Help! I am trying to go longer between touch ups

msniq

I am having such a hard time stretching it. My head hurts and itches. Can someone give me some ideas on what I should do. I want to go atleast 10 weeks. I am at 7 now. The styling is not really that much of a problem. I can do a braid it wet or waving iron ( I know heat is bad). I am not sure of my hair type as per Andre. It's not naturally straight nor is it kinky. If I did not have a relaxer I would have really think but managable hair, kinda Think Vanessa Williams when she was Miss America. I saw that some use a curl activator, what does that do? Doesn't your hair get greasy? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Crysdon

Try coconut oil. It will really help stretch out your touch-ups.

The curl activator won't make your hair greasy. Get the S-Curl no drip formula, it can also soothe your itching. I thought the same thing and it has done nothing but wonders for my hair.

As far as your hair type goes, hmmm? Do you watch the Real World? If so, the girl Irulan (super skinny girl with the curly hair) has type 2b/2c hair and so does Ananda Lewis. If you look at your toddler pics or pics before you got a relaxer, it can help determine your hair type.

msniq

No my hair is not like either of the people you mentioned. I think when I was younger my hair would be curly when wet but then frizz when dry. I remember my mom would wash and braid it or roller set it. Sometimes she would blow it dry. I just had a flash back of one Monday (mom blow dried my hair on Sunday night) going to school ( I was the only one of color) and my teahcer making a comment about my hair being so straight! UGH like she cornered the market on straight hair!

Crysdon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think when I was younger my hair would be curly when wet but then frizz when dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair sounds like mine. You may be a 3b/3c. What size are your natural curls, if you remember?

LondonDiva

Try using the Profective Root Health (Green Tub) on the new growth. It softens my 4b type hair wonderfully. I'm due for a touch up by now and I'm sure I can go a whole lot longer than 6 weeks this time.

Try using moisturising shampoos such as

This keeps the hair very moist and easier to manage around touch up time. It's my fave at the moment

Jenai

What helped me was washing more often, especially conditioner washes. Water helped to moisturize and soften my new growth. Also using a detangling leave in conditioning spray (Elasta H-2) before combing your hair will help. The S-Curl will not make your hair greasy if you only use a little.

Second the vote for coconut oil. It smoothes out the hair and helps it to lay down. You might want to use a light oil (I also use apricot kernel oil) on your ends to keep them soft. Many have recommended jojoba oil for this purpose.

And most important - Only comb your hair after it is has been properly moisturized either right after washing and applying a good leave in conditioner, after applying a detangling spray, S-Curl, etc.

Nova

Usually there's "NO WAY" I can go past 6/wks. without experiencing "SERIOUS BREAKAGE" because of the new growth. I was just telling my daughters last night I was due for a touch-up on 9 March. But my new growth is so soft &amp; wavy, I think I can make it to 10/wks.!

I've added pure coconut oil to my regime. So that has to be it. If I can just make it to 12/wks.! Maybe trying the coconut oil will help you stretch (w/o exp. major breakeage) out your touch ups. Whatever you try, good luck!

gvsugirl

I just went 9 weeks w/o a touch up and I just did twist outs the whole time....NEVA AGAIN! my hair was always so dry and tangled and when my stylist applied the relaxer i was in pain cause she practically ripped my hair apart in order to part it. I think I can last another 8 weeks but no more twistouts during those last weeks.

beana3

gvsugirl, boy did you tell the truth! i'm a BIG proponent for twist outs, but near touch up time (the week or wash before) I would STRONGLY suggest that people steer clear. I never airdry brfoe my relaxer, b/c its just horrible, when i dry with heat my hair is str8er, hence to relaxer is easier to apply and I just proper relaxation.

Honi

There is no board.
I'm almost 16 weeks and the one thing that has saved me is doing an Aphogee protein treatment for damanged hair midpoint, coconut oil and rollersets. I put melted coconut oil on my roots, roll and sit under the dryer. This helps straighten and soften the roots wonderfully.

Tracy

An itchy and tender scalp is common for many people as they wait for touch ups misnig....

Usually that happens because you are manipulating your hair a lot and with the two textures the scalp gets sore (and because the new curls at the scalp can trap sweat and product sometimes the scalp gets a little itchy too). I say try styling less and less while the hair is dry and do most of your stlying when the hair is wet. This means frequent rinsing or washing. Wet buns, a wet and wavy look that you don't have to touch once it's dry. I leave regular conditioner in my hair quite often past 7 weeks - just to give me more detangling as I comb through wet.

Saturating my hair with moisture (water and conditioner) is what I do to eliminate the stress of manipulation on both my hair and scalp. This allows me to go an average of 10 weeks between each relaxer.