**HELP** Going to Jamaica... hair dilemma!

cocopuff06

So I'm going to Jamaica in two weeks and I will be staying in Kingston with my cousins. Right now I have been rockin my fro, twistouts, puffs, and wash-n- gos and am really enjoying my natural hair. My family has already been trying to tell me to go back to a relaxer, but now that I am going to Jamaica, they are saying that natural hair is not an option. I thought this would be the perfect time for me to have my hair in different natural styles, but they said that since I will be with the natives, I could be mistaken for being a rastafarian which could cause a lot of problems for me and for my fam. While I don't want to change myself for anyone else, I don't want to cause any problems for anyone and I don't be so stubborn that it could put me in any danger.... any suggestions or advice??

I had kinky twists and they said NO... They don't really like micro- braids, but feel that might be better than my fro.... my mom said I should get it pressed, but that would be gone the day I hit the beach... HELP!!!

JustKiya

So I'm going to Jamaica in two weeks and I will be staying in Kingston with my cousins. Right now I have been rockin my fro, twistouts, puffs, and wash-n- gos and am really enjoying my natural hair. My family has already been trying to tell me to go back to a relaxer, but now that I am going to Jamaica, they are saying that natural hair is not an option. I thought this would be the perfect time for me to have my hair in different natural styles, but they said that since I will be with the natives, I could be mistaken for being a rastafarian which could cause a lot of problems for me and for my fam. While I don't want to change myself for anyone else, I don't want to cause any problems for anyone and I don't be so stubborn that it could put me in any danger.... any suggestions or advice??

I had kinky twists and they said NO... They don't really like micro- braids, but feel that might be better than my fro.... my mom said I should get it pressed, but that would be gone the day I hit the beach... HELP!!!

*blink* I'll wait for someone from Jamaica to weigh in on this, but it sounds like your family might be exaggerating things a wee bit in order to pressure you to have straight hair.

Personally, I'd wear my hair as I pleased, and deal with ignorant folks there same as I would ignorant folks here.

:nono:

Damn shame.

cocopuff06

I was thinking the same thing. I think its a two- part issue. When I talk to people from the islands or even from friends from different countries in Africa, they say that when you are going back home after being in AMERICA, you have to look like you are coming from AMERICA, not from down the block. And that not being haughty or thinking your are better than them, it just builds a level of respect... I'm not all the way with this, but I can kinda feel them. And then the other part is that Kingston is no Negril or Motego Bay... not a tourist area. And if I go there looking like Bob Marley's lil sister, I could end up in a situation that I shouldn't be in.

I don't want my imagination to run too wild with this, but I wouldn't want my family that is there to feel uncomfortable.

I hope there is someone on here from another country or who visits non- tourist areas that might have some advice too

MAMATO

In Haiti, natural hair would not be a problem at all. No offense, they would probably think that you don't have enough money to get a relaxer :lachen:But that's it... No kidding ...but you know how people in those tropical countries can be ...

That's the first time I hear this one. We don't have rastafarians in Haiti though, so maybe the mindset is different in Jamaica.

Kiki82

Sorry girlie, but your family is exaggerating....My family is from jamaica and I asked them how can jamaicans tell you are from foreign?? They mostly say the way americans dress...so I don't think that it would be a problem to wear your natural hair...

Other options if you don't want to wear your natural hair:

*Braids (I think that this is the easiest style)
*Weave
* if you decide to wear your hair...you can always do a wash and go style

Kiki82

Last edited:

hrtbndr21

Well if you must I would just weave it up. You can appease the family and keep your natural tresses intact for your return home.

cocoaluv

Sorry girlie, but your family is exaggerating....My family is from jamaica and I asked them how can jamaicans tell you are from foreign?? They mostly say the way americans dress...so I don't think that it would be a problem to wear your natural hair...

*Weave

Kiki82
Bingo. When I go they tell me I'm from foreign because of what I wear and how I speak. Whenever I went I had braids so I dont think hair was ever an issue.

Menina Preta

Hmm, I'm not Jamaican, but I hang out with lots of them and I grew up in a West Indian neighborhood and family, and I've never ever heard of anyone in Jamaica confusing a natural head that's unlocked with a Rasta. One of my friends who is from JA and is going there in August has natural hair and comes from a pretty conservative JA family. Never has she expressed apprehension about going down there with her 'fro.

Have you ever been to Jamaica? If not, your fam is just trying to play on your naivete (sp?). Keep it moving and rock your 'fro!

cocopuff06

have you thought about a sew in weave?

Yea, that is a good idea... I didn't even think about it.

Isn't it ironic that I "need" to have striaght hair to go to an island!?! I was SO looking forward to putting a big beautiful flower in my fro... I don't even get weaves here!!! I really don't know much about weaves... its pretty much been braids and relaxers for me.... how can I do a weave that will look natural, will not have my hair out, and will not have that bump on top, nor that ambiguous part in the front!?! Is that possible!?

sunnydaze

Yea, that is a good idea... I didn't even think about it.

Isn't it ironic that I "need" to have striaght hair to go to an island!?! I was SO looking forward to putting a big beautiful flower in my fro... I don't even get weaves here!!! I really don't know much about weaves... its pretty much been braids and relaxers for me.... how can I do a weave that will look natural, will not have my hair out, and will not have that bump on top, nor that ambiguous part in the front!?! Is that possible!?

Coco..they gon' pay for your weave? I mean if they are insisting you have your hair a certain way..why not have them foot the bill.

Blaque*Angel

*blink* I'll wait for someone from Jamaica to weigh in on this, but it sounds like your family might be exaggerating things a wee bit in order to pressure you to have straight hair.

Personally, I'd wear my hair as I pleased, and deal with ignorant folks there same as I would ignorant folks here.

:nono:

Damn shame.

ITA :perplexed

Wow

why are your fam so against natural hair?

how old are you?

if you had locks then maybe you'd get mistaken for a rastafarian :rolleyes: and??? there wont be any "tribal wars!" :lol:

i usually wear small twists,twist outs, cornrows,(and any other style i felt like wearing)
wash my hair in waterfalls, use coconuts straight from the tree, castor oil is very easy to find, baggie at night....
and by the time i come home, i have 3-4 inches growth!!!

options are certainly not limited in JA

I think candy_c and den1 (godsno1girl) both have great threads on here about hair growth/jamaica, please do a search :)

Last edited:

cocoaluv

Coco..they gon' pay for your weave? I mean if they are insisting you have your hair a certain way..why not have them foot the bill.
Exactly!!!

All of my family is Jamaican and believe me no one is gonna confuse you for a Rasta just cuz you are natural. If you dont have dreads how in the world would anyone assume you are a rasta (even with dreads nowadays since everyone and their mother is getting them). Getting a weave and then going to the beach and pool imo is a waste. Just go with your natural hair and have fun.

cocopuff06

*Weave
* if you decide to wear your hair...you can always do a wash and go style

Kiki82

Yea I figured seeing how I dress and listening to me talk would be more than enough. I think I may go with the braids or weave ONLY because I could be 100% (well more like 90%... gotta moisturize and clean) free from doing anything with my hair

MJ

I'm from Jamaica as well and when I go back I see so many beautiful natural styles it motivates me to stay natural. But then again, I usually stay in Montego Bay or Westmoreland. I've heard that Kingston is very different.

BTW, You don't even have to open your mouth for people to know that you don't live there.

TwinkleToes

Hi Cocopuff

Your dilemma forced me to unlurk and actually post. I do also think a little exaggeration is going on. I'm Jamaican and I go to Jamaica twice a year to visit my family and I wear my hair in whatever style I choose. Since my BC it has been wash-n-gos since those are easy and I'm lazy :yawn:. There are lots of women in JA who wear natural styles and look great. Those styles have been fairly popular for as long as I can remember. You won't be mistaken for a Rasta.

I do understand your mother's concerns. Old school Jamaicans (my mother also) don't believe you are properly put together unless your hair is relaxed. However I don't belive your hairstyle will get you in trouble. Rather you need to be cautious about where you go and what you do. Be alert and avoid situations that may lead to trouble.

I second the idea of braids (box braids or cornrows/canerows in JA) because Kingston is very hot in the summer and you'll need a style that will keep you cool.

I hope you have a great time. Jamaica is really a lovely place (i'm biased) and the culture is remarkable (i'm biased).

cocopuff06

Hmm, I'm not Jamaican, but I hang out with lots of them and I grew up in a West Indian neighborhood and family, and I've never ever heard of anyone in Jamaica confusing a natural head that's unlocked with a Rasta. One of my friends who is from JA and is going there in August has natural hair and comes from a pretty conservative JA family. Never has she expressed apprehension about going down there with her 'fro.

Have you ever been to Jamaica? If not, your fam is just trying to play on your naivete (sp?). Keep it moving and rock your 'fro!

I think you are dead on with that... I just don't know what to expect and they know that. I don't think they have bad intentions, but their advice may have some merit to it.

Isn't that the truth!

ITA :perplexed

Wow

why are your fam so against natural hair?

how old are you?

if you had locks then maybe you'd get mistaken for a rastafarian :rolleyes: and??? there wont be any "tribal wars!" :lol:

i usually wear small twists,twist outs, cornrows,(and any other style i felt like wearing)
wash my hair in waterfalls, use coconuts straight from the tree, castor oil is very easy to find, baggie at night....
and by the time i come home, i have 3-4 inches growth!!!

options are certainly not limited in JA

I think candy_c and den1 (godsno1girl) both have great threads on here about hair growth/jamaica, please do a search :)

I think within my family there is a major light skinned vs dark skinned "good" hair vs "bad" hair complex and I am always the rebel. I love my dark skin and I love sitting out in the sun, getting darker! As much as my mom always wanted me to have long, straight flowing hair, I always wore braids and for the past few months I have been wearing out in its natural state. They don't care for it, but they know that I'm not going to change it. Everyone in my family knows that not only am I stubborn, but most importantly, I'm gonna do what works best for me. I respect and value their opinion on this since I have never been, and its the only reason I am even entertaining this! Once I go and come back, I'm sure I will be much more at ease and have my own opinion to go by for future visits.

So I really appreciate everyone's advice ... Thanks a bunch, ladies!

Kiki82

Hi Cocopuff

Your dilemma forced me to unlurk and actually post. I do also think a little exaggeration is going on. I'm Jamaican and I go to Jamaica twice a year to visit my family and I wear my hair in whatever style I choose. Since my BC it has been wash-n-gos since those are easy and I'm lazy :yawn:. There are lots of women in JA who wear natural styles and look great. Those styles have been fairly popular for as long as I can remember. You won't be mistaken for a Rasta.

I do understand your mother's concerns. Old school Jamaicans (my mother also) don't believe you are properly put together unless your hair is relaxed. However I don't belive your hairstyle will get you in trouble. Rather you need to be cautious about where you go and what you do. Be alert and avoid situations that may lead to trouble.

I second the idea of braids (box braids or cornrows/canerows in JA) because Kingston is very hot in the summer and you'll need a style that will keep you cool.

I hope you have a great time. Jamaica is really a lovely place (i'm biased) and the culture is remarkable (i'm biased).

no you are not....a true!!:grin:

HoneyCurlz

I say, just wear braids. It will save you the trouble of worrying about your hair and appease your family at the same time.

Kiki82

Bingo. When I go they tell me I'm from foreign because of what I wear and how I speak. Whenever I went I had braids so I dont think hair was ever an issue.

that's true too....but even before you speak they already know just by the way you dress....

HoneyCurlz

BTW, You don't even have to open your mouth for people to know that you don't live there.

This is sooo true! Nobody ever mistaken me for Jamaican when I was in JA....Even before I opened my mouth, several people asked me where I was from. :yep:

Caramela

Wow, that's weird. I don't know. Maybe you could get cornrows and wear wigs.

cocopuff06

Hi Cocopuff

Well thanks for posting for the first time in my thread! I really appreciate your opinion; I know my mom is crazy (haha!) but I knew she wasn't THAT crazy and that she is not the only one that would feel that way. Yes, its an old school mentality and seeing that I will be meeting a lot of family, young and old, for the first time, I have to keep those things in mind. I certainly will just be very alert and mindful of my surroundings and I will definitely stick with my family because I'm sure they know where I should or should not go.

I think I will get braids so that I can keep cool without worrying.

I absolutely can't wait to go! I'm sure I will just be blown away! Thanks again!

Phoenix14

I am Jamaican and I went back to JA to visit last year with my hair in twists and had no problems. No one thought I was a foreigner until I opened my mouth (my accent wasn't that strong in the beginning of my trip). You will be fine with your fro.

cocopuff06

I'd love to know as well :look:

I'm 24... I really don't think my age is relevant... I'm grown, I live on my own, I take care of myself, and I don't wait on "mommy and daddy" to tell me what to do, nor am I the type that cannot take a step without them dictating it. As I said before, I value their opinion in the situation since I have never been and would not want to cause any discomfort for my relatives.