hard and unmanageable new growth

inthestars

I found the answer to the question, 'Why do women with chemically processed hair have hard and unmanageable new growth?' on this page:

http://www.bbahneycomm.com/longhairlovers/dlow.html

Hair is a storage for whatever is in your system. For example, when people are tested for drugs they take a strand of the hair. The chemicals in the system will show in your hair, and the new growth is tight, hard, and dry because the chemicals are still coming out on this strand. The most damage from chemicals comes through the new growth and laying a touch up on hair that contains residual chemical further weakens and thins the hair strand. If you are transitioning from a relaxer, there is no need to cut all of your hair off. The hair will continue to grow the relaxer out for up to 5 years. Every 8-12 months you will notice a change of texture in your hair. All you can do is keep the hair healthy and gradually cut the dead ends off.

inthestars

yes, 5 years.. I believe it can take that long. I can pull a few strands from one spot in my head and two will be soft and the other one will be hard with strange bumps in the strand.. now, very thin fine soft strands are starting to pop up in my hair (I've never seen hair like that in my head before)

Babygurl

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
That's interesting...but I don't really "get" the part about moisturizers not being good.

[/ QUOTE ]

ME either.

silvergirl

i dont believe in scab hair, i know some women who cut off all thier hair , an in a month theyll have the nappiest of nappy hair yet it will be so soft an not hard at all. *shrugs* my new growth is nice and wavy and not hard at all, im only 6 1/2 months into transitioning and i really dont believe it could possibly get any softer or straighter.

ms_kenesha

I'm not a believer in scab hair either only because I know so many women who have very soft newgrowth all the time and others who always have hard newgrowth, I think it's a texture thing.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
My new growth was hard and unmanageable until I found decent products. After that it was smooth sailing. And there's a big difference between chemicals entering the body orally and chemicals being applied to your scalp for a max 20 minutes a few times a year.

Have you all read the reports about the corpses of women who relax and/or permanently color their hair having a green gooey ooze under the scalps? Yikes! If this is true, wouldn't they have other diseases, too?

S

Stylepink

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Have you all read the reports about the corpses of women who relax and/or permanently color their hair having a green gooey ooze under the scalps? Yikes! If this is true, wouldn't they have other diseases, too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ewwwww Yuck. where did u read that!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I don't know if it's true. It doesn't sound true... I read it on a natural hair site. I never really looked for any other info on it.

gvsugirl

[ QUOTE ]
Stylepink said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ewwwww Yuck. where did u read that!

[/ QUOTE ]

now im scured

Blacktresses

Yes...I have heard that. Try explaining that to women that perm now!!!! They looked at me like I'm
crazy and want to knock me in the head
Truth is kinda hard sometimes (I guess)

kerplunky

That "green goo" thing is NOT true. I've read it before and it freaked me out too, so I did a lil' research. FALSE. I'll try to find some links for y'all ...

BUT, don't be scurred. There's plenty of reasons not to relax your hair. That's not one of them.