Help...I have to do my OWN hair for my wedding!

Leslie_C

Ladies....please help me out. Im style challenged as it is and of course I want my hair to look nice on my wedding day. The problem is....the wedding is in our home town in TN and to my knowlege there arent any black hairdressers there. The only one I know of moved away. The wedding is in March, so I thought if I started practicing now I could achieve the style I want by then. Would I be better off doing it myself or going to a white stylist (images of hairspray all over my hair). I want it to look something like this,
but I dont know how to get the curls (rollerset? curling iron?) and I especially dont know how to get them to hold. Of course I want shine and movement! Ill be wearing a tiara...not sure about a veil yet.

Basically what products, tools, and method do I need to ahieve this style?

Im open to other nice styles that would be easy to reproduce if you have pics! I personally just think I look way better with my hair down so Im leaning away from total updo's.

KinksnCurlz

*Disclaimer, I am NOT a professional :lol: *

You will need:

Medium sized curling iron
Heat protectant/serum/spritz
Med/firm holding spray
Clips (they sell those at drugstores)
Blowdryer (optional)

On clean straightened hair, take a small section, use the protectant, and wrap the hair around the curling iron (do not use the curling iron clamp). Pin curl each section after curling until you've done your entire head. Turn the blow dryer on and run the heat over your entire head for about 3-5 minutes. The heat helps "set" the curl.

After you've done your make-up (or whatever else you need to do), take the pins out. Take sections of the curled hair and pin them as you see them in the picture using wig pins or small bobby pins (that match your hair color). Do NOT use a comb to part your hair, as you will disturb the curls. Attach the clips (pictured) wherever you see fit.

Once you are done, spray your hair with the holding spray.

Post pics so I can see if that works :lol:

Dee-Licious

If I can find an excuse to use all that heat, i'd :love: to try this style

good luck OP

You will need:

Med/firm holding spray
Blowdryer (optional)

On clean straightened hair, take a small section, use the protectant, and wrap the hair around the curling iron (do not use the curling iron clamp). Pin curl each section after curling until you've done your entire head. Turn the blow dryer on and run the heat over your entire head for about 3-5 minutes. The heat helps "set" the curl.

After you've done your make-up (or whatever else you need to do), take the pins out. Take sections of the curled hair and pin them as you see them in the picture using wig pins or small bobby pins (that match your hair color). Do NOT use a comb to part your hair, as you will disturb the curls. Attach the clips (pictured) wherever you see fit.

lana

Hi there, congratulations! I'm getting married in January and I'm also doing my own hair. :grin:

I'm excited because I do all my own styling and care. There are tons of (black) and other stylist where I live and I wouldn't dare go to one of them - cause I like how I do my own hair! Plus, I trust myself. :yep:

Looks like for the style you want, you can spiral curl your hair and then upsweep the top with pins. Then place the decorative pins throughout your hair. That should do it. I suggest Chi Silk Infusion and the Shine spray for shine. A soft hold hair spray may be needed to keep those curls in place throughout the day.

I'm doing a spiral curl down style for my wedding and dinner. I will try to find a picture of a style that I want.

LovelyRo

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Although I think that you can probably achieved this style on your own, I just don't think that you need the added stress of doing your own hair. Is there a way that you can try out a white stylist the area before the wedding? I'm sure they are familiar with styling the hair like this AND you can instruct them on what they can and can't do :orders:and they'll probably listen for fear of messing up a black woman's hair!

Tebby1017

Congrats on the wedding! Speaking from my own experience, I was in no condition to do my own hair on my wedding day. I love the style that you chose (kinda similar to the one I wore on my wedding day), but if I (ME PERSONALLY) had to do my own hair, I would opt for something more simple. Do you have a family member or any friends who might be able to do you hair or at the very least HELP you do your hair?

Tebby

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Where exactly in TN is the wedding? If it's in Memphis, I refuse to believe that there aren't any good black stylists there. Let us know. My mother's family is from Memphis and they could probably help out on this.

However, your hair looks FANTASTIC!!! You may be able to do it yourself, but I certainly understand about the stress. You don't need it. I love that style, by the way. :yep:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEDDING, by the way! :clapping::band2:

I didn't know you were getting married. That's wonderful and you are very blessed! :yep:

caribgirl

You will need:

Med/firm holding spray
Blowdryer (optional)

Great instructions! Oh Leslie, you can do that style!!! Just practice as much as possible (on a low heat setting though). Congrats!!! And I can't wait for the pics!

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Hey lesliec!! congrats on the upcoming wedding. I know that Lonei, another member did her own hair too and it looked lovely. I would check out her album. It looked a little similar to the pic. HTH!:grin:

remnant

Hey lesliec!! congrats on the upcoming wedding. I know that Lonei, another member did her own hair too and it looked lovely. I would check out her album. It looked a little similar to the pic. HTH!:grin:

You read in my mind qtslim83
CONGRATULATION ON THE WEDDING LADY:congrats:

seeminglysweet

From your profile pic you look to be APL length.

If you want your curls to last all day AND night I would not use heat.

I would rollerset with small and medium sized magnetic or mesh rollers, which ever you are comfortable and will give you a tight hold.

Use mousse on each section before rolling to give you curls some holding power.

Dry under a hooded dryer, that will be most time efficient and will give you softness, shine and bounce.

Remove the rollers in a downward spiral motion, pick curls apart and use bobby pins to pin up sections of hair.

Finish with your floral hair accessories, some light holding spray, shine spray and you should be good to go.

It's really not a difficult style. Just practice your rollersets and you should be a pro my March.

Sly

Congratulations, Leslie_C!!!

I think you are at an advantage having to do your own hair. :yep: That style would look very nice if you rollerset really tight a day or two before and let it fall naturally as the days go by, pin curling at night to sleep in, and esp the night before the 'big day'. On your wedding day you can freshen up a curl or two with curling iron, pin up the front and add the pearls. I prefer natural falling curls rather than crispy (unnatural looking) spirals some stylist leave you with when you ask for this look.

Best wishes!

Last edited:

Monigirl

I am so excited for you. You-tube.com has allot of hair styles instructional videos online. Maybe seeing a video will help too. I"ll pray that all goes well for you and your future hubby. God bless.

Leslie_C

awww thanks ladies...I was worried no one would respond lol.

The wedding is in Johnson City, TN. Ever heard of it? I didnt think so!:lachen:Well we are from Johnson City but the wedding is going to be at the Allandale Mansion about 30 minutes away in Kingsport.

I will say that the only reason I feel capable of doing my own hair is because it is a very small wedding. There will be no more than 30 guests. Its our immediate families and a few friends and thats it. So hopefully it wont be toooo tooo stressful of a day. We decided the people who matter the most are the ones you dont feel you have to impress and who are there to share a special day and not to have something to talk about as far as what you did and didnt have and do at the wedding. The bigger the wedding and the more people you invite...the more and more you end up doing because you feel you have to present a certain image. It becomes more about other people than it does the couple! We just dont want that.

Ill try to duplicate the style and Ill post pics! Thanks for the congratulations and for the suggestions!

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Congrats on the upcoming wedding girlie!! I'd using a curling iron to achieve that style and put it on a medium setting so that the curls to come out too tight. There's a picture in my fotki where I have a bunch of curls and I used a curling iron to do it, but the temp setting was on the highest I could set it because I wanted tight curls. I'm sure you can find the little accessories somewhere like Claires or RiteAid or even Walgreens. And though I don't use hairspray, I'd use something like Kenra's Platinum Spray (very light and won't weigh your hair down) or Aquanet, but if you use the latter, make sure to hold the can as far away from your hair as you can. You don't want to spray too much and have your hair stiff.

Nella

Congratulations and dont forget to post pics of trial runs and of your big day. I certainly know that you can achieve this style.

lennet93

First off let me say Congrats on your big day! I got married in August and I had my hair done very similar to that style. I did go to the salon because I wanted tracks added for length and fullness. The stylist used yellow magnetic rollers and rolled each section sideways and sat me under the dryer for about an hour. I didn't try to loosen the curls at all I just let them drop on their own. I say all that to say...I'm sure you can do it yourself!:yep:

Moroni

Ladies....please help me out. Im style challenged as it is and of course I want my hair to look nice on my wedding day. The problem is....the wedding is in our home town in TN and to my knowlege there arent any black hairdressers there. The only one I know of moved away. The wedding is in March, so I thought if I started practicing now I could achieve the style I want by then. Would I be better off doing it myself or going to a white stylist (images of hairspray all over my hair). I want it to look something like this,
but I dont know how to get the curls (rollerset? curling iron?) and I especially dont know how to get them to hold. Of course I want shine and movement! Ill be wearing a tiara...not sure about a veil yet.

Basically what products, tools, and method do I need to ahieve this style?

Im open to other nice styles that would be easy to reproduce if you have pics! I personally just think I look way better with my hair down so Im leaning away from total updo's.

I got beautiful spiral curls, Leslie, using my Caruso curlers. Perhaps you could practice with those?

fluffylocks

awww thanks ladies...I was worried no one would respond lol.

The wedding is in Johnson City, TN. Ever heard of it? I didnt think so!:lachen:Well we are from Johnson City but the wedding is going to be at the Allandale Mansion about 30 minutes away in Kingsport.

I will say that the only reason I feel capable of doing my own hair is because it is a very small wedding. There will be no more than 30 guests. Its our immediate families and a few friends and thats it. So hopefully it wont be toooo tooo stressful of a day. We decided the people who matter the most are the ones you dont feel you have to impress and who are there to share a special day and not to have something to talk about as far as what you did and didnt have and do at the wedding. The bigger the wedding and the more people you invite...the more and more you end up doing because you feel you have to present a certain image. It becomes more about other people than it does the couple! We just dont want that.

Ill try to duplicate the style and Ill post pics! Thanks for the congratulations and for the suggestions!

Oh i see. At first i was going to say maybe you shouldnt even chance it and stress yourself out and see if you can find a good stylist to come do your hair and stay around and fix it up whenever you needed before your wedding and come to terms on some money agreement with her, but your just going to be infront of close family. That is such a beautifull place---thats where its going to be at? Anyway, Congrats! Im so excited for you---please dont forget to post pics.

Leslie_C

Oh i see. At first i was going to say maybe you shouldnt even chance it and stress yourself out and see if you can find a good stylist to come do your hair and stay around and fix it up whenever you needed before your wedding and come to terms on some money agreement with her, but your just going to be infront of close family. That is such a beautifull place---thats where its going to be at? Anyway, Congrats! Im so excited for you---please dont forget to post pics.

Thanks! Yeah its going to be very small and simple! I dont even think we are doing a formal sit down dinner....it will probably be heavy hors duerves (sp?) and punch/cake bc it will be early in the afternoon and then if people want to go out to eat dinner that evening we can do that. Yep thats where its gonna be...I thought it looked "alright" in the picture, but we went by there over thanksgiving when we went to visit family and its breathtaking! Should make some nice pictures! The most expensive thing is going to be the photographer bc I want to have good pictures since they are the only thing u have to keep forever as a memory.

Yall better suggest a good heat protectant bc Im gonna be doing a lot of practicing to get this style! See the thing is, Im texlaxed so it might not get perfectly smooth if I do a rollerset (I guess I could flat iron the roots though...).

Carusos only give me loose curls and my hair puffs out eventually since its texlaxed.

Ill definitely post trial pics...

frankie

That's a pretty style choice. I agree with setting your hair on small rollers or perm rods to achieve the curls, I think they'd hold much longer than using a curling iron.

LovelyRo

If you do decide to use a curling iron to achieve this style pin curl each section after you are done curling to "set the curl." Doing this will ensure that the curls last longer. In fact, you can do this part the night before and sleep with a satin bonnet. Then you can touch up your curls and style it on wedding day.

*** I know you are probably going to do this anyway but, I would definately experiment with this a couple of times before wedding day.

Lovelylocs

Using a curling iron is going to give u a slightly different look than the picture IMO. I think that rollersetting would be better. Have u ever tried rollersetting with a fine toothed comb?