HAIR STYLIST? WHAT DO YOU THINK

jaelje

I WAS JUST WANDERING, TO ALL THOSE OUT THERE WITH LONG HEALTY HAIR HAIR, DO YOU GO TO A HAIR STYLIST ON A REGULAR BASIS(EVERY TWO TO THREE WEEKS). i WANTED TO KNOW BECAUSE I SEE THAT ALOT OF YOU DO YOUR OWN HAIR AND IT LOOKS GREAT.

i AM ALSO TRANSITIONING FROM RELAXED TO MY NATURAL HAIR, AND WAS WANDERING IF I SHOULD INCULDE MY HAIR STYLIST IN THE PROCESS

I do my own hair, and it's longer than it has ever been in the past 35 years. My 4B mildly-relaxed/texturized hair is 3 inches past my shoulders and fast on its way to my bra strap. However, I am technologically challenged and, unfortunately, am unable to provide you with any pictures. I gave up on hair stylists several years ago and began wearing a phony pony for several years!! Finally, last year, I started giving attention to taking care of my own hair, and with great results and many compliments. Unfortunately, I believe that "hair stylists" are just that; attentive to styling and inattentive to haircare or the client's wishes.

aqualung

I'm taking a break from doing my hair between touchups.

I'm going bi- or tri-weekly to a Dominican salon for inexpensive rollersets this spring and summer. But I've been relaxed for a year now, and before I was just visiting the salon for touchups. Either way, I'll reach brastrap sometime this year.

See also a thread called Growling Long Hair - Professional or Self Care?

Aisha

I used to be a big advocate for going to the salon, especially for chemical services but I have to agree with 3844, most "hair stylist" are inept when it comes to actually caring for hair or are so money hungry that they don't care about the clients hair...I have had a few that would tell me they have "growing hands" and all I had to do was come to see her every two weeks at $35 a visit...yeah right...

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
Aisha said:
I have had a few that would tell me they have "growing hands" and all I had to do was come to see her every two weeks at $35 a visit...yeah right...

[/ QUOTE ]

BrEE

i've been doing my hair since joining this board and am veryyyyyy happy i did. i never liked the way my stylist ripped my hair out cause she wouldnt take her time to detangle my hair.and i hated how she would trim my hair without my permission. my hair has been doing much better since i decided to do it myself.

Only for touchups. I had always done them myself but once i let her do it i liked the stylist results better and i don't get burned to all hell anymore.