Relaxed ladies with fine hair?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Thanks! I also notice that my hair loves cones and does well with them. However, I still need to clarify once a week or once every two weeks to avoid build-up. I agree, too, that protein is good for fine-haired ladies; however, my hair cannot take too harsh of proteins, though. I couldn't do an Aphrogee treatment because it's too harsh or hard. My hair loves Silicon Mix, henna, and deep moisturizing conditioners. My ends look great and I'm using a bit of castor oil on them nightly and wrapping my hair with silk bonnets. Protective buns work for me as well. I'll wear my hair in a bun for 5 days a week. Sadly baggying does not work too well for me. I have to baggy about 4 days a week, every other day rather than daily. Too much moisture weighs the hair down and causes breakage.

glamazon386

CaptainSyrup said:
Hello. I went to a ladies house today to get sisterlocks done, and I noticed that she did relaxers, too. I asked her about them, and she said my hair would probably not grow past shoulder length because it was fine.

So, I was wondering if it's possibe to grow out fine hair with a relaxer? I'm hoping to reach waist length some day. I'm not sure where to find the different hairstypes chart, but I know I'm a 4-something. (Forgive me if the chart's been posted somewhere already, I did a search but it was a looong time ago.)

If I do get it relaxed, it would be bone straight. If any ladies have any success stories with fine relaxed hair, let me know. <3

It's possible. I might take some extra care but it can be done.

klb120475

Another relaxed-fine hair chick checking in.....

I just wanna say I really appreciate this thread. In the past I've always worn my hair in a chin length bob and everytime I attempt to grow my hair I always get frustrated and cut it back to chin length. Right now, my hair is finally at shoulder length and I'm going to continue to strive towards my APL goal.

Thanks ya'll......:grin:

*Michelle*

OP: That lady ought to be ashamed of herself!! You'll grow just fine, just conntinue to take care of your hair...you have lots of wonderful inspiration right here!

Just checking in with my fine hair/medium density self. Like someone else said I can go "pretty" easily for about 4 mos...I have to work with it a little more on the fifth month. So depending if there is an event or something I may t-up the 4 mo...I texlax, from start to end a total time of 10mins max.

Empress Yahudah

Bumpity..Bump.....Bless Up Ladies!!!! another fine haired/relaxed sista checkin in...I love this thread very motivative Im often confused with having med/thick hair but I have fine hair I just have alot of strands...My hair still gets weight down easily tho... Ive learned less is more..literally I just use a leave-in (Lacio Lacio) to set my hair on rollers ..I can get away with a lite serum or oil sheen too but I only use a tad bit :)

RZILYNT

I have fine hair also, but my hair has managed to grow to about an inch below my BS. I was on a no heat regimen. ( I have been cheating with the last 2 shampoos)

It seems to be hovering right there. There is plenty of new growth and I don't see any breakage. Time will tell if it continues to add length to my hair. But if not, I will be very pleased that I have made it this far in my journey. :)

RZ~

angenoir

This is a great thread. *subscribing*
I have fine strands and thin/medium density.
Relaxing bone straight is really bad for my hair and last time I think I overprocessed. I used phyto II but I think it was just too strong because my hair came out straighter than I wanted.
Next relaxer I am going to use phyto I which is for fine hair and even then I only intend to leave it in for a few minutes.

I am about 3 months post and I want to stretch for another 3 months. I am stretching using braids.

Ivonnovi

My hair is fine too. I've achieved "collar bone length" CBL (< "I just made that up :Grin: )
...by backing off heat, avoiding product heavy styles, minimizing heat exposure, and texlaxing.

To keep it short: Just take care of your fine strands and you will be just fine. I can not comb or play in my hair like some of my other thicker haired sisters can.

NOW I'm surpised that she was able to get (and be satisfied with) sista locs with fine hair. My consultant told me he could do it but I'd see a LOT OF SCALP and probably would not be happy. He was right, I don't want to see my scalp like that.

caramelma

I have fine/thin soft hair and I have always been told that it is fine but I have a lot of it but it dosent look like it to me. also it is thin because of weaves and tight braids and I always say that if I ever get my hair back like it was before all of the abuse I WILL NEVER TOUCH ANY KIND OF WEAVE AGAIN

Lucky's Mom

I agree with many of the long haired ladies!

I have fine strands - but many many of them ( so dense,fine)... When I was relaxed, and my stylist used Gold well leave in and wet set WEEKLY - My hair did GREAT!!!!!

EVERYTHING went down hill when heat - hot irons, over lapped relaxers, and harsh shampoos were not part of the process.......

I was 18 - 25 when my hair was doing great.....
Since I don't know how to relax - and...... I trust no one.... I can't go back. If I could... I would say that every heat appliance must be tossedout - except the Pibbs.... and protien, along with Uber moisture would be your friend.

Last edited:

BadMamaJama

This is a really great thread. For years I always wore my hair short because I felt that past my collar it was too thin. Now that I know more about my hair and what it likes, I'm trying to grow it super long!

hellorebecca

bumping because I just realized. . I have fine hair!!

it's crazy what you learn on the internet :)

I can't believe I never knew! now a lot of stuff is making sense. . .

Soulberry

I was also a fine haired sister When I was relaxing. I tried Megatek, Sulfur, Jbco with No Improvement!!! I also tried Vitamins
Nothing seemed to help but since i been transitioning to natural ladies what an improvement!!! Omg I can't believe it
I sat down and thought why are you Relaxing if you got Fine Hair doesn't make since. I hope you ladies find the answer I'm just saying what worked for me.