HAS FEAR EVER KEPT YOU FROM CERTAIN HAIR PRACTICES?

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Weaves have to be number one for me. I've heard such horror stories but I'm getting really tempted to weave it up for winter this year. I'm not to sure though.

Seraphina

I've stayed away from my flat iron for about a year because of heat damage. Parts of my hair would not revert and I ended up having to cut. I've been to scared to try again. I don't pull my hair back tightly because of the tension. I have a high forehead already so I'm not trying to mess with my hairline. No more WnGs. Too many knots. And no weaves because I have such fine hair.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Yep!
I'd love to protectively style with braids and weaves, but I'm too damn chicken.
With weaves, I'm too scared of having the braids put in too tight, ripping out of my scalp, getting infected, and eventually killing me. Add in people talking about nits in the kind of weave hair that I'd use being commonplace, and....yeah. Not me.

And with braids, I'm scared that the braiders will ignore what I say and
A. Won't braid past my real hair.
B. Tie the knot on my real hair.
You can't watch braiders as closely as you can watch beauticians, so it's not the kind of thing that I can control.
I've thought of tree braiding, but I can't find anyone here that I can trust to do it right. As scared as I am about losing my hair, I can't lie....losing my money and time is just as scary. I just won't be able to take it if I get home and I find that my hair is a hot mess.

Oh yeah, and no dye or rinses, or anything like that. I relax my hair already and am too scared to double process.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
As a natural I was afraid of using heat on my hair.

But since I consider so-called heat training a huge step up from single strand knots, if I go back that road it will be with heat appliances in hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think alot of naturals are scared of shampoo since the "conventional wisdom" is that co-washing is just what you do when the relaxed ends come off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a relaxed head, I am afraid of non henna color.

Uber

I'm scared of having a leave out on a weave only because I'll have to straighten so much :( Oh how I wish I could do this sort of weave rather than a full weave.

LushLox

I'm scared of braids and weaves. I just seem to have this innate sense that it would just not work for me and I'll end up having a setback.

Mz.MoMo5235

i'm concerned about heat. i actually did heat damaged my self and i'm still growing out some straight pieces :( i do heat every now and then and i'm much more careful now than i was. but every time i straighten, i get a tummy ache right before i wash out of fear that my hair wont revert lmao so if i straightened more often i'd probably get an ulcer lmfao :lol:

Janet'

BKT. I've bought one application but I cannot bring myself to use it...I color all day and I'm not opposed to heat, either...Different strokes for different folks!

I've been too afraid to trim, at the fear of risking losing all my length. But my hair hasn't been retaining all that much these past 2 years anyway :nono:, so I think I may as well start some regular trimming and/or dusting now :yep:

Whimsy

Hell Yes!!!

I will not BKT - the whole idea of it seems unsafe

I will not Henna - I am scared of my curl loosening. I have damaged parts in the front, they would be completely bone straight if they loosened any further :(

I'm also scared of curlformers - don't laugh - they look like they'll create tangles lol. don't ask me why, they just do!

southerncitygirl

I've been too afraid to trim, at the fear of risking losing all my length. But my hair hasn't been retaining all that much these past 2 years anyway :nono:, so I think I may as well start some regular trimming and/or dusting now :yep:

i can't go any longer than 6months without a dusting, i was slightly below bsl with raggedy ends and had to cut back to apl....lesson learned. my stylist respects growth and is not scissor happy. your retention issue maybe the lack of dusting. my hair gets tangly when its time to dust.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I saw a trick for flat ironing that might help everyones fears. If you take a piece of white printer paper and press it between the flat iron and it turns yellow your iron is too hot. Turn it down until the paper stays white. I think it was on the view or rachel ray or something