HELP! LONG BREAKING HAIRS...

growingbrown

I wash my hair as normal. I used Aveda Sap Moss Poo and Con. Soaked up the water with turban. Applied Aveda Elixer, avacoda butter, jojoba oil, and castor oil. Combed thru with wide tooth comb, then I saw a chunk of long and short broken hairs. There were about 50 :( ! What have I done!. The week before I clarified and added baking soda to the poo, washed and deep con w/ Aveda DR. Ladies, what happened and what should I do?

ETA:There's hairs were from the left side of my hair when I combed thru. None from the right and my hair was not soaking wet.

Last edited:
i think you may have used too many leave ins(leave in conditoner, a butter, a light oil and a heavy oil) and the products were too heavy for your hair and caused breakage. have you every tried applying the elixir and sealing with just one item? doing so may reduce the amount of breakage.

PrettyBrownEyes

growingbrown said:
I wash my hair as normal. I used Aveda Sap Moss Poo and Con. Soaked up the water with turban. Applied Aveda Elixer, avacoda butter, jojoba oil, and castor oil. Combed thru with wide tooth comb, then I saw a chunk of long and short broken hairs. There were about 50 :( ! What have I done!. The week before I clarified and added baking soda to the poo, washed and deep con w/ Aveda DR. Ladies, what happened and what should I do?

ETA:There's hairs were from the left side of my hair when I combed thru. None from the right and my hair was not soaking wet.

Is this your normal routine outside of the clarirying and DC the previous week?

The only thing I can think of is it seems like you used quite a few products after removing the turban and I was told before that could cause breakage. Maybe some of the other ladies will have another outlook.

Hi
Yes, that sounds like waaay to many products! Why don't you try just the elixir and seal with jojoba oil lightly.
Also, have you deep conditoined with heat after you clarified. I do this so, that the conditioner can penetrate. Then rinse with cool water. hth
Happy Hair growing!:)
hth

growingbrown

destiny616 said:
i think you may have used too many leave ins(leave in conditoner, a butter, a light oil and a heavy oil) and the products were too heavy for your hair and caused breakage. have you every tried applying the elixir and sealing with just one item? doing so may reduce the amount of breakage.

This was the first time in a while that I have used the Elixer. I normally use MB Conditioner w/ avacoda butter and jojoba oil. Could it be the Elixer? Thank you very much for you advice.

growingbrown

PrettyBrownEyes said:
Is this your normal routine outside of the clarirying and DC the previous week?

The only thing I can think of is it seems like you used quite a few products after removing the turban and I was told before that could cause breakage. Maybe some of the other ladies will have another outlook.

Yes, this is my normal routine. Sould I rewash my hair?

growingbrown

aliajp said:
Hi
Yes, that sounds like waaay to many products! Why don't you try just the elixir and seal with jojoba oil lightly.
Also, have you deep conditoined with heat after you clarified. I do this so, that the conditioner can penetrate. Then rinse with cool water. hth
Happy Hair growing!:)
hth

I made sure I deep conditioned when I clarified. I was afraid my hair would dry hard and break if I didn't load up on moisturizers. I have been adding several moisturizers to my hair at every wash. I am totally confused. Should I change my routine?

newflowers

It certainly sounds like a lot of product on your hair. Maybe a rewash is not a bad idea - you can start fresh. I cannot answer your last question as I do not use Aveda products, but it seems like you caused some extra stress to your hair on the left side where it broke. If the breakage were caused by the product, I think it would have broken all over.

Maybe you can try again with wash/con/leave-in/oil to seal and see what you think after using just small amounts of the last two.

growingbrown said:
This was the first time in a while that I have used the Elixer. I normally use MB Conditioner w/ avacoda butter and jojoba oil. Could it be the Elixer? Thank you very much for you advice.

i think it was the castor oil

FlawedBeauty

sounds like wayy too much product. my hairs are fine and if i put too much on them they will snap right outta my head, so i have learned only to use a moisturizer and seal. and not too much of wither because my hair cant handle it at all.

PinkSkates

I use all Aveda; and remember their products are super concentrated, so a little goes a long way. And I agree with the other ladies, sounds like a lot of products all at once. Our hair can only absorb so much at a time. And the remaining product just sits on top of the strands, which causes undue stress on the strands;which can cuase breakage. Also, the Aveda Elixir is an excellent leave-in, loaded with all kinds of plant teas and moisturizer, all you need is an oil to seal it onto your hair.

sunbasque said:
my hair is very fine and castor oil has never ever caused me any kind of breakage so i dont think it's the castor oil

i have fine hair also. castor oil is too heavy for my hair, it causes breakage for me.

growingbrown

Thanks ladies for your help. I end up washing my hair with Kenra MB and used Aproghee 2 minute Reconstructure for 5 minutes with a cap. I used Elucense conditioner as a leave in and sealed with coconut oil. I still got a few broken hairs but nothing like yesterday. I think it was the elixer plus all the moisture I added minus the castor oil because I use that on a regular basis and never had a problem. I thank you for taking the time out to offer your advice.