Healthy thick Colombian hair, birth control pills and shampooing

Arewa Girl

A colleague of mine has just come back from visiting family in Colombia. And all she can talk about is how healthy, thick and luscious her cousins’ hair is.

Obviously diet has something to do with it – although she does not agree with me on that.

But she told me that most of her cousins grind diet pills into their shampoo and wash their hair weekly. – Which I am convinced has something to do with it.

She also says the some of them wash their hair with mineral water – which got me thinking about being consistent with my ACV rinses.

What we both seem to agree on is they don’t use as much chemicals in their hair and hardly manipulate it.

Has anyone heard anything about birth control pills and hair growth?

There was a thread last year I think where some one posted that birthcontrol pills were grinded into shampoos and/or dominican conditioners I remember thinking man I wish I had some birthcontrol pills haha

I'll have to skip on the birth control pill thing. It doesn't sound safe.

ITA...Things are absorbed into the skin which means even though diluted, it seems those hormones will be absorbed into your skin. I get enough unasked for hormones in all the foods products they are tainting.:nono:

I wouldn't even be able to experiment with this one since I have an IUD, but good luck, I have never heard of that before.

I heard that a lot of women in the Dominican Republic do this. I have no idea if it truly works or not.

I remember the other thread. It may work, but please don't go that far for beautiful hair. There are tons of safer ways to get it! :yep:

It must be the work of the hormones in the pill. I wouldn't mess with hormones if you don't need them. There are hair products on the market with hormones in them and they reportedly have bad side effects.

And a side note: I visited colombia in Nov and they jacked up my hair so bad. I had to trim 3 inches. Colombians, genetically have nice hair. It's bone straight and thick. almost like some asian hair. They bleach, color, blow dry and do all sorts of things to their hair and it still looks good in the end.

:grin: Sorry I meant birth control pills not diet pills :wallbash:

My sister had breakage back in the 80's and my mom would grind up birth control pills mix it with conditioner and apply it to her hair once a week. I think it has something to do with the hormones? I have no idea. I was only 15 at the time.

I know that my aunt would also tell my sister to put The Foam (birth control) on her scalp LOL :lachen: seems a bit silly now. My sis had a bad perm and it pretty much ate away her scalp for like 2 years. I know her hair eventually grew back, but it didn't grow long.

Last edited:
As far as birth control and hormones, isn't this similar to using placenta? I know there is a risk with using too much placenta on hair, but you might get the same results.

This is very interesting. I've recently started taking birth control again for contraceptive reasons, and initially my hair began to shed a lot, but this has now stopped. I had no idea the pill could be linked to hair in this way. :perplexed I will keep you posted!

YEA, iv'e heard of it. it used to be big back in the barrio (where i grew up) back in the 1980's. lot's of ppl used to do it. it's funny how things come right back around.

It must be the work of the hormones in the pill. I wouldn't mess with hormones if you don't need them. There are hair products on the market with hormones in them and they reportedly have bad side effects.

And a side note: I visited colombia in Nov and they jacked up my hair so bad. I had to trim 3 inches. Colombians, genetically have nice hair. It's bone straight and thick. almost like some asian hair. They bleach, color, blow dry and do all sorts of things to their hair and it still looks good in the end.

YUP i have been to Cali colombia about 3 times and they have straight thick hair...and the black colombians have 4b thick hair...i got my hair blowdried they have NO IDEA about rollers and dryers...but they did DC my hair with a heat cap..thank god

Back