Would you go to a white stylist?

lexiwiththecurls

I understand where she is coming from, but at a high end salon I think the stylist are very skilled no matter what race they are. I personally don't discriminate...I just think it depends on the person's experience and their skill.

So, would you refuse to let an expert stylist with great reviews, do your hair just because they are white?

For color? Yes I would definitely let a white person do it...for styling, maybe. I just had a bad experience at a black salon in Atlanta where a white girl was there and had a special. To make a long story short, she burned my hair!! The other stylists suggested she use marcels on my hair (havent had a marcel on my hair since maybe 05 the last time my hair was burned) . She probably had never used a marcel in her life and was trying to go based on the black stylists suggestion. I have a small section of my hair that no longer curls/coils up :-( Really sucks...
BUt i have had my hair straightened by a couple of white people---it just took them a LONG time lol but it came out fine. The time really came with detangling and just figuring out my thick natural hair. I usually only go to white salons to get color- maybe 3 times straightening after a cut.

An "expert stylist" may not know how to deal with AA hair. If a stylist goes to Paul Mitchell or Aveda for beauty school..black hair may only be one day worth of teaching if even that. Being a master stylist doesn't mean they know how to do all hair types---that really having to do with styling

For your sister going for color--then in that case it would be absolutely fine. Its better than going to a hood salon and you tell them you want your hair blonde but your hair is damaged and they do it anyway. I think Master Colorists are the best and most of the time, the people highly "ranked" for color are going to be white. I've actually never been to a black stylist for color...

bjgsmith

I went to a white stylist for the first time last year, and she did an awesome job cutting my hair. She explained the whole process, showed me where my hair was overprocessed and how much I should cut off and then asked me how much i wanted to cut or trim. she educated me on the different ways to take care of my hair and i was in and out in 1 1/2 hours. She started on my and finished me (consultation, shampoo, cut, blowdry and style)...the only think that was a bit off to me is when I went to check out the white male owner of the salon tried to get her to charge me extra since she had to flat iron my hair and she told him that a flat iron on my type hair is equal to a white person getting a roundbrush blowout. He look confused. I loved how my hair wasn't heavy and very flowy. I would recommend tiffany to anyone. However, she did tell me that just because a white stylist have many years of experience doing hair doesn't mean that they know how to do AA hair....just watch the show SPLIT ENDS...that shows it all.

GeauXavi

I DO go to a white stylist for my trims. She gets my hair pin straight even at 12+ weeks post, and gives me the best trims and cuts I have ever had. I have tried to go elsewhere, in effort to save money...and no other stylist white OR black can match her skills. She knows how to give you exactly what you want, be it a trim or cut or color. LOVE her!

JinaRicci

Yes I would & I have. Most of my stylists at home were type 2s anyway. When I was relaxed, I interviewed stylists- black or white- in the same way.

I would love to have someone who could really do natural hair- no matter their color.

brucebettye

I have no problem going to any stylist of any race that knows what they are doing. I have already been to many black stylists that did not have a clue on what to do with my hair.:ohwell:

BellaM

I dont know why but usually white stylist are more expensive....My friend went to a white hair stylist to get her hair cut..she just wanted to cut it shorter, blunt and a blow out....The lady charged her 70 dollars!!

fattyfatfat

Im going to a white stylist later in the month. I'll be going to the Aveda salon, however she said she will use a Mizani relaxer on my hair.

Britt

But to keep it fully real, if you have type 4 hair it is the most unique hair type and you have to know what you're doing or risk a significant setback. So I don't fault your cousin for being wary, most likely it's not a hair type they're accustomed to working with.

Exactly... My first answer to this question was : HELL NO.
The only way I'd feel fully comfortable w/ a stylist of another ethnicity is if they have plenty of experience w/ dealing w/ Black hair types. This isn't so much a 'oh the stylist is white, hell no' it's a level of familiarity and experience w/ my hair type that's the issue here.

Nali1987

Got my hair colored/ deep conditioned and cut by a white stylist. My hair never looked better. Now for a chemical treatment, I'd be sitting in her chair trembling and with two rosaries in my pockets. I'd be more relaxed, no pun intended, getting it done by a black stylist. Come to think of it, black stylists are responsible for my current damaged hair so I'm staying away from ALL Stylists.

belldandy

No. Never. I'm too scared. I don't even go to black stylists anymore.
But, its nice to see that other ladies with afro-textured hair do and see good results :)