Has The Constant Use Of Fake Hair Impacted Our Hair Growth And Hair Health.

has wearing fake hair long term halted our hair progress

• No it made it better

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Yes it has caused some damage

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • It depends

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

levette

i look at pictures of my mom and grandma and older relatives who wore natural hair that was pressed with a straightening comb and they had thick hair with edges with some length. In terms of our current generation do you think relying on fake hair as protective style has impacted our hair growth and caused thinning hair and edges.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I switched from lace fronts to half wigs because my edges were thinning in that wig cap shaped circle around the perimeter of my head. I also thinned out in the areas the wig combs were secured. After going through a wig free, awkward fuzzy, non-laid, edges period for the last 6 months, my edges are almost fully back. I'm natural and my hair is between apl & bsl stretched but the problem is that a protective style that retains length but leaves a receding forehead ain't it.

The old man has told me that if I cut my hair off and do a twa then he's shaving his beard and that also ain't it. I'm styling challenged which is why I was open to wigs but I'ma have to bite the bullet and either find a good braider or somebody out there that still does weave. I only do kinky hair wigs so blending isn't an issue. Wearing my natural hair lose means single strand knots which fuels my desire to just chop it all off.

Kalia1

I think it depends...Many women are managing to wear fake hair as well as keep their natural hair in a good state.

However I believe that some are neglecting their real hair because they have a false sense of beauty by wearing the fake hair.

It saddens me to see very young girls wearing wigs because I believe they should be experimenting and learning as much as they can about their real hair.

NaturalEnigma

You know I’ve never really thought about it like that, but I do think it’s true. Wearing fake hair either through weaves, wigs, braids or crochet causes a lot of stress on the hair. For some people they can wear fake hair and have their real hair thrive but I feel like for a lot of people it can be damaging. It’s funny that you say that black women’s hair was healthier before wigs and weaves were popular becuase back then they only had pink lotion and hair grease. If they had the kind of natural hair products that we have at our disposal their hair would be even healthier and longer.

Whenever I experience a setback 9 times out of 10 it’s becuase of some fake hair that I used that caused the damage. My hair flourished the most when I just strictly dealt with my natural hair.

Gin&Tonic

If the women that I know removed their fake hair and pressed their hair out to replicate the old styles mentioned in the OP, their hair would be healthy and look just as long and healthy.

lalla

I don't know. I feel like BW all over the world are much better educated about hair care than 20 years ago (I joined LHCF in 2003). IME, wigs have not proven damaging. Manipulation is the one thing that can destroy my hair.

dicapr

I don't know. I feel like BW all over the world are much better educated about hair care than 20 years ago (I joined LHCF in 2003). IME, wigs have not proven damaging. Manipulation is the one thing that can destroy my hair.

I think that fake hair has given women a false sense of what their hair can and should look like. So when they do opt to wear their real hair, they over manipulate and use excess heat to get it to look like the fake hair they have grown accustom to. This in turn leads to damage so they go back to fake hair.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
For me personally, yes. For Black women in general, maybe.

Recently I stopped wearing wigs because my front hairline exits the building every time I try to wear them for an extended time. Then there's months of rebuilding and regrowing. I decided to put a stop to the madness and ditch them all together.

For other black women, I'd say it depends. There's probably an equal mix of relaxed and naturals who wear weaves and wigs nonstop and have damaged hair. Those who have healthy hair usually don't wear fake hair nonstop and when they take a break, their hair is managed by a stylist.