Have you ever or wanted to ever shave off your nape/kitchen?

melissa-bee

My one is uneven,and really fine in a small patch and I am transistioning anyways so i thought i might just shave it off so i can kind of moniter my growth. I would only need to shave about 1 and a half cm going up, but i'm scared for some reason.

Have you ever shaved off your nape and why? and did you regret it?

Meli-Melo

A hairstylist shaved my nape a few years ago because I had too much breakage. I was very mad at first but it did grow back healthier. She used clippers but didn't shave it completely off, just really short.

Zsugar

Mine was shaved for a drug test for a job I wanted.
I thought she was going to snip a little. That witch cut at
least a full inch up. It was okay after about 8 months- I kept a wig on.

Solitude

No. I've never had any nape problems.

Women I know who have short (Halle Berry) hair do's often do this, though. They don't shave the nape of completely, unless the short hair style calls for it. My sis trimmed her nape when we were growing up so her hair would look neat in ponytails. lol

almondjoi85

Seriously considered it, I know a few girls who do it because it makes that area look a little better if you are especially hairy and the nape travels down your neck a little to far. Mine doesn't so I skipped it.

a_shoe_6307

I did it several times when I had braids & it was fine. I also shaved my nape all of last year when I was rocking a very short Halle Berry haircut. My SO used the clippers to do it.

brucebettye

I did it before to keep a short hair style looking nice. My hair would grow so fast I had to cut shape it every two weeks and I used scissors to avoid razor bumps.

Shoediva

I have done it lots of time. I'm one of those scissor happy folks who loves short hair, the shorter the better. shaved nape area, No problem. Once you cut it or shave it, it will grow back a lot faster.

happylife

yes i have wanted to. i ironically thought about it earlier tonight before seeing this thread.

not going to do it.....trying to break down my habit of trying to perfect my hair and just accept it as is. that same urge that makes me want me to do something about my nape makes me want to flat iron my hair more than once a day just because it doesn't look good 1/2 way through the day, or put dye in my hair to cover one grey hair...etc

Last edited:

happylife

Mine was shaved for a drug test for a job I wanted.
I thought she was going to snip a little. That witch cut at
least a full inch up. It was okay after about 8 months- I kept a wig on.

wow! i hope you got he job! if that happened to me i would have been tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicked!

Thann

I did it back in January or February. In the end I was happy with my results. I wasn't having breakage problems, but felt like my hair might have been overprocessed in those areas.

I cut about one inch up my nape and about half an inch on my side edges in the front. It look funny to me at first because I had cut it literally to the point of hair not being visable...I could still rub it and feel the hair though.Lookswise, the back actually looked better when I had my hair up, but the front took a little getting use to as it grew back. I cut the back hair line a little far up, but I would say that it looked like a normal hairline after the cut and as it grew back as well. I wouldnt say my hair grew in better or anything, but it being healthier made it more managable, which is what I was going for.

Last edited:

Ese88

I havent but a friend of mine did in secondary school because it had broken off really badly. It grew back really quickly and she kept her hair in braids during that time so you couldnt see the back unless she showed you anyway.

afrocentric_soul

I did when I got my hair cut for the first time. The stylist used clippers. I hated it. (See 1st pic in siggy) But I will say that my hair has grown back beautifully in the nape area.

Soliel185

I got into the cycle after a woman shaped me up the first time I got my hair braided in HS. After that it would look wonky if I let it grow out so I just kept doing it with clippers (by TOUCH no less) for yeeeears. When I decided to transition I let it grow out, but b/c it was coming from shaved it was taking a loooooong time to catch up. I went to Louisiana for the first time with my boo (his homestate) and he kept nit picking on it to the point where I stopped at a shop in the mall and let a lady shape it. I regretted it, but I was weak. :ohwell:

After that I let it grow out and now it's long enough to blend into the rest of my hair. Until it got to that length I would flat twist and tuck it to keep it out of the way.

theAlist

Yes I shave my kitchen off all the time...I got bedebees. But my actual nape...naw I've never shaved off my hair in the back.

NaturalPath

This is ironic because I actually thought about doing this because the lower portion of my nape has alot of SSK's and split ends...the rest of my hair is fine though.

I considered shaving it and then once it grows back do Mooks cornrow method to try to keep it free from SSK's and splits(just the nape part)

babayred_86

I never did my whole nape just he edges of it so my ponytails wouldn't look to crazy. Lately I've just been letting it o whatever

R4L

I've shaved the bottom inch or so of hair before, part of a team bonding thing. Meh. It grew back. For a while I was getting it edged up at the bottom when I was maintaining a shorter look. It's just hair. It grows back

Bnster

No I want my hair to grow. My HS use to cut it, now he not allowed to come near me with his scissors for any reason.