HELP! In desperate need of a good detangler

Mizani_Mrs

I am in desperate need of a good leave-in detangler. well I used up my last drop of John Frieda Relax texture correcting Serum which to me was the greatest detangler ever invented. I am soooo sad to hear that this product is discontinued. So anyways, today i washed my hair and my hair was soooooo hard to detangle. even the relaxed hair would continually tangle back up after i ran a comb thru it. My type is 4a/b and i'm almost 7 weeks post. before, i'd just get a touch-up, but i'm really trying to try this 'stretch' technique. can anyone recommend a good detangler with good slip? any product similiar to the John Frieda serum? I cant wash my hair until i have a product because it was too hard to detangle.....heeeeeelp!

cocopuff

Mizani_Mrs said:
I am in desperate need of a good leave-in detangler. well I used up my last drop of John Frieda Relax texture correcting Serum which to me was the greatest detangler ever invented. I am soooo sad to hear that this product is discontinued. So anyways, today i washed my hair and my hair was soooooo hard to detangle. even the relaxed hair would continually tangle back up after i ran a comb thru it. My type is 4a/b and i'm almost 7 weeks post. before, i'd just get a touch-up, but i'm really trying to try this 'stretch' technique. can anyone recommend a good detangler with good slip? any product similiar to the John Frieda serum? I cant wash my hair until i have a product because it was too hard to detangle.....heeeeeelp!

Well, I don't know about this serum, so I don't think I could recommend anything similar. I use Biolage Detangler and it works VERY well. I put it on my hair before or after I wash my hair and it rinses out of my hair effortlessly and leaves my hair soooo soft and with alot of slip, very easy to comb. I don't really have any serum-type products to recommend, but there is a product that I have used called Oyin Shine&Define Serum, which is actually more like a thin hair cream, but I like it though I haven't used it on wet hair before. Alot of people like Loreal Smooth and Shine Serum or Neutrogena Triple Moisture serum.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
There are so many detanglers on the market that I don't know where to begin. Here's a short list:
Paul Mitchell the Detangler
Biolage Detangling...
Daily Defense Tender Apple Conditioner (not a leave in)
Rusk has a detangling leave in I don't recall the name
Suave has one I believe

I know there are more but I can't think of any.

VelvetRain

Jewell said:
Best detangler I've found in years: Infusium 23 Leave-In

Be careful with this product it can cause some major dryness. I use motions leave in condition or vo5 detangle and shine.

Now you ladies have me wanting to try biolage's detangler.

Jewell

I have used it for about 9 years, and haven't had any dryness from it. I use the kind specifically designed for colored/permed/relaxed hair (blue label). I tried Motions Nourish Leave-In, and it left my hair a little tangly...I've also tried Allways 911, and it wasn't anything compared to Infusium. It gives my hair more slip than most products. I had also tried John Frieda's Relax Texture Correcting Serum (applied to soaking wet hair), which was even better than Infusium, but the line has been discontinued. :(

Last edited:

VelvetRain

Mizani_Mrs said:

Since when was this product discontinued? It has been ages since I had to purchase a new bottle.

VelvetRain

Jewell said:
I have used it for about 9 years, and haven't had any dryness from it. I use the kind specifically designed for colored/permed/relaxed hair (blue label). I tried Motions Nourish Leave-In, and it left my hair a little tangly...

It's interesting Jewell how some products can work really well for some and cause crappy results with others.

Jewell

michelle3147 said:
It's interesting Jewell how some products can work really well for some and cause crappy results with others.

:) I know...S-Curl works wonders for many ladies on this board, but I thinks its okay . I haven't been able to find that John Frieda Relax Serum anywhere. At the BX here, the products have gradually disappeared from the shelves, and haven't been restocked. Someone else on the board mentioned that they were being d/c'd...which is where I heard the shocking news, and then I saw the store I usually buy it from doesn't carry it anymore. I would go through a bottle in 2 weeks.

Neroli

The best detangler advice I can give is not a product, but the following:

WHATEVER product is used, put hair into four (or more) sections and use a seamless large tooth comb and gently detangle each section from ends to roots. Don't rush. Take time.

No matter WHAT product I use, the above works every time!

My favorite leave-ins are headress, giovanni direct & salerm 21.

Mizani_Mrs

Neroli said:
The best detangler advice I can give is not a product, but the following:

WHATEVER product is used, put hair into four (or more) sections and use a seamless large tooth comb and gently detangle each section from ends to roots. Don't rush. Take time.

No matter WHAT product I use, the above works every time!

My favorite leave-ins are headress, giovanni direct & salerm 21.

Yea, that's what is so frustrating because i parted my hair and was detangling it. but by the time i'd move on to the next section and comb it, then the first section was already back tangled again.... I've never been 7weeks post so i guess this is how my hair behaves....but i'm glad to know there are so many good detanglers on the market. I guess the PJ in me is looking forward to experimenting. BUT DAAANG! Why'd they have to discontinue my beloved JF relax serum? And yes it is discontinued, the stores no longer stock them and on JF's website the product line is no longer listed, a few months ago it was listed along with his other product lines. That product was my #1 staple. R.I.P. JF serum, R.I.P............ :(

and the funny thing is my newgrowth were sooo curly/straight from the milk treatment i made...i didnt have to detangle my roots. usually it's the newgrowth that gets out of hand.....

Neroli

Mizani_Mrs said:
but by the time i'd move on to the next section and comb it, then the first section was already back tangled again....

Try a loose braid after detanging each section . . .