Hairgrowth and Hypothyroidism

Candy1978

Hey Ladies, Just want to know if any ladies have had difficulties growing out their hair with hypothyroidism and taking medication. Seems like since I started the meds, my hair growth is at a complete standstill. ANy advice, hair concoctions, would be appreciated! -

QBOE2001

I take .200mcg of levrothyroxine daily. My hair growth actually sped up after about a month and a half of taking the medication. Whenever I go off of the medication though i've noticed a substantial increase in shedding. I didn't need to change my program up at all...the hair just starting sprouting back up once my TSH levels balanced back out to normal. I'm sure the same will happen for you just hang in there.

SelfStyled

My TSH levels have "allegedly" been in the right range for about 7 years, and STILL my hair grows so s-l-o-w-l-y. I wish I could offer you some nice suggestions, but I am equally perplexed. I make sure I take a multi every day.

theoneandonly

I gotta start taking a multi vitamin too. I haven't noticed a difference with my meds. I take synthroid. The growth rate has been the same for me. But after my meds, my hair is not as dry/brittle/shedding.

SelfStyled

^^^I take Synthroid too. Knock on wood, I think I have conquered the dry and brittleness of my hair. MSM has dramatically reduced my shedding to regular.

Last edited:

fitnessmommy

The "right" range has changed drastically in the last few years. It used to be acceptable to be anywhere between 0.5 TSH and 5.0 & a lot of doctors still go by this rule of thumb. However, there have been studies recently that show if your TSH levels are between 0.5 and 3.0 then there are less issues and symptoms experienced by the patient. Maybe have your doctor bump up your meds if you are at the high end of the range. Also, check out "The Thyroid Diet" by Mary Shomon...very interesting and empowering book for those of us who suffer from this affliction.