Help: Fine Hair Breakage in One Spot

DeenIsFirst

Greetings! Long-term lurker here :grin:. I've been natural for 2 years but I didn't start taking care of my hair (or TRYING to) until I began lurking here about a year ago.

Right now, my hair is shoulder length/collar bone, and it's never been longer than that (throughout my previously relaxed and natural years). It grows in layers, which I don't like. And I have 3 distinct hair types on my head but I only claim the 4b because it is slightly dominant. From front to back it is: 4a, 4b, and then 3c. There's almost an imaginary line where my hair types can be divided up into thirds.

The issue I’m having is the “W” shape going on in the back. I have extremely fine strands all over but in the back it’s even worse. The back sides are at collar bone, but the middle breaks off very easily. The hairs in the middle back are so fine that if you rolled one between your fingers, you could not feel it. I’d like to know how to get that part to grow without breaking off. Even no-combing and strictly manipulating with my hands causes breakage there.

I feel like this will impede my goal because I will never attain full shoulder length, let alone APL!

It is NOT cute to have a huge space in the middle of your head lol. And a little about my regimen: I haven’t used heat since Jan. 09, I deep condition/wash about every 10 days and rinse 2 times a week, protective style 90% of the time (braids, twists), moisturize daily.

Note: I cover my hair when I go out (for religious reasons), so it’s not likely that I can post pics:sad:. Any tips would be appreciated (I've seen the fine hair thread but still not sure what to do about SUPER fine strands).

Thank you!!! You ladies have been a great help thus far!!!:grin:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hi! Welcome to the board! :welcome:

I am 4a/b and have a 4b texture at the crown. I tended to have loads of breakage there. I focused more moisture on that area, babied it, and tried lower manipulation. I have found that my hair likes a little heat so I blow dry once a week and allow it to airdry the rest of the time. Since I've been doing this, it's started to catch up with the rest of my hair.

I'm sure the other ladies will chime in :)

beana

Greetings! Long-term lurker here :grin:. I've been natural for 2 years but I didn't start taking care of my hair (or TRYING to) until I began lurking here about a year ago.

Right now, my hair is shoulder length/collar bone, and it's never been longer than that (throughout my previously relaxed and natural years). It grows in layers, which I don't like. And I have 3 distinct hair types on my head but I only claim the 4b because it is slightly dominant. From front to back it is: 4a, 4b, and then 3c. There's almost an imaginary line where my hair types can be divided up into thirds.

The issue I’m having is the “W” shape going on in the back. I have extremely fine strands all over but in the back it’s even worse. The back sides are at collar bone, but the middle breaks off very easily. The hairs in the middle back are so fine that if you rolled one between your fingers, you could not feel it. I’d like to know how to get that part to grow without breaking off. Even no-combing and strictly manipulating with my hands causes breakage there.

I feel like this will impede my goal because I will never attain full shoulder length, let alone APL!

It is NOT cute to have a huge space in the middle of your head lol. And a little about my regimen: I haven’t used heat since Jan. 09, I deep condition/wash about every 10 days and rinse 2 times a week, protective style 90% of the time (braids, twists), moisturize daily.

Note: I cover my hair when I go out (for religious reasons), so it’s not likely that I can post pics:sad:. Any tips would be appreciated (I've seen the fine hair thread but still not sure what to do about SUPER fine strands).

Thank you!!! You ladies have been a great help thus far!!!:grin:

WELCOME:grin:!!!

Well, i'm not too sure of what to say, but the way you describe your hair sounds almost EXACTLY like mine. I think a vitamin deficiency may have contributed to my "problem" (which is much better now that i;ve stopped taking BC pills and have added a food-based daily multivitamin to my diet).

I HTH that helps a bit... I can definitely relate to your frustration of having 3 distinct textures/levels of thickness on your head.

DeenIsFirst

WELCOME:grin:!!!

I think a vitamin deficiency may have contributed to my "problem" (which is much better now that i;ve stopped taking BC pills and have added a food-based daily multivitamin to my diet).

Thanks, ladies! Well, I am anemic but I dont like taking pills, so I don't:ohwell:. But that's def something to consider!!

pookaloo83

My hair does this in the front. It itches there as well. I need to take vitamins.I was told I may be anemic.

FluffyRed

that happens to my fine hair when I don't sleep on silk, even for ONE night!!!

I also suspect the headrest in my car. Looking to wrap that insilk as well.

HTH

Fhrizzball

Does that area seem more dry as well? Maybe it may be due to porosity problems as well so some ACV or porosity control may help on that. I use henna to thicken up my hair but that may not be for everyone. Hot oil treatments along with more deep conditioning may help. When you apply products to the hair make sure that section has the product on first and is washed out the last. Making sure your protein/moisture is in balance is a must too.

DeenIsFirst

No, the area doesnt seem more dry. The 4b area is the dryest. But these are good tips that I WILL be trying. Never used silk either, I always thought the satin night caps sufficed.

Rei

!! this is EXACTLY like my hair. I have 4b in the front, then an invisible line, 4a for a lot of the back, then in the middle of the nape, a soft, fine, hair. I cant even type it. It's not 3c or 4a because it doesn't curl, but its soft and fine even when dry, which is not like my 4b hair, it won't hold braids or twists easily, and it breaks off if i look at it the wrong way. :/ My hair keeps on growing out in a W shape because the hair in that area doesn't seem to want to retain. I"ve been trying to figure out what to do with it too. It seems that just leaving it alone in braids does not help, considering I just had to have a trim and the W shape was back. >__<

CaliDiamond

I used to have the same problem...until i upped my washing from 1x a week to 2x a week and the area grew like crazy! I also kept the area moisturized and scalp fresh by stimulating it with essential oils (rosemary, peppermint, tea tree oil) for good growth. Now its slowly coming back in with crazy new growth. I know how frustrating it can be (I'm trying to get to SL from NL), but hang in there!

DeenIsFirst

!! this is EXACTLY like my hair. I have 4b in the front, then an invisible line, 4a for a lot of the back, then in the middle of the nape, a soft, fine, hair. I cant even type it. It's not 3c or 4a because it doesn't curl, but its soft and fine even when dry, which is not like my 4b hair, it won't hold braids or twists easily, and it breaks off if i look at it the wrong way. :/ My hair keeps on growing out in a W shape because the hair in that area doesn't seem to want to retain. I"ve been trying to figure out what to do with it too. It seems that just leaving it alone in braids does not help, considering I just had to have a trim and the W shape was back. >__<

I had to laugh out loud at the bold, lol. I really thought i was the only one :)

Duchesse

I have the exact. same. problem! As a natural, texlax, relaxed, it doesn't matter, the W always finds a way to come back. I'll try upping my DC's to twice a week and see what happens. I swear I'm giving this hair growing biz one more year of my life and if I keep having the same issues...pixie cut here I come.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
OMGoodness:eek:, my hair is like the same way. This W thing is very frustrating. I'm hoping that by not having relaxers it will help this area to grow thicker. I'm also contemplating having my hair straightend so I can get a nice trim/cut in such a way as that my sides will be shorter than my nape so that hopefully they will catch up with each other. IDK, I'm still learning what works best for my hair so mostly I have been trying to just leave that area alone and make sure my hair has a good moisture protein balance.
Good luck.:yawn: