Help! Living overseas with no hooded dryer!

lunabelle

Overseas ladies where do you find your hooded dryers? Are you ordering them online or what?

I'm currently living overseas(Israel) with my DH and won't be returning home until summer. I can't rollerset or deep condition and it sucks! I've asked around and nobody seems to be able to help.

Please tell me you have some recommendations!

Mrs. Verde

Have you tried a vendor who ships internationally? Is there a US military base nearby maybe they have dryer at the PC. For what it's worth, you can DC overnight your body heat works well.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I never deep condition with heat, it works well without it too. Just put a plastic cap on and wrap a towel around it - if you sleep that way it will definately get hot!

chasturner84

I never deep condition with heat, it works well without it too. Just put a plastic cap on and wrap a towel around it - if you sleep that way it will definately get hot!

I do this when I'm too lazy to sit under the dryer...it definitely does the trick :yep:

shunemite

pop a damp wash cloth in the microwave and put it over the shower cap, then a towel, and nighty nite til the next morning.

Nonie

Overseas ladies where do you find your hooded dryers? Are you ordering them online or what?

I'm currently living overseas(Israel) with my DH and won't be returning home until summer. I can't rollerset or deep condition and it sucks! I've asked around and nobody seems to be able to help.

Please tell me you have some recommendations!

Aww OP, I wish you'd known before you left. You could've gotten Curlformers. They don't need heat to set curls.

But I also don't DC with heat. I actually haven't done so since 2008. Just a cap and I go about doing chores, or workout.

ETA Can you have anything shipped to you? You can get the soft hood that converts handheld dryers into hood ones. You can also order Curlformers from Amazon.

Last edited:

lunabelle

Thanks ladies! I will try the plastic cap with a towel for deep conditioning next wash. I usually walk around the house for a couple of hours with it in but nothing seems to make it feel as silky as the dryer. Maybe it's all in my mind too;)

Nonie, I bought packs of the curlformers last year before I left and I must not have been doing them right because I pulled too much of my hair out with that darn hook! So yea those are still sitting at home collecting dust, but maybe I should give them another try.

I saw some of the UK ladies ordered a dryer from beautifullyyours.com or something like that but they only ship to the UK so that's out. I also wanted it when I rollerset with the magnetic rollers and it takes waaaayy too long to dry and I'm not one for sleeping in rollers so, the search continues...

JKSprite

Hey CrimsonVixon! I'm stationed here in Germany and I found one at the BX/PX (I'm Air Force). If you can't find it on base you may have to venture out on the economy and find one at a hair store or ask any American who's been there for a while the place to go for stuff like that! Mines is 100v so I always have to plug it up to a transformer which uses loadsssss of electricity so I normally just DC with my own body heat! Don't really notice a difference between the body heat and the hooded dryer :) Hope that helped.

Nonie

Nonie, I bought packs of the curlformers last year before I left and I must not have been doing them right because I pulled too much of my hair out with that darn hook! So yea those are still sitting at home collecting dust, but maybe I should give them another try.

You need to make sure you file your hook's seams so that they are smooth and then make sure you hair is wet and has plenty of slip. Really watch how the video carefully coz if you do it exactly as shown and remember to open up the CF before sliding your hair out, you should have a better experience. It takes practice and patience. I did them on my mom before I ever did them on myself. And every once in a while I'll do one incorrectly and have to redo even with the practice I had. So there is indeed a learning curve.