Pre or Post Wash Oil Treatments

NayNay

I have heard from various people on this board that they put hot oil treatments on dry hair. I would think that wouldn't be beneficial since the cuticle is closed. Unless heat or water is added how could the oil penetrate? I have also heard that an oil treatment on wet hair is not beneficial because your hair soaks up the water and not the oil. I tend to disagree because if that was the case then how would conditioners penetrate? I perform hot oil treatments on damp hair under a heating cap. Between the water and the heat the cuticle is open and thus achieving optimal penetration...correct?
I think Andre does't like oil treaments but recommended it on wet hair.
Any thoughts on it?

pebbles

Hey NayNay,/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm not sure about the pre wash benefits as opposed to the post wash benefits of an oil treatment. However, I find it's easier for me to do it once my hair is wet, because on dry hair, I find the oil hard to apply. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Robin41

I apply hot oil to dry hair prior to shampooing and cover it with a plastic cap. Then I either do a 30-minute workout or sit under a warm drying for 30 minutes. The heat from the oil and my body heat or dryer helps it to penetrate.

If I apply it to wet hair, it just sits there and does nothing.

Integrity

i just dont have the time for separate hot oil treatments.normal wash nites are long enuff as it is. i have jojoba oil which is really absorbed by my hair so some times before i go to bed i will apply some to my hair and ends, wrap with a silk scarf and go to bed. once in a while i just add more oil to my deep conditioners and that is it!

NAY007

i agree with robin,

i do my hot oil treatments before i wash my hair and i take a bowl and fill it with olive oil then put it in the micro. then i just bend over the tub and let my hair hang and put it in the bowl. i think it does penetrate dry hair due to heat from the oil. i like to saturate my hair with the oil. if i wet it first i wouldn't have the feeling of giving my hair a hot oil treatment anymore. i don't know. i guess i just like it this way. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

auntybe

Ladies, giving your self a treatment on dry hair makes a lot of sense to me I just have never tried it this way. I'll give it try now that I understand.

Robin41

For me personally, I used to have a problem with a dry, itchy, dreadfully flaky scalp from wearing braids off and on for years. I started doing my hot oil treatments in August and I have not seen one flake since.

I don't know that it's helping my hair as much as my scalp. It's completely moisturized and healthier than it's ever been and I believe it's because of the hot oil treatments.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Zgirl,
For me, the treatments keep my color-treated, relaxed hair pliable. How do I know this? Because, after the temperatures plunged south of freezing, I got a little lazy and stopped doing them....and in that short amount of time, a few of my highlights SNAPPED off /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:, lol. So back to the oil treatments in a hurry. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif It seems to keep my hair from being stripped - my hair still feels moist after shampooing. And I agree with the poster who said the treatments also help with dry, itchy scalp.
HTH,
Nyambura

ms_kenesha

NayNay,

I've done hot oil treatments with damp hair as well as dry hair. When I use a heavier oil (like coconut) I do it on dry hair. When I used coconut on wet or damp hair it was hard to comb through. When I use olive oil or a liquid oil I do it on damp hair it seems to absorb better. The thicker oil seems to not need the water to absorb in my hair.

I only do hot oil treatments before I wash my hair and not after.
HTH

pebbles

Hi Ms Kenesha,

I use the little tube of tcb hot oil treatment and that's light. On dry hair, I had such a hard time, it seemed to go everywhere except stay on my hair. I'll try to use a heavier oil and see how that works.

Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

elliot

I do my hot oil treatment while my hair is dry. Initially, it was difficult but then I purchased on of those applicator bottles (like the WGO comes in). So now I put my oil in the applicator bottle, heat it up in the microwave and then part my hair and squirt a couple of drops all over and on my ends. I then massage my scalp and sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes.