Heat... maybe it's NOT damaging to hair??!!?

localhost

Same here, that's what I use.

I hear many people say that heat users would be better off rollersetting but show me how to do even a half way decent rollerset on my natural 4b roots and I will put away my flat iron:grin:

Also, the ladies who say heat is bad because they've experienced the damage were you using it responsibly? How often were you doing it? How high was the heat? Was it on dirty hair or what products did you use? Were you RELAXED? All those factors come in to play and I don't think anyone can point the finger at heat itself and turn a blind eye to their own misuse. I have misused heat plenty of times before LHCF and suffered major damage but to me it's not bad it was my fault. I have heavily tweeked my process and I feel ok using it on the regular now.

The only options I have for my hair is heat, relaxers:nono:, or a busted rollerset(perhaps if I were a 3b, 3c this would work out but the truth is I'm not even close). I don't like braids, twists, afros etc. so heat to me is a nice compromise because I'm doing it right this time.

Co-signing! Heat is not the devil if it's used properly. I've learned over the years on this site that no heat/no manipulation/stretching past 10-12 wks is a recipe for disaster for me. I can get some good results, but the tangling and matting is not worth it. I need to be able to part my hair even at 10 wks post with a 4z hair type and heat makes that possible. My hair is even healthier b/c of it :yep:

vestaluv1

I would love for this to be true because I feel my hair always looks better with direct heat applied.
However, I KNOW my hair cannot handle too much direct heat.
Everyones hair is different and reacts to direct heat in different ways... EVEN WITH PRECAUTIONS LIKE HEAT PROTECTANTS AND HEAT REGULATION.

I remember when I used to use the hot comb every day with no heat protectant, but a whole load a grease :nono:... my mother started doing it and I unfortunately carried on for myself :wallbash:.
Even with all the ABUSE, my hair was always passed SL...but it stayed there :look:, but back then I couldn't care less about the health and length of my hair.
Even though I know better now and will use heat regulated ionic appliances and heat protectants, etc, most of the time my hair still reacts the same way as when I abused my hair wit the hot comb.
TOO MUCH DIRECT HEAT IS NOT GOOD FOR MY HAIR.

Maybe when my hair is healthier, this will change :ohwell:.

Muse

I would love for this to be true because I feel my hair always looks better with direct heat applied.
However, I KNOW my hair cannot handle too much direct heat.
Everyones hair is different and reacts to direct heat in different ways... EVEN WITH PRECAUTIONS LIKE HEAT PROTECTANTS AND HEAT REGULATION.

I remember when I used to use the hot comb every day with no heat protectant, but a whole load a grease :nono:... my mother started doing it and I unfortunately carried on for myself :wallbash:.
Even with all the ABUSE, my hair was always passed SL...but it stayed there :look:, but back then I couldn't care less about the health and length of my hair.
Even though I know better now and will use heat regulated ionic appliances and heat protectants, etc, most of the time my hair still reacts the same way as when I abused my hair wit the hot comb.
TOO MUCH DIRECT HEAT IS NOT GOOD FOR MY HAIR.

Maybe when my hair is healthier, this will change :ohwell:.

But you have to be extremely careful when using regular heat on relaxed hair because the hair's strength is already compromised. Personally I could not keep getting relaxers and use heat every week. I have to be natural and use heat or relaxed and not. I choose natural with heat. Now women who can relax AND use heat that's some strength. I'd like that kinda hair!:yep: