Have you ever heard of Soulforce?

Southernbella.

http://www.soulforce.org/index.php

Their vision is:

"The purpose of Soulforce is freedom for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance."

Bishop TD Jakes, Joel Osteen, and Eddie Long have met with them recently.

Bishop Long Meets with LGBT Families: A Story of Family Reconciliation

(Atlanta, GA) -- Bishop Eddie Long, pastor of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Georgia, attended a Sunday meeting with lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) families. The meeting, which also included New Birth elders and staff, was part of a nationwide fellowship project called The American Family Outing, which aims to create dialogue between LGBT families and families at six American mega-churches between Mother's Day and Father's Day 2008.

At least one family was literally reconciled through the meeting. Rev. Troy Sanders, an openly gay minister from Atlanta, was surprised to find his estranged godmother, a member of New Birth, in the meeting. The two shared a public and emotional reunion.

"Before, she didn't know how to talk about me being an openly gay man," said Sanders, "and I interpreted that as rejection."

"Yesterday she was clear that, while she doesn't agree with everything theologically, her love for me is not negated as a result of that. For both of us, there is a desire to remain connected," said Sanders.

For Sanders, who has participated in three of the American Family Outing visits, this one had a special character: "The element of family and connectedness seemed to come across very clearly. Whether or not we see eye-to-eye, that connection is not destroyed."

According to several participants in the meeting, Bishop Long made a special effort to be present, in spite of having just returned from Dubai.
In previous weeks, AFO families have visited Lakewood Church in Houston, The Potter's House in Dallas, and Hope Christian Church in Beltsville, MD. In these visits, American Family Outing participants and church congregants have engaged in thoughtful and inspiring dialogue and fellowship.

Next week, LGBT families will visit Willow Creek Community Church in Illinois. The American Family Outing concludes at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, on Father's Day.

The American Family Outing is a collaboration between Soulforce, COLAGE, National Black Justice Coalition, and the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches.

American Family Outing Begins Dialog with Lakewood

Research shows the impact when Houstonians know gays and lesbians

(Houston, TX) -- On Mother's Day, Jay Bakker, son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, brought a group of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) families to worship at Lakewood Church -- the largest mega-church in the U.S. After the service, Bakker met privately with Lakewood's pastor, Joel Osteen, to talk about faith, family, and LGBT people.

The visit is part of a nationwide fellowship effort called The American Family Outing, which aims to create dialogue between LGBT families and families at six American mega-churches. Several prominent mega-churches, including Willow Creek Community Church in Illinois, and Hope Christian Church in Maryland, have agreed to meet lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender families.

Earlier in the week, Lakewood officials had expressed an unwillingness to meet with Bakker and The American Family Outing. A tip from a Lakewood Church member led Bakker to seek out Osteen after the Saturday evening service, during the time when the pastor greets new visitors to Lakewood. The two exchanged remembrances of Bakker's late mother, Tammy Faye Bakker Messner, and arranged to meet privately the next day.

Bakker's conversation with Osteen came just a day after The American Family Outing hosted a picnic in a Houston park for families from Lakewood Church. A handful of Lakewood members attended the picnic and expressed their appreciation for the effort to start an open conversation about the status of LGBT people at Lakewood.

Opportunities to connect one-on-one and family-to-family are the goal of the American Family Outing, which was created in the belief that it is possible for families to have meaningful conversations in spite of perceived differences.

In Houston, Rice University Professor Stephen L. Klineberg's data can confirm the impact of simply getting to know someone who is gay or lesbian:

"One of the most powerful predictors of area residents' attitudes toward gay rights, as powerful among religious fundamentalists as it is for the more secular respondents, is the simple question, 'Do you have a personal friend who is gay or lesbian?'

"It seems clear that the opportunity to get to know someone who is homosexual helps to break through the stereotypes and fears, and to reinforce the sense of common humanity," says Klineberg, who is a Professor of Sociology and the founding-director of the Houston Area Survey (1982-2008), which has tracked Houston's demographics and public attitudes for the past 27 years.

"Support for gay rights (e.g., allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military, or to teach in the public schools, or to be legally permitted to adopt children) has continued to increase steadily and consistently among Harris County residents over the past two decades," Klineberg continued.
The American Family Outing is a collaboration between Soulforce, COLAGE, National Black Justice Coalition, and the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches.

I think it's a good thing, bringing families together, but my mom, who emailed this to me, thinks it's the start of a downward spiral. I'm curious as to what you ladies think about this.

Duchesse

I think it's a good idea too, but understand your mom's skepticism.

My earliest memories of going to Sunday school/church were with my "Aunt T". Aunt T lived right next to a church, always wore her red press on nails, I remember her gaudy fur coat, and short bobbed wigs. I also remember when we were told to call "Aunt T", "Uncle L".

Okay, so Aunt T was a cross dresser who everyone knew was born a male, but was accepted by family and his church (but later stopped dressing as a woman because he accepted that it was a wrong thing to do). My Uncle L is still an obviously gay man though he says he's "not practicing", with the lisp, the "ooh chiles and honeys", and still has a flamboyant sense of style. My family never rejected him, in fact he cracks me up with the things that he says, and he is still active in his church.

I think it is so sad how so many people are rejected by their families and stop believing in God because of their sexual orientation, and it confuses me why one sin is so supremely touted as the biggest sin ever, but thats a different discussion.

There should be more movements like this, instead of flinging people to the wayside without trying to understand why they do things they do, calling folks abominations and what not...what kind of healing is supposed to take place?

Southernbella.

I agree with you about the healings.

I was actually very surprised by this. I don't have a lot of good things to say about megapreachers, but I think this is one time I have to give kudos, if their motive truly is bringing families together and trying to fellowship and disciple.:yep:

HeChangedMyName

Hmmmmm. I agree with your mom. I am all for healing the family unit. But as Christians, we can't go around accept sin as if it is not sin. Next what---meetings with fornicaters, adulterers, and false prophets and teachers. I agree that as Christians we should love one another regardless, but we can't continue to overlook sin in an attempt to be politically correct.----Remember Sodom and Gammorah. . . .:rolleyes:

Southernbella.

Hmmmmm. I agree with your mom. I am all for healing the family unit. But as Christians, we can't go around accept sin as if it is not sin. Next what---meetings with fornicaters, adulterers, and false prophets and teachers. I agree that as Christians we should love one another regardless, but we can't continue to overlook sin in an attempt to be politically correct.----Remember Sodom and Gammorah. . . .:rolleyes:

I hear what you're saying. I guess I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I was thinking it was about reaching out and discipling.

HeChangedMyName

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the fact that people's families are being put back together again. It has been a trick of the devil for eons to attack the family unit in any way that he can, this is just a slap in the face for him to see that regardless of the sin that he is enticing people with, they are still loved and welcomed by their families.

kayte

When I was a little girl very occasionally ..a crossdresser would cross our paths... very flamboyant,loud,etc ... I found them frightening.

At 12 years old... I told my father who was a man of few words & very cerebral....who seemed like a mountain to me he was so tall and handsome..I told him in my 12 year old know-it-all-voice.....

Homosexuals aren't human

and my father said quietly...
"Oh YES they ARE. They are as human as you..and..me"
and with that he walked away...

I knew,somehow I'd disappointed him with my so-called philosophy.It took a while for me to understand that accepting a homosexual as an imperfect child of God as I am an imperfect child of God.. and loving them does not mean accepting or adapting their their lifestlye, but I do not condemn them...that would be between them and God

Jesus routinely sought out ,welcomed, sat,dined,blessed,befriended, loved,& healed those that the religious community named... "scourge of society" ....
he healed and loved the "outcasts,the shunned,and forbidden in HIS days..... He even said to the elders ...the Joel Osteens or deacons of His day..

"Verily verily..the prostitutes and tax collectors go into heaven before you" Mathhew 21:31

He even told a thief... You shall be with me in Paradise on HIS cross as Jesus was dying for us..and
for the "thems" among us

HE's the the model for me .....

So no... I have never heard of this organzation but I support anythng that denouunces and prevents oppression..and instead propogates caring and unconditional love...

To me.... those are the true Christian values that I struggle with but still believe. I applaud those ministers...for leading by example..they have guts and my admiration

"My friends, if anyone is detected in a transgression, you who have received the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness. Take care that you yourselves are not tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."

Last edited:

taytay86

My best friend told me he was gay a few years ago. But I still love him. I strongly dislike and disapprove of his lifestyle, but it's not up to me or anyone else to cast stones. I do not believe God creates gays. The true answer to this we may never know. All we can do for them is love their character and their heart and continually pray them up. I think it's a good idea, but I don't believe the point of the meeting to get the families from the mega churches to accept their behaviour, but to learn to love them unconditionally.