Help I have 1 1/4 of New Growth--Strecthing Tips

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Help I have 1 1/4 of New Growth--Stretching Tips

So ladies since joining this forum I haven't been using heat on my hair (1x like every 2 months). I have raised my dosage on vitamins and my new growth has been coming in faster than what I expected. Managing it, so that it won't break off is the problem. I am 6 weeks post relaxer and streching to 12. Help!:(

How can I keep my NG feeling smooth and soft without breaking my hair or using heat?

What products have given you a slice of heaven when managing the growth of your hair?

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!:D

Last edited:

Jewell

Girl! Where did you get all that new growth??!! I am 5 weeks post today stretching to 12, so we are in the same boat, basically. Before my last touch-up, I stretched for 12 weeks, and had 2.5 inches of new growth, and I did CO washes 3-6 times a week w/ Nexxus Humectress and Aussie Moist. That really helped my new growth. Right now I have about 1/2" of new growth. All I do is shampoo twice a week, and apply Sulfur 8 to my scalp afterwards. I wear protective styles all the time, and air dry. I haven't used heat in 1 year, 5 months.

My Stretching Staples:

-Creme of Nature Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo (green and yellow bottle)
-Dabur Vatika Oil
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
-Nexxus Keraphix

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Jewell said:
Girl! Where did you get all that new growth??!! I am 5 weeks post today stretching to 12, so we are in the same boat, basically. Before my last touch-up, I stretched for 12 weeks, and had 2.5 inches of new growth, and I did CO washes 3-6 times a week w/ Nexxus Humectress and Aussie Moist. That really helped my new growth. Right now I have about 1/2" of new growth. All I do is shampoo twice a week, and apply Sulfur 8 to my scalp afterwards. I wear protective styles all the time, and air dry. I haven't used heat in 1 year, 5 months.

My Stretching Staples:

-Creme of Nature Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo (green and yellow bottle)
-Dabur Vatika Oil
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
-Nexxus Keraphix

Jewell that was funny:lol:.I am taking alot of vitamins...I thinks thats where the growth is from.I raised the biotin from 2000 to 5000mcgs a day. (Big Difference)

-Puritan Pride Biotin 5000mcg
-PP MSM-500mcg
-PP B-100's
-PP Daily Mulitvitamin for women (Hair,skin,nails)

Maybe I should do more CO washes o help with the strecthing. My NG feels hard compared to the rest of my hair. I don't really wear protective styles. I usually sport a ponytail b/c thats all time allows me. I was looking at Aussie moist while I was in walgreens the other day. How does that make your hair feel??

senimoni

Wow that is great!!! I only stretched to 9+ weeks last time but my castor oil/ntm mix and more frequent co washes helped a ton.

senimoni

Not sure about a jar...mine came in a glass bottle. Its sorta thick though...so putting it directly on dry hair seemed damaging to me, but once I started using it either mixed with ntm or layered on after the ntm...it worked for me....very soft new growth!!!!

sky_blu

Jewell said:
and I did CO washes 3-6 times a week w/ Nexxus Humectress and Aussie Moist. That really helped my new growth. Right now I have about 1/2" of new growth. All I do is shampoo twice a week, and apply Sulfur 8 to my scalp afterwards. I wear protective styles all the time, and air dry. I haven't used heat in 1 year, 5 months.

I have a question. Now do you wait until 5 post relaxer to start CO washing that many times a week?? Right now I try to wash once a week but Im scared to do more than that because I was told it would strip my hair of natural oils necessary to keep it healthy. And why is everyone stretching their relaxers?? Before I joined I had been stretching mine due to shortage of money :lol: but unhealthyly (if thats a word) so I didnt get mine until between 8-12 weeks sometimes longer (struggling college student) sad I know.

Jewell

sky_blu said:
I have a question. Now do you wait until 5 post relaxer to start CO washing that many times a week?? Right now I try to wash once a week but Im scared to do more than that because I was told it would strip my hair of natural oils necessary to keep it healthy. And why is everyone stretching their relaxers?? Before I joined I had been stretching mine due to shortage of money :lol: but unhealthyly (if thats a word) so I didnt get mine until between 8-12 weeks sometimes longer (struggling college student) sad I know.

Oh no! I don't CO wash at all anymore. I think the only time I will go back to CO washing is if I stretch past 12 weeks. I did that CO washing on my last stretch, and eventhough I am stretching again, I just shampoo and condition twice a week. Mainly, people are stretching to avoid overlapping the relaxer on previously relaxed hair. Its easier to avoid doing that with more new growth. Plus, the less your hair comes in contact with chemicals, the better (going 9-10 weeks between relaxers versus 5 weeks cuts the contact with a relaxer in half). HTH! :D

sky_blu

Jewell said:
Oh no! I don't CO wash at all anymore. I think the only time I will go back to CO washing is if I stretch past 12 weeks. I did that CO washing on my last stretch, and eventhough I am stretching again, I just shampoo and condition twice a week. Mainly, people are stretching to avoid overlapping the relaxer on previously relaxed hair. Its easier to avoid doing that with more new growth. Plus, the less your hair comes in contact with chemicals, the better (going 9-10 weeks between relaxers versus 5 weeks cuts the contact with a relaxer in half). HTH! :D

Oh ok. So I guess Ive been something almost right. I just need to get the washes down. Does washing the hair twice a week help your hair?? As far as breaking, split ends, and all of the other hair problems we go through.

Diane71

Wow, you guys really get a lot of new growth once a month, especially Jewell. Where can you find Aussie Moist Con from. I keep hearing raves about it having great slip which is what I need cause I am going on 7 weeks post relaxer and my NG is puffy and tight. Help!!

-----------------------------
Last relaxer touch-up: March 2005
Next relaxer touch-up: May 2005 (9 wks post)
Considering cornrows for the summer to give
my hair a rest.
Next salon visit for blow -out: August 2005

http://public.fotki.com/Diane71/

Jewell

sky_blu said:
Oh ok. So I guess Ive been something almost right. I just need to get the washes down. Does washing the hair twice a week help your hair?? As far as breaking, split ends, and all of the other hair problems we go through.

Yes. It helps my hair. There was a time in the last 3 weeks where I was shampooing and conditioning EVERY SINGLE DAY, but my scalp turned out to be dry as a desert, although my hair was shiny and healthy. I also had more shedding, I think due to my scalp. That's when I decided to go back to greasing my scalp. I have to shampoo twice a week because I use Sulfur 8, and it is rather heavy. I don't have any breakage, and on my last search and destroy, I only found ONE split end. I think that's pretty good since I haven't had a trim since January 05. I contribute that more to wearing protective styles frequently, and not using any heat appliances.

Last edited:

Jewell

Diane71 said:
Wow, you guys really get a lot of new growth once a month, especially Jewell. Where can you find Aussie Moist Con from. I keep hearing raves about it having great slip which is what I need cause I am going on 7 weeks post relaxer and my NG is puffy and tight. Help!!

-----------------------------
Last relaxer touch-up: March 2005
Next relaxer touch-up: May 2005 (9 wks post)
Considering cornrows for the summer to give
my hair a rest.
Next salon visit for blow -out: August 2005

http://public.fotki.com/Diane71/

Wal-mart, K-mart, and most drug stores carry it. :D

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Miss_Jetsetter said:
WGO mixed with NTM Serum has always worked for me.

Oh girl your hair has grown so much! I have wanted try WGO oil but always end up buying others things. Maybe I should make it a priority to try it.:D

Miss_Jetsetter

vikkisecret said:
Oh girl your hair has grown so much! I have wanted try WGO oil but always end up buying others things. Maybe I should make it a priority to try it.:D

Hey Vikki,

You should really try it because on this last go round, I streched to five months while using that and I REALLY think that it helped!

FashionistaNY

I have 4a hair and I stretched my relaxer at most 7 months. It was hard as hell. However, it requires a lot of moisturizing. What I did, I would wash my hair every week, apply a moisturizing conditioner and sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes. Roller set w/leave in conditioner and believe, the roots was very very thick (I had a little over 3" of new growth). However, I would wrap my hair but spray my roots with leave-in conditioner. This softened and made my new growth managable.

In general, I can usually go 10-12 weeks between relaxers before I encounter problems.