Heat Protectants

daviine

Okay I was thinking about htis last night. How do you actually know your hair is being protected by the heat when you use heat protectants? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

daviine

londongirl3

I guess you can tell it's being protected because after you finish roller setting or drying, the hair does not feel brittle. When you don't use any, the hair will feel dryer.

I really don't know, just a guess /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

VALLEYGIRL

I guess we don't really KNOW for sure except by checking the ingredients. I have read on line (can't find it now)that Heat protectants work by forming heat absorbing polymers on the hair shaft that either deflect or absorb the heat from your styling tools. They also work by including protein as an ingredient b/c when you blow dry or style your hair you are chipping and wearing away the outer protein layer. So by adding a leave in with protein or a heat protectant to form a physical barrier when you use heat it will first wear away at the product as opposed to your hair.
Does that make sense?

Here is one thing I found:

Thermal Protectors

Thermal protectors safeguard the hair against heat. Using thermal protectors are one of the best things you can do to your hair if you blow dry, use curling irons, or hot rollers. They normally use heat absorbing polymers that distribute the heat, so your hair does not get heat damage (a major cause of hair damage

Is this what you were asking Daviine or you you really asking how you can tell on the hair itself?

Valleygirl

daviine

Thanks Valleygirl...

You basically answered my question and that makes a LOT of sense. I guess the rest is just having faith in the companies that what they're claiming really works and that they are really putting it in the products....

It was just a random thought that I was having as my vacation draws to a close tonight and won't have time to post as many random thoughts and questions.... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Jenai

Valleygirl,

Thanks for replying to this because was confused about this too. Not sure, but weren't you the one that had a list of different types of heat protectants? I wonder about this because virtually any hair product can claim to protect the hair - but do the various heat protectants work in varying degrees and are some superior? Thanks in advance.

VALLEYGIRL

Hi GiGi,
Yes any product can claim to protect the hair from heat so that is why I have to look at the ingredients on a product before I buy it. I did have a list but can't for the life of me find it right now. The ones I can remember are Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein protects hair from heat, PVP/VA which is found in a lot of gels is considered a heat absorbing polymer that I mentioned above. It is a film former on the hair shaft and a holding agent. When I had my little phone consultation with Mr John he said even Baby Detangler can be used as a leave in and heat protectant?

And as far as some being superior than others, I think some are definitely better than others but I am not too sure which ones. When I was doing my research looking for the heat protectant I can across this info online about Phytantriol (a main ingredient in Thermasilk products) being specifically made for heat protection:

Phytantriol - Unique protection against hot blow-drying
Environmental weathering is not the only damaging influence to which hair
is exposed. Hair goes through the stresses of grooming and hot blow-drying
every day. As many as 80% of females and 41% of males use a blow-dryer in
their daily regimen. The intense, focused heat of blow-drying is extremely
detrimental to the hair. Side effects include weakening of the hair
structure, resulting in a decrease in tensile strength and frequent breakage.
Phytantriol (PHY-TAN-TRIOL) is a high performance emollient and
conditioner used in hair care and skin care products. Recent research has
demonstrated the unique effectiveness of Phytantriol in protecting hair from
the damaging effects of intense heat exposure. One study found that hair
rinsed with a leave-in conditioner containing 0.1% Phytantriol and hot blow-
dried was not only protected from the heat, but also had improved in tensile
strength. Additional research demonstrated that the presence of 0.5%
Phytantriol in both a shampoo and conditioner acted as an effective heat
barrier, protecting the hair from the intense temperatures of the blow-dryer
and ultimately from structural modification of the hair.
Phytantriol, when used in combination with amino acids (the building
blocks of hair proteins) and Panthenol (a pro-vitamin B5 which is a powerful
hair moisturizer) increases their deposition to hair, enhancing the healthy
look of hair. Additional benefits to hair include prevention of split-ends,
moisture retention and protection against daily mechanical damage, such as
combing and brushing.

The New Image Damage Free from Sally's that I love so much has all of the above mentioned ingredients so that is why I was so intrested in trying it. And above all it really works!!! My hair has not been damaged with all the blow drying and flat ironing I have been doing to it (Knock on wood) But before that I used a heat protectant which the main ingredients were Lactic Acid, Panthenol and PVP and it apparently worked well. They discontinued it so I had to find something else.

I have seen sprays and creams labeled as 'Heat Protectants' or 'Thermal Protectants' but the ingredients are like setting lotion ingredients. I wish I knew a chemist who could tell me if it would work just as well or not.

But I feel as long as you prep your hair with something protein based before using heat and keep the heat on a medium setting you should be OK. B/c no heat protectant on the planet will protect you from a too hot styling tool.

HTH
Valleygirl
(sorry so long)

JenJen2721

I went to Sally's on my lunch and they still have the New Image Damage Free. I bought 3 of them for .99. I felt good about my PJism because I only spent $3! There was only 6 of them left though.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
JenJen2721 said:
I went to Sally's on my lunch and they still have the New Image Damage Free. I bought 3 of them for .99. I felt good about my PJism because I only spent $3! There was only 6 of them left though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Girl, since it's being discontinued, you may want to go back and purchase the other three bottles. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JenJen2721

I thought about that, but I decided against because for one, I haven't tried it yet, and two I would have to hide them from my boyfriend /images/graemlins/sekret.gif LOL!

If I really, really like it though, I'll just have to find a good hiding spot..hmmm....maybe I can keep some at work?.../images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I didn't know that was being discontinued! I bought 2 earlier this week and that was all they had. I like this product. I guess I'll be stopping by there later. Are they replacing it with another product or is it gone, gone, gone???

iris

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have read on line (can't find it now)that Heat protectants work by forming heat absorbing polymers on the hair shaft that either deflect or absorb the heat from your styling tools. They also work by including protein as an ingredient b/c when you blow dry or style your hair you are chipping and wearing away the outer protein layer. So by adding a leave in with protein or a heat protectant to form a physical barrier when you use heat it will first wear away at the product as opposed to your hair.
Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes a whole lot of sense /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks VALLEYGIRL for the info because this explains why using cuticle-sealing agents such as henna and other products helps hair retain length and protects it from damage when someone uses a flat-iron or curling iron. The protein as you said acts as a shield, thereby providing protection for the hair.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Bumping because I love this thread!

The following are products containing phytantriol -but: DISCLAIMER: I haven't used any of them and I don't know if they would or wouldn't be good substitutes for New Image Damage Free. Except where specifically noted, the other products were marketed as leave-ins:

Products
<ul type="square"> [*]Tresemme 4+4 Hair Splash Combo [*]John Frieda's Frizz Ease Relax Straight Forward [*] Pantene Progressive Treatment Crème Conditioner (I'm assuming this is a rinse-out) - couldn't find an internet vendor but if you're interested, here's the Proctor &amp; Gamble toll-free number: 800-543-7270 and for those of you who live in Cincinnati, OH: 513-983-1100[*] Prograine Conditioner [*]Phyto - PhytoLisse (Formerly Phytodefrisant Relax Serum) [*]KMS AMP Volume Styling Foam [*]KMS AMP Volume Reconstructor [*]Avon's Advance Techniques' Balancing B2 Complex [*]Jason Naturals Hi-Shine Mends Ends [*] Lamas Botanicals' Pure &amp; Natural Soy Balancing Conditioner (instructions allow for rinse-out or leave-in use) [*]Batia &amp; Aleeza Hair Care:Bio-Protein Conditioner [*] George Michael Detangler Spray George Michael Detangler Spray [*]Folicure Extra Conditioner [*]Beachbill Botanical Soothe and Smooth [*]Biomist Moisture Infusion by Baka Beautiful [*]Verifen Complex (aka "Wanakee") DETANGLING SPRAY CONDITIONER [*]Paul Labrecque's Silk Gloss [*]Makarizo's Hair Repair Masker [*]Nature's Gate Rainwater Sea Kelp &amp; Aloe Conditioner (heat activated, rinse-out); [*]Thermasilk 2-in-1 Moisturizing Shampoo Plus Conditioner, For Dry Or Damaged Hair (rinse-out) [/list]

kyla

Nyambura,
Thank for the information!

soslychic

I'd like to add another to the list

Thermasilk Light Leave-In Conditioning Mist

has amino acids, panthenol, and Phytantriol.

Water (aqua), Cetrimonium Chloride, Arginine, Phytantriol, Silk Protein, Silk Amino Acids, Propylene Glycol, Amodimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Dimethicone Copolyol, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Phosphate, Panthenol, Diazolidinyl Urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Phosphoric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Stearate, Polysorbate 60