Help. Amla and Shakikai powder making my hair hard

vnheath

Someone, please tell me what I could be doing wrong.

I am using the amla and shakikai powder as a tea to wash my hair and it is making my hair hard while I am washing it. The night before I pre-poo with the oils. As a wash, I am using 2 teaspoons of amla, one of shakakai, 1 cup of hot water and one cup of cold water, then I drain and wash my hair with the tea. I also conditionwash with conditioner after I wash with the tea. I have done this twice and both times my hair has been hard after I washed it. Please tell me what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks

nikki2229

Same EXACT thing here.
My 2nd time was this weekend. I followed everything you just said, including the pre oil the night before. I rinsed, applied conditioner, rinsed again and did a deep conditioner.

My hair feels like a protein overload and it's slightly breaking when I try to manipulate it with my fingers.

I hope that some experts will come in to comment.

LushLox

Could you clarify whether you're actually washing your hair with the tea - I wasn't quite sure from your post, as you're supposed to let the tea sit in the hair for a few minutes, and not manipulate the hair at all. I personally leave mine in for 10/15 minutes.

You've really got to spend a lot of time rinsing the tea out, the hair will still feel a bit hard, but by the time you conditioner wash it should be feeling smoother. I keep on conditioner washing until my hair is manageable, then I DC. My hair doesn't feel hard at all by the end of the process.

Dposh167

The ratio btwn amla & shikakai is not written in stone. U can alter it...and in ur case i would. Put more amla in there. And try sprinkling shikakai in there. I have fine hair...so my measurements for shikakai are very low. But it still got the job done even when i just sprinkled the shikakai in there. i will never do what i did b4 and try to up my shikakai level thinking its gonna make my hair super strong. it f'ed my hair up for weeks after that. So i would recommend using lower levels at first to find the best ratio mixture for ur hair

mamauv2

I also think you may need a little more water. I put mine in an empty water jug and shake, shake shake. I let it settle while I shower, pour it on, and I cowash with a moisturizing condish afterwards.

TaurusAngel

I agree with Poochie, you can alter it. That amount isn't set in stone. for me, my hair tends to like more shikakai than amla, crazy i know but it does. also, you aren't supposed to shampoo with it, you put it on and let it sit, then you rinse. no rubbing, massaging, etc. while that stuff is on your hair!!!!! lol, that can cause some bad breakage.

vnheath

Thanks, ladies for replying!

I didn't "shampoo" with it but let it sit on for about 2 or 3 minutes. I will change the mixture a little bit and take out some of the skakiai powder and add more amla.

thanks!

girlcherokee

i mixed shakaikai/brahmi and maka with either trader joes nourishing spa or now with suave humectant(this is sweet - will use this for now on) and leave it on while i shower then wash it out. thats my midweek treatment and it works wonders and i dont have hard hair after. i find that the brahmi and the maka counteract the hardening affect of the shakaikai - and they all strengthen.
OP - i would not try what i write next with what you are experiencing now - but this could work for someone else.
if i see any breakage - then i mix the above powders with aphogee 2 minute protien(scandalous i know) but this works perfectly for my hair has well - very little breakage and very little shedding now. dont do the protien mix if you have hair that is sensative to protien. mine can be overdone with protien but i find that it needs protien even though i use the powders. go figure. ofcourse after the protien mix i DC with moisturizing conditioners. wont do this too often.

meverllyn1

Shikakai can be drying, always mix more amla than shikakai because amla is suppose to be moisturizing. Here how i mix my, 1 part shikakai + 1 part amla + 1 part bhringeraj, both amla and bhringeraj are very moisturizing. As a matter of fact bhringeraj is the most moisturizing product i have ever put in my hair. Sometimes i make a tea out of it and add it to my conditioner let it sit for 30 minutes, and wow:blush: your hair will be so moisturize. For moisturizing bhringeraj beats amla hands down, but amla is moisturizing and it add strength, so if you want moisture and strength than amla will be the best option. When i need more moisture than strength i use both.

Remember this: Shikakai is strength and cleansing (can be drying), Amla is moisture and strength, Brahmi is for growth and stimulation (can be drying), Aritha is for oily scalp and build up (can be drying), Bhringeraj is for deep deep moisture. Never use Shikakai or Aritha or Brahmi on it's own, always mix it with amla or bhringeraj or both. I always mix 2 part moisture herbs to 1 part strength or cleansing or growth. Hope i help you.

Mev

Last edited:

infojunkie

Shikakai can be drying, always mix more amla than shikakai because amla is suppose to be moisturizing. Here how i mix my, 1 part shikakai + 1 part amla + 1 part bhringeraj, both amla and bhringeraj are very moisturizing. As a matter of fact bhringeraj is the most moisturizing product i have ever put in my hair. Sometimes i make a tea out of it and add it to my conditioner let it sit for 30 minutes, and wow:blush: your hair will be so moisturize. For moisturizing bhringeraj beats amla hands down, but amla is moisturizing and it add strength, so if you want moisture and strength than amla will be the best option. When i need more moisture than strength i use both.

Remember this: Shikakai is strength and cleansing (can be drying), Amla is moisture and strength, Brahmi is for growth and stimulation (can be drying), Aritha is for oily scalp and build up (can be drying), Bhringeraj is for deep deep moisture. Never use Shikakai or Aritha or Brahmi on it's own, always mix it with amla or bhringeraj or both. I always mix 2 part moisture herbs to 1 part strength or cleansing or growth. Hope i help you.

Mev

Nice summation.:yep: Thanks.

Hopefully I'll get to put my order in this week for the conditioning powders I don't have - then it's off to the races.

meverllyn1

One more thing, make sure you rinse your hair real good if any of the powder is left in your hair it will make it hard.

Mev