No Wonder We Struggle with our Hair (WOT RUBBISH)

kizzylonghair

Was on the internet and came across this, And as usual more misguided info
for our sister. A shampoo alone can change our Hair!!!!!!!!
I am so glad we have all found this site.Its is just another person trying to cash in on OUR DREAM.

I was so dissappointed to read, some of the general info is correct but this goes against everything we do ( And we all cant be wrong)

If any has used this system would be great to hear from you.

An Interview with Mrs. Dorothy Low,
founder of the D.Low Shampoo System

By Renee` Willingham

As a young-black female, I have struggled with this "hair thing" for over 12 years. My hair has been chemically processed, since I was 10 years old. My mother didn't know what to do with my long, coarse, and kinky hair because she is of mixed ethnic descent and a relaxer seemed like an answer to all of the long hours in the salon for a press and curl. I watched my hair from going back length to above my ears. I have tried every product out there and been to numerous hair salons. Nothing ever seemed to work, exasperated and tired I was ready to give up on having my childhood hair back.

Finally in college, I have found an excellent product that works for black hair without chemically processing it. The D. Low Shampoo System is a revolutionary hair care product that maintains the hair by replenishing it with natural oils without changing the natural structure of your hair and does what chemicals only promised to do. Regardless of your hair type it becomes healthier, which promotes growth and accumulated length.

I had the pleasure of candidly interviewing Mrs. Dorothy Low, the creator of the shampoo system and owner of Alternatives hair salon in Atlanta, Georgia, about black hair care maintenance and common misconceived ideas about hair products.

Why is Afro-American hair so unique?
The Afro-American has been given perfect hair; however, we have been mislead by the hair-care industry and taken advantage of by our ignorance of hair knowledge. African-American hair has excellent elasticity but because the hair is tightly coiled the natural oils can not reach the hair strand. Thus, the hair looks dry and ashy. Black hair is like the beautiful lamb's hair. It is naturally soft but just like wool's hair it will get bushy at the ends because oil cannot reach the ends. The oils must be replaced by placing oil on the hair strand. The D. Low Shampoo System helps control elasticity and adds oil to the hair. The direct heat from the blow dryer, curling, and pressing iron sets the oil in. With every shampoo the hair becomes more manageable.

Why are moisturizers and grease bad for Afro-American hair?
Moisturizer for Black hair is like grease is to the Caucasian or naturally straight hair. Moisturizers draw elasticity and natural oils out of the hair. Moisturizers are the last things that black hair needs. Black hair needs oil on the strand. Don't put grease on the scalp and hair. Grease weighs the hair down, attracts dirt, and does not penetrate the hair. Please don't use conditioners that are moisturizing in the hair. Hair must be kept in a growing state and using methods of grooming that build the hair up and place oil onto the hair strand will help the hair to grow. Grease only clogs the pores and holds moisture in and keeps the hair holding a smell. Air cannot get to the scalp and keeps the roots dry and hard. Grease knocks moisture into the hair, retarding your own natural oil and eliminates keeping a straight style. The key is using correct shampoos that act as a catalyst to keeping a great hairstyle. All my products are natural and oil based.

Why do women with relaxed hair seem to be plagued by dandruff?
Chemicals dry out the hair strand and scalp, thus causing dandruff. The scalp will eventually purge the chemicals after relaxing has ended and the hair will again be soft and the oils will be replaced to the scalp. The right shampoo will eliminate dry scalp. Check with a dermatologist if dandruff is chronic.

Can I use the system if I am transitioning from a relaxer to a natural style?
This is the perfect product to come out of relaxers. The new growth will become soft and every 8-12 months the hair texture will become softer. It can take up to 5 years to completely grow a relaxer out of the hair system. As the hair grows out, you will notice a difference in textures and see how soft your natural hair will become. The new growth will be manageable and easily maintained. If you decide to continue to relax the hair, the hair will be soft and need to be relaxed no more than 3-4 times a year. My products soften the hair with oil.

Do I need a deep treatment with heat?
Absolutely not! Only use a deep treatment, if it has been prescribed by a dermatologist. Nothing can repair hair better then a pair of scissors.

Are protein treatments good for my hair?
I only recommend placenta for people coming out of weaves and wigs. The hair is lifeless and fragile. Don't use the syrupy protein treatments, which make the hair hard and dry. Manufacturers know that the chemicals have damaged the hair and want you to buy something that will only exacerbate the problem. The D. Low system will treat the damaged hair and bring it back to life. There are no miracles in a bottle, only maintenance can yield healthy hair.

Why use heat?
All heat is damaging, if you are using the wrong products. Heat will seal in the oils of the D. Low system. My system uses heat for healthy hair. The hair will be light, fluffy, and never heavy. Even if you don't use the blow dryer, your hair will still be much more manageable.

How do I maintain my hairstyle?
All products in the D. Low shampoo system can be used for maintenance. Treating the hair with D. Low Shampoo System will yield positive results. The press and curl will last from shampoo to shampoo.

Why do women with chemically processed hair have hard and unmanageable new growth?
Hair is a storage for whatever is in your system. For example, when people are tested for drugs they take a strand of the hair. The chemicals in the system will show in your hair, and the new growth is tight, hard, and dry because the chemicals are still coming out on this strand. The most damage from chemicals comes through the new growth and laying a touch up on hair that contains residual chemical further weakens and thins the hair strand. If you are transitioning from a relaxer, there is no need to cut all of your hair off. The hair will continue to grow the relaxer out for up to 5 years. Every 8-12 months you will notice a change of texture in your hair. All you can do is keep the hair healthy and gradually cut the dead ends off.

Can vitamins help my hair? ( The Only Bit I Agree with )
The hair can be nourished with vitamins that are targeted for the hair. Healthy hair grows without anything, but remember that the hair has to be kept in a growing state. My biotin and zinc vitamins help keep the hair rich in color and growing. They are made by the hair and scalp clinics for sickle cell anemia patients. These patients have weak, fragile and thinning hair and their hair shows remarkable improvement after using the vitamins. The fingernails will grow stronger and you will also have increased energy. It sparks the active phase of healthy hair growth, showing a noticeable difference in volume and texture of the hair with continued daily use. I highly recommend this for sparse and thinning hair.

Final comments?
Back in the Madame C.J. Walker days, Black women had long and healthy hair. Only now, when chemicals are prevalent are many sisters losing their hair. My products are revolutionary because they keep the hair from reverting as Madame C.J. Walker's products did not, and keeps the hair light without the use of hair grease.

To the Hair Beautician:
This is a new millennium and we have come full circle with hair care, from natural styles to chemicals and back to natural styles. Don't get left in the past. Learn how to style Afro-American hair without chemicals. Give every black woman the opportunity to have healthy hair that grows without problems.

More information is available through:

Alternatives Beauty Salon & Hair Products
2135-A Defoor Hills, NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30318
404-351-9585 (Salon)
1-800-669-7630 (Order Products)

MrsQueeny

Girl I so agree with you:
5 years to grow out a relaxer and just keep cutting. She is crazy and wants someone to buy her products. I do believe you may still have chemicals in your system but I don't believe that. I have been natural for 3 years and my texture has not changed at all. Maybe because I have not used her products, Please. I will just keep getting excellent tips from the ladies on this board, Thank you. I'm someone will believe it though.

KathyMay

kizzylonghair said:
Moisturizer for Black hair is like grease is to the Caucasian or naturally straight hair. Moisturizers draw elasticity and natural oils out of the hair. Moisturizers are the last things that black hair needs. Black hair needs oil on the strand. Don't put grease on the scalp and hair. Grease weighs the hair down, attracts dirt, and does not penetrate the hair. Please don't use conditioners that are moisturizing in the hair. Hair must be kept in a growing state and using methods of grooming that build the hair up and place oil onto the hair strand will help the hair to grow. Grease only clogs the pores and holds moisture in and keeps the hair holding a smell. Air cannot get to the scalp and keeps the roots dry and hard. Grease knocks moisture into the hair, retarding your own natural oil and eliminates keeping a straight style. The key is using correct shampoos that act as a catalyst to keeping a great hairstyle. All my products are natural and oil based.

She is trying to brainwash folks who don't even know better. I agree on what she is saying about the grease but MOISTURIZERS!!! Ever since I have joined LHCF my whole hair care regimen has revolved around con. washes, deep conditioning and moisturizing my hair. I think she is crazy.

Valerie

Unfortunately people want to grow long healthy hair, because these people know that right things and say the wrong things, because they want their products sold.

CORBINS

I know nothing of this person, and I'm not sure if everything she is saying is accurate. But I can agree with her about the moisturizers though. For the past 2 weeks, I've stopped using them on my hair because I've been frustrated with the dryness that I've been experiencing. I've been using coconut oil and WGO faithfully and I can say that my hair is much softer. The only thing extra that I've been using is Elasta QP Mango Butter to smooth my hair down around the edges. I've noticed that I don't have to apply anything throughout the day like I had to with moisturizers.

Jaelin

Disagree with most of what she said.

No grease on the scalp is good advice but the no moisturiser and setting the oil in with blow dryers just isn't advice I would recommend to most people. There will be some that it will work for maybe but for most of us a disaster waiting to happen.

MizAvalon

It's a shame how many women will mess up their heads listening to this nonsense. I'm so glad places like this board are around. So many women are being preyed on.

candycane

This woman and her system have been mentioned before on this board a loooooonnnnnngggg time ago (think 1+ year). Not sure if the threads will come up if you do a search though. I think some ladies had tried it, while others were completely against her thoughts and her products.

candycane

Kitkat

kizzylonghair said:

Are protein treatments good for my hair?
I only recommend placenta for people coming out of weaves and wigs. The hair is lifeless and fragile. Don't use the syrupy protein treatments, which make the hair hard and dry. Manufacturers know that the chemicals have damaged the hair and want you to buy something that will only exacerbate the problem. The D. Low system will treat the damaged hair and bring it back to life. There are no miracles in a bottle, only maintenance can yield healthy hair.
Wow. Just wow. Where do I even begin?:confused:

No moisturizer?? NO PROTEIN??? I have never heard worse advice for most black women, especially those of us in the 4 categories. If I didn't use moisturizer and shunned protein . . . well, I wouldn't have a single hair on my head.

And I didn't know that "most women with chemically relaxed hair are plagued with dandruff." I have never had a problem with dandruff and I don't recall any posts here complaining about this as a syndrome of relaxed hair.

Ms. Low's obvious goal is to give bad advice that will completely ruin our hair so that she can maintain a market for her crap. Avoiding moisturizers and protein AND THEN using heat? That's just ludacris. Even if her products were any good, I'd never use them just on the basis of her "advice." I'm saddened to think of all the unenlightened women who will take her suggestions and will be left to wonder why their hair isn't growing. :mad:

Daughter

UK Blak
>>Please don't use conditioners that are moisturizing in the hair.

What on earth is she on about?

>>It can take up to 5 years to completely grow a relaxer out of the hair system.

Eh??

jainygirl

O-- kay ... that was alot of shoveling...i mean reading to get through. Is she fa real?? Although relaxers have been known to dry the scalp out every relaxed person doesnt have dandruff. Dandruff and dry scalp are two different things.

She was partway right about the relaxer needing to grow out of your scalp over time. Yes, it does take a relaxer a while to completely get out of your system -- hence the scab hair that many experience when they transition from relaxed back to natural hair. BUT shes telling people to use her system over five years and that her system will be the reason their hair will get softer :huh:. Just the act of the relaxer gradually getting out of your scalp over time will do that.

So after all that the only thing she said of any use is not to apply oil directly to the scalp :look:. The sad thing is that people are gonna buy this product. -- jainygirl

Last edited:

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
It sounds like a great system for someone who wants to maintain a short, dried up press and curl style. :look:

Ayeshia

jainygirl said:
O-- kay ... that was alot of shoveling...i mean reading to get through. Is she fa real?? Although relaxers have been known to dry the scalp out every relaxed person doesnt have dandruff. Dandruff and dry scalp are two different things.

She was partway right about the relaxer needing to grow out of your scalp over time. Yes, it does take a relaxer a while to completely get out of your system -- hence the scab hair that many experience when they transition from relaxed back to natural hair. BUT shes telling people to use her system over five years and that her system will be the reason their hair will get softer :huh:. Just the act of the relaxer gradually getting out of your scalp over time will do that.

So after all that the only thing she said of any use is not to apply oil directly to the scalp :look:. The sad thing is that people are gonna buy this product. -- jainygirl

lol yeah like its a natural detox system for your hair...puh-leese :lol:

dreemssold

Do I need a deep treatment with heat?
Absolutely not! Only use a deep treatment, if it has been prescribed by a dermatologist. Nothing can repair hair better then a pair of scissors.

I couldn't read another word thereafter.

ms_kenesha

Crazy *** lady! I cannot believe she would say that stuff. I use barely no oil since I've been relaxed this second time and used only moisturizing shampoos and conditioners and moisturizers & my hair has taken off! She is such a RIP-OFF spread the word, I don't want anyone taking this dumb *** advice!

Kitkat

Sassygirl, I almost ruined my keyboard over that post - and that picture!!:lachen: Whoo boy!!:lachen:I can't even look at that picture without crying - literally! :lol: It's a good thing I have an office to myself.

Girl, someone just came by my office to see if I'm okay. You're gonna get me fired!!:lachen:

Last edited:

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
OOOOOOH Sassy you are SO wrong for that. I hope you are going to be willing to support me in the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed 'cause you gon' get me fired too!!

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
sassygirl125 said:
It sounds like a great system for someone who wants to maintain a short, dried up press and curl style. :look:

That is K-CI from Jodeci and I used to love him pre short, dried up press and curl style ..LOL! :sekret:

anywho... the more I read this story all I could day was "is this for real"? :(

SVT

This is very disturbing.

sassygirl125 said:

bellydancer

personally i don't agree with anything that she is saying, but my mommy always told me "don't knock it until you try it."

Tru_Mind

I believe the part about, because AA hair is tightly coiled the natural oils can not reach the hair strand which is why our natural oils cannot reach the ends. Therefore, we must replace the oils by placing oils on the hair strand.

I also believe everything that she said about grease, which I hated, because it did make my hair dirty, etc.

"The hair will continue to grow the relaxer out for up to 5 years."
I HOPE NOT!!! IS SHE SERIOUS?!?!

I have already notice a major difference in my hair and it didn't take 5 years. Why would she say 5 years?

lovelymissyoli

WOW…this lady is out of her mind… Here are some of the things I liked:

“The direct heat from the blow dryer, curling, and pressing iron sets the oil in.”--- :confused:

“Moisturizers are the last things that black hair needs.” ---Are you kidding me?? I would love to see this lady’s hair!!

“Only use a deep treatment, if it has been prescribed by a dermatologist.” ---- :confused:
“My system uses heat for healthy hair.”--- Sure…show me someone’s hair who is healthy from using constant heat…!!??!!

“If you are transitioning from a relaxer, there is no need to cut all of your hair off. The hair will continue to grow the relaxer out for up to 5 years.” --- Who would want to wait 5 years to grow out their natural hair just to continue to have relaxed ends??!!?? :confused:

Tru_Mind

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe that I will have relaxer in my system for up to 5 years. Somebody do some research! After reading this I really believe the 3 month scab hair thing, because I've actually exprienced it and still expriencing some scab hair, but not nearly as much as I had before!