Hello Ladies!!!Still not SL!!!

shetara20

Hello Ladies!!! I was stretching my relaxer to 9 weeks and I was getting sick of seeing my NG!!!I just self relaxed on tuesday and I am not satisifed with my length!!!! It seems that not matter how much I use protective styles it doesnt help me retain length. This month is my 1 year anniversary being on LHCF and I feel like I havent had that much progress like I should be. I have thouht about going natural over and over and I thought about transitioning to get there but im still not sure what to do. I was thinking after this relaxer I will just transition and kepe my hair conrowed for a while(so I wont have to manipulate it a lot)I am just sick of getting myself hyped up about having SL hair and it seems like it will never come!!!! :wallbash:What should I do??????

Galadriel

Only transition if you're ready for it. If so, go ahead with the idea of transitioning and getting cornrows. Having cornrows and sew-ins are what helped me when I was in that awkward stage between NL and SL. Also, I'm a firm believer that water intake, diet, and vitamins can really help as well.
What's your reggie?

shetara20

Only transition if you're ready for it. If so, go ahead with the idea of transitioning and getting cornrows. Having cornrows and sew-ins are what helped me when I was in that awkward stage between NL and SL. Also, I'm a firm believer that water intake, diet, and vitamins can really help as well.
What's your reggie?

My reggie is
*I wash and deep condition once a week. with the Pantene relaxed and Natural Line
*I co-wash once or twice a week
*Moisturize with Pantene oil moisturizer everyday

Any suggestions????

locabouthair

What's your reggie?

yeha poor diet can slow down your growth rate I think thats why I havent reached SL either. Just know your not alone.

Do you know how much you grow per month?

I looked at it like this, I get 1/4 inch a month, 3 inches a year. with trims and occasional breakage:ohwell: I'm not retaining anything at all.

Have you been having breakage? I say try to increase your growth by etaing right, exercising, lots of water, and try to retain it.

Did you have any setbacks?

shetara20

yeha poor diet can slow down your growth rate I think thats why I havent reached SL either. Just know your not alone.

Do you know how much you grow per month?

I looked at it like this, I get 1/4 inch a month, 3 inches a year. with trims and occasional breakage:ohwell: I'm not retaining anything at all.

Have you been having breakage? I say try to increase your growth by etaing right, exercising, lots of water, and try to retain it.

Did you have any setbacks?

I think i get about maybe 1/4 inch a month too. I do self trim when I know its needed. I have breakage a lot but im done crying over that. Ima just try harder and try to see some benefits.

locabouthair

I think i get about maybe 1/4 inch a month too. I do self trim when I know its needed. I have breakage a lot but im done crying over that. Ima just try harder and try to see some benefits.

Try to focus on getting it healthy and reducing the breakage and the growth will come. I can be your hair buddy if you like.:yep: I want SL badly too.

TexturedTresses

do you have any pics? i would love to see them. also, i've heard some pretty bad things about the relaxed and natural moisturizer. i read on one website where this said it broker off her hair... maybe you might want to try another one?

TexturedTresses

My reggie is
*I wash and deep condition once a week. with the Pantene relaxed and Natural Line

Any suggestions????

after you deep condition how do you style your hair? also, how does your hair feel? does it feel dry or too moisturized or anything like that.

spencd

I agree I would get rid of the Patene line. Try Nexxus Therapee and Humectress. Also do you clearify/chealeat once a month? Find a CVS to get Nexxus, if you don't like it, they will take it back. If a money issue is a concern, start off with only two of the products. I personally think less is more in terms of reggie, which it doesn't seem like you are doing too much. One last thing if you are not already doing it, go to a salon with your products and see if you get a different result. Perhaps it is your water. I had that problem. A lot of breakage although my hair looks healthy (go figure). I needed a relaxer. I was going to get Emergencee and the beautician said I don't need it. I'm praying that I don't have a water problem, b/c I want to go back to washing my own hair.

Evolving78

i don't think it has anything to do with your growth. you are having issues retention. you might be doing something too much that is causing breakage. maybe you shoud give the protective styles a break or not stretch touchups too long. maybe 6 to 8 weeks? you should just wash and wrap. tie your hair up at night and keep it going. if you do that, you won't need to cowash so much causing you to manipulate your hair more.

Galadriel

My reggie is

Any suggestions????

Moisturize with a creamy leave-in conditioner or something like ORS Olive Oil (in the jar) or Redken Butter Treat. Seal with Castor Oil. If you wear cornrows, spray in the morning and the evening with a liquid leave-in (or one of your own concoction).

Do you have any breakage?

ETA: Okay, I just read where you said you had breakage. Have you tried putting conditioner on dry hair, baggying your whole head overnight, then rinsing in the morning? This has helped me stop the breakage. Also, like the other poster said, the constant manipulation may also be a culprit.

Last edited:

Platinum

:bighug: Don't feel bad. I was hoping to have made SL as well.:ohwell: What kind of relaxer do you use? If you're using a harsh relaxer, maybe you should try something mild. My aunt used a Just For Me on my hair a few months ago and I love it. My hair is thick and very coarse and I'm impressed by the results. I'm going to stick to it.

Maybe you should try a moisturizing conditioner like Tresemme. Have you thought about trying some of the Ayuverdic products?

Last edited:
It dosnt seem like you are using protein at all and if you are relaxed maybe you should try adding a light protein to your reggie. You could try the ORS pack for a deep condition every other week and see if that helps

shetara20

do you have any pics? i would love to see them. also, i've heard some pretty bad things about the relaxed and natural moisturizer. i read on one website where this said it broker off her hair... maybe you might want to try another one?

I dont have a camera to take any pics yet... i havent heard anything bad about the moisturizer. Its hard to find products where i am because i am in school in a hicktown!!!! what moisturizer would u suggest???

shetara20

I agree I would get rid of the Patene line. Try Nexxus Therapee and Humectress. Also do you clearify/chealeat once a month? Find a CVS to get Nexxus, if you don't like it, they will take it back. If a money issue is a concern, start off with only two of the products. I personally think less is more in terms of reggie, which it doesn't seem like you are doing too much. One last thing if you are not already doing it, go to a salon with your products and see if you get a different result. Perhaps it is your water. I had that problem. A lot of breakage although my hair looks healthy (go figure). I needed a relaxer. I was going to get Emergencee and the beautician said I don't need it. I'm praying that I don't have a water problem, b/c I want to go back to washing my own hair.

I dont clarify.I probably cant buy what you suggested until i go home for break becuase i am in school (aka hicktown) where the biggest store here is walmart!LOL)

chicacanella

Hello Ladies!!! I was stretching my relaxer to 9 weeks and I was getting sick of seeing my NG!!!I just self relaxed on tuesday and I am not satisifed with my length!!!! It seems that not matter how much I use protective styles it doesnt help me retain length. This month is my 1 year anniversary being on LHCF and I feel like I havent had that much progress like I should be. I have thouht about going natural over and over and I thought about transitioning to get there but im still not sure what to do. I was thinking after this relaxer I will just transition and kepe my hair conrowed for a while(so I wont have to manipulate it a lot)I am just sick of getting myself hyped up about having SL hair and it seems like it will never come!!!! :wallbash:What should I do??????

The first thing that jumped out to me in your second post was, "pantene oil moisturizer." Does your hair feel like it is moisturized after using this because for most women, oils don't moisturizing. So, I mean I'm not knocking it but it could be one of your problems. I don't think you need to immediately think about transitioning until you find out what you are doing wrong with your current regimen.

Starting a C-G method with cornrows for a few months sounds like a good idea. All you do is sponge moisturize with African-Royale leave in conditioner and some Infusium 23 leave in mixed together every couple of days. Wash when you can and deep condition when you take the braids out of course combing through the hair to get the waves and tangles out.

That's all. This method helped me go from barely sl to BSL in two years and I only used the method for one year. Mind you, I've had two cuts and trims in this time span. Check it out at growafrohairlong.com and if you have any questions pm me.

shetara20

i don't think it has anything to do with your growth. you are having issues retention. you might be doing something too much that is causing breakage. maybe you shoud give the protective styles a break or not stretch touchups too long. maybe 6 to 8 weeks? you should just wash and wrap. tie your hair up at night and keep it going. if you do that, you won't need to cowash so much causing you to manipulate your hair more.

That makes sense!Thanks!!!

shetara20

Moisturize with a creamy leave-in conditioner or something like ORS Olive Oil (in the jar) or Redken Butter Treat. Seal with Castor Oil. If you wear cornrows, spray in the morning and the evening with a liquid leave-in (or one of your own concoction).

Do you have any breakage?

ETA: Okay, I just read where you said you had breakage. Have you tried putting conditioner on dry hair, baggying your whole head overnight, then rinsing in the morning? This has helped me stop the breakage. Also, like the other poster said, the constant manipulation may also be a culprit.

where can i purchase these moisturizers???

I do have a lot of breakage. I feel that it is due to putting my hair in a ponytail too tight.

shetara20

:bighug: Don't feel bad. I was hoping to have made SL as well.:ohwell: What kind of relaxer do you use? If you're using a harsh relaxer, maybe you should try something mild. My aunt used a Just For Me on my hair a few months ago and I love it. My hair is thick and very coarse and I'm impressed by the results. I'm going to stick to it.

Maybe you should try a moisturizing conditioner like Tresemme. Have you thought about trying some of the Ayuverdic products?

I used dr. miracle but i didnt leave it in my hair long. I just like this relaxer. Let me know where I can buy these products!thanks!

BirdieGray

I dont clarify.I probably cant buy what you suggested until i go home for break becuase i am in school (aka hicktown) where the biggest store here is walmart!LOL)

Wal-Mart's and Targets now carry Nexxus products, so you should be able to find it there. They're not the most inexpensive products in the world, but buy what you can, when you can. I understand a college student's budget only goes so far. :yep: For a cheaper moisturizing DC alternative try Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle DEEEEP Conditioning Treatment.

Galadriel

where can i purchase these moisturizers???

I do have a lot of breakage. I feel that it is due to putting my hair in a ponytail too tight.

Sally's Beauty Supply, your local Beauty Supply (esp. if it's next to/connected to a salon), and the Castor Oil I've found in Rite Aid/Walgreens type stores and even K-Mart :yep:.

Platinum

I used dr. miracle but i didnt leave it in my hair long. I just like this relaxer. Let me know where I can buy these products!thanks!

If you're willing to try the Ayurvedic powders and oils, you can try your local Indian stores. Be careful, some of the stores may sell expired stuff so don't forget to check the expiration dates. I mix my powders with a moisturizing conditioner.

Here are some threads that I find helpful:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228123

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=183305

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255217

Hope this helps!