u may need a humidity block (maybe aveda?) to prevent frizz, because all i know is that all that moisture in the air will frizz you up good, i started out with a press and landed with a fro :lol:

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

The islands are sweltering this time of the year...well it is June and not July/Aug...but still hot. You may want to do a nice, slick, pretty bun. Use some aloe vera gel or vitapoint headress, with some light oil and give yourself a neat shiny pulled-back do (at least to look good for your vacation pics).

Shape up the eyebrows and wear some lipgloss and you should be good to go. With some killer shades and a nice hat...that looks chic.

If you wear a rollerset, pin it up, with bundled curls and loose ringlets on top of your crown....that would be pretty too. Or maybe a flexirod set - as they fall, it looks prettier and prettier thru-out the week. As long as you can pull it up away from the heat and not feel and look dissheveled, then you're hair will be fine. HAVE FUN and have a drink or two for me!!