Help me make a bun!

SparklingFlame

I have seen various fotki albums with the how-to for the bun but I need help with how to get my natural, unstraitened hair into one. By that I mean I need to know if anybody puts one in without blowdrying thier hair first. Do you put the bun in you hair while 50% wet? Do you use a brush? What kind of products do you put on your hair? I am afraid shrinkage is going to cause me to fail at getting it in. I think a bun will be so pretty and its also a big change from my current protective style-twists. Any help will be welcomed. TIA!!!

SqrpioQutie

have you tried putting it into the bun right after you finish washing or co-washing?... while i'm not natural (or straight) i find that if i wait for my hair to dry at all, i can't get it into a bun easily... but if i do it while my hair is still dripping wet and add my product, i can achieve my bun (while using my boar bristle brush to smooth the curlies that try to pop out)... HTH!! :grin:

SparklingFlame

I tried it once with really small twits and can you say....DISASTER? That sounds like it might work better the way you described. THX!

sareca

My hair is texturized, but I do wear wet buns.

I have two methods for wet hair buns.

Method I
  • Wash and apply fav products (Jane Carter's nourish and shine is a must for me)
  • Detangle, comb back w/ a wide tooth comb, and band it.
  • Braid a loose braid and band the end. When I first started bunning there was only 2-3 inches of hair in the braid.
  • Put the end of the braid under first band and squeeze braid into a flat wide shape.
  • Apply a med-light gel to temple area (fingers only) and tie a scarf around it for 5-10 minutes (the car ride to work and a little heat from the heater work great for me).
Method II

Starts the same but I don't braid it. I just band the end of a loose ponytail, tuck under, and bobby pin.

Because I'm doing UBH I don't brush my hair at all so it's never smooth. My buns have a chunky look with all the new growth. It took me a while to get used to it.
http://images2.fotki.com/v292/photos/4/435236/3315481/000_0980-vi.jpg

loonatick

sareca said:
My hair is texturized, but I do wear wet buns.

I have two methods for wet hair buns.

Method I
  • Wash and apply fav products (Jane Carter's nourish and shine is a must for me)
  • Detangle, comb back w/ a wide tooth comb, and band it.
  • Braid a loose braid and band the end. When I first started bunning there was only 2-3 inches of hair in the braid.
  • Put the end of the braid under first band and squeeze braid into a flat wide shape.
  • Apply a med-light gel to temple area (fingers only) and tie a scarf around it for 5-10 minutes (the car ride to work and a little heat from the heater work great for me).
Method II

Starts the same but I don't braid it. I just band the end of a loose ponytail, tuck under, and bobby pin.

Because I'm doing UBH I don't brush my hair at all so it's never smooth. My buns have a chunky look with all the new growth. It took me a while to get used to it.
http://images2.fotki.com/v292/photos/4/435236/3315481/000_0980-vi.jpg

VERY nice bun:)
what gel do you use?

sareca

loonatick said:
VERY nice bun:)
what gel do you use?

Thanks.:D It's called Pro-<something??>. They sell it in almost every grocery store down here. I'll have to look at when I get home. But, I love this stuff. It's cheap, has great shine, and a soft hold.

KiSseS03

I'm still transitioning but I have a lot of natural new growth and the only way for me to wear a bun now is to do it soaking wet. After I rinse my conditioner I apply my NTM leave in (lots) and some Aloe Vera gel. I use a boar bristle brush to smooth my hair back.

This morning I tried putting my bun in while still in the shower and it came out great!

SparklingFlame

KiSseS03 said:
I'm still transitioning but I have a lot of natural new growth and the only way for me to wear a bun now is to do it soaking wet. After I rinse my conditioner I apply my NTM leave in (lots) and some Aloe Vera gel. I use a boar bristle brush to smooth my hair back.

This morning I tried putting my bun in while still in the shower and it came out great!
How long is your hair? Mine is about 6 or 7 inches unstreached and I am worried my hair is too short.

Healthb4Length

I'm not transitioning, I'm a super stretcher, right now I'm working with 4+ inches of NG and I basically do what Sareca does. I make sure that I put a lot of grease on my ends though but for me doing buns, I must do so on very wet hair.

SparklingFlame

So the consenses is: do the bun on wet hair. Thanks ladies. I think I will try to do a bun when these twists I am wearing get old, like in 3 weeks, maybe 2. I hope it works cuz if not, that means I will have to detangle my hair and I havent done that in 2 months now :eek: .

KiSseS03

KiSseS03 said:

Not sure what my length is inches, but the back is about APL and the shortest layer is neck length... HTH :lol: