How to fix LOW porosity?

Neith

I know all about how to fix hair that is too porous, but what about hair on the other end of the spectrum?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

This is a great article mostly about handling overly porous hair. It briefly mentions the "problem" of low porosity hair.

I believe that my hair has low porosity.

I tried relaxing it with ORS no lye super strength for 20 mins and came out with looser, HIGHLY textured hair. As if I put a milder relaxer on for 5 - 10 mins.

Low porosity hair is not considered to be damaged or really "a problem". It doesn't leave my hair weak or overly dry or breaking. It doesn't absorb moisture easily, but it doesn't let it go very easily either.

It's just really resistant. It doesn't accept relaxers or color well. It doesn't heat straighten well. It's like having hair made of steel. It's strong and resilient.

How do I fix it??????????

locabouthair

I know all about how to fix hair that is too porous, but what about hair on the other end of the spectrum?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

This is a great article mostly about handling overly porous hair. It briefly mentions the "problem" of low porosity hair.

I believe that my hair has low porosity.

I tried relaxing it with ORS no lye super strength for 20 mins and came out with looser, HIGHLY textured hair. As if I put a milder relaxer on for 5 - 10 mins.

Low porosity hair is not considered to be damaged or really "a problem". It doesn't leave my hair weak or overly dry or breaking. It doesn't absorb moisture easily, but it doesn't let it go very easily either.

It's just really resistant. It doesn't accept relaxers or color well. It doesn't heat straighten well. It's like having hair made of steel. It's strong and resilient.

How do I fix it??????????

I have the same type of hair as you. I believe it's just something we are born with. I look at my strands and I can't believe how coarse and kinky they are even with a relaxer.

And like you I use the ORS super strength.

Unfortunately for me, I've had dryness issues for a while now. My hair doesnt stay moist for very long. DC does absolutely nada for me. I've NEVER had a conditioner keep my hair moist.

My hair is resistant to EVERYTHING!!!:wallbash:

Neith

I have the same type of hair as you. I believe it's just something we are born with. I look at my strands and I can't believe how coarse and kinky they are even with a relaxer.

And like you I use the ORS super strength.

Unfortunately for me, I've had dryness issues for a while now. My hair doesnt stay moist for very long. DC does absolutely nada for me. I've NEVER had a conditioner keep my hair moist.

My hair is resistant to EVERYTHING!!!:wallbash:

Yeah, most people with hair like ours say that it's just how our hair is.

I wonder if it's true?

I have had straight hair in my childhood and teens (always overprocessed, always with super no lye left in for 50 mins plus)

but after I started caring for my hair myself the proper way NOTHING would get my hair straight.

locabouthair

Yeah, most people with hair like ours say that it's just how our hair is.

I wonder if it's true?

I have had straight hair in my childhood and teens (always overprocessed, always with super no lye left in for 50 mins plus)

but after I started caring for my hair myself the proper way NOTHING would get my hair straight.

wow its like the more you describe your hair, the more it sounds like mine.
mine used to get straight as a kid when i relaxed. i went natural and then relaxed again and now its like my hair cant get straight for nothing. i dont know what changed.

Arcadian

A few ladies with hair like this use heat prior to relaxing. Its not something I would do (no need for me) but they found it worked for them. I would definitly search around for resistant hair threads.

-A

Neith

A few ladies with hair like this use heat prior to relaxing. Its not something I would do (no need for me) but they found it worked for them. I would definitly search around for resistant hair threads.

-A

I've been through those threads, probably started a few of them :yep:

I'd like a way to fix the porosity issue... not just find ways to deal with it. Although tips are useful, is there a cure?

If there is a way to fix porous hair, there must be a way to fix hair with low porosity...

JustKiya

I would think that shifting the pH of your hair to a more basic level would help.

Porosity is mainly controlled by how 'tightly' closed the cuticles on your hair are (as I understand it). The cuticles close in acidic conditions, and open more in basic ones - so, if you wanted to open your cuticles, you would want to use products with a high pH (above 6, or so).

Now, I don't know of any products with high pH's, but I know that most chemical products are alkaline - so a semi-perm color might make your hair more porous. Or *thinks* baking soda is alkaline, isn't it? Using that might make your hair more porous.

AtlantaJJ

I would think that shifting the pH of your hair to a more basic level would help.

Porosity is mainly controlled by how 'tightly' closed the cuticles on your hair are (as I understand it). The cuticles close in acidic conditions, and open more in basic ones - so, if you wanted to open your cuticles, you would want to use products with a high pH (above 6, or so).

Now, I don't know of any products with high pH's, but I know that most chemical products are alkaline - so a semi-perm color might make your hair more porous. Or *thinks* baking soda is alkaline, isn't it? Using that might make your hair more porous.
Johnson's Baby Shampoo has a pH of 8 so that it doesn't sting the eyes.

Neith

I guess I could try mixing baking soda with a conditioner and seeing how my hair responds (don't want to strip my hair)

It's just... aren't the cuticles supposed to be down tight as possible?

Why don't people who use acv and acidifying conditioners have any ill affects?

Would continuously exposing my hair to substances with a high pH damage it in the long run?

JustKiya

I guess I could try mixing baking soda with a conditioner and seeing how my hair responds (don't want to strip my hair)

It's just... aren't the cuticles supposed to be down tight as possible?

Why don't people who use acv and acidifying conditioners have any ill affects?

Would continuously exposing my hair to substances with a high pH damage it in the long run?

:ohwell: Personally, I think that most changes to hair to make it behave 'differently' than it inherently does, can, over time, cause damage. Having raised cuticles might make your hair feel 'rougher', and might leave it more prone to splits. :perplexed

ACV & Acidifying conditioners usually help make hair less porous, and that's what most people are going for - having those cuticles slicked down as tightly as possible.

I also have low porosity hair - I can leave perm color on for HOURS, and it will barely take, and despite having super soft, fine hair, back in the days I was getting a relaxer, I had to get super to get straight hair - otherwise, it looked like I barely did anything (or I left it on too long, and would end up with scabby head)

*shrug* It doesn't bother me now though - I'm just aware of it, and I work with my hair. Timing for products (conditioning and the like) are almost always doubled for me, because I know it's going to take longer to work. :) I don't consider it something that 'needs' to be fixed, ya know? And I still use acidic products, esp. for my ends, which are older and are the only part of my hair that IS porous.

*rereads thread*

Maybe, if anything, you could 'pretreat' your hair with something alkaline before doing a chemical process, so that your hair will take to the process better? That sounds like it's your main complaint?

xxCami

Well I dont know too much.
But I was browsing the beauty supply store and
I seen some porosity shampoo and conditioner.
It is supposed to make it equal..

so check it out.
if you can .
I dont have any links. But I remember pick the bottle up.
Its white with black lettering, very plain.

xxCami

My hair is dry too..
so is porosity the problem?

I hate to say it but
I have had to hot comb my hair after air drying ..
and then flat ironing on low/ medium .

i have 4b .
and its dry !!!!

I even leave the conditioner on and dry that way.

Neith

I've used porosity control (I'm a reformed PJ) lol

It didn't help me. I guess it's more for people whose hair is too porous.

If your hair isn't breaking or unhealthy and is resistant to relaxers and other chemical services, it may have low porosity.

I don't have a dryness problem. Like any 4a, my hair gets dry at times, but it's not an "issue" for me. You just have to stay on top of your DC and moisturizing.

Maybe you haven't found the right products for you.

My hair loves HEAVY DCs. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Miss Keys 10 en one and Elasta QP DPR-11 are my top 3 for dcs. I mix a tablespoon of oil in them.

locabouthair

My hair is dry too..
so is porosity the problem?

I hate to say it but
I have had to hot comb my hair after air drying ..
and then flat ironing on low/ medium .

i have 4b .
and its dry !!!!

I even leave the conditioner on and dry that way.

I've been on this board for a while and I would say your hair is very porous if you ruled out all of the following as causes to your dry hair

• poor diet, not enough water, iron or omega oils
  • buildup of products, which you may need to clarify
  • using too many products with cones
  • having hard water, which can leave mineral deposits on the hair, you would need a chelating shampoo to remove the deposits
  • using a no lye relaxer, can cause calcium buildup on the strands and you couls remedy this with a chelating shampoo as well
  • not enough deep conditioning, too much heat use, etc.

If none of the following are an issue for you, and you are constantly dealing with dry hair, then I would say your hair is probably porous, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Neith, I tried porosity control either and like you it did absolutely nada, I agree I think it's for people with high porosity.

Low porosity can be extremely frustating because my hair looks like a relaxer never touched it. I have been thinking about transitioning because it doesnt make sense for me to wear a relaxer for my hair to look like I'm natural.

I do have dryness issues though. My hair is very coarse and is resistant to everything. DC honestly doesnt do anything for my strands.

Anyway, I'm glad someone can relate to my issues, few people have this problem.

I wish sistaslick could chime in, I would love to hear what she thinks about low porosity.