Help me naturals who straighten to keep from reverting!

luckiestdestiny

What products do you use to help you keep from reverting. More importantly what steps do you take and in what order when you flat iron/press. Start from washing or conditioning and go from there please! And please don't leave out the products you use for that perfect flat iron/press! Thanks so much and please share. :yep:

I think it's all in the technique of flat ironing...some serums work better for certain people...but its not ALL in the serum IMO...

Here's what I do

I wash with whatever shampoo
Then I deep condition with Pantene R&N mixed with my coconut oil/EVOO/and Sweet Almond Oil Mixture
I seperate my hair into sections with my big comb and comb some Chi Silk Infusium(Or your fav serum) through each section.
I put some spray on heat protectant on my ends...I use V05 Heat defense.
The MOST important part is the blow drying. First I comb out my wet hair with the denman after it's combed out with the big comb
Then I hold each section of hair taught and blow out my hair 50%

THIS IS IMPORTANT
This part is where most of the straightening happens
Next I take my HUGE paddle brush and finish blowing out my hair. (Trust me, if you have combed out your hair properly you won't lose hair)

After that I rub A LITTLE Sweet Almond Oil into my hair for moisture and flat iron using a rat tail comb. By this point you will hardly need the small comb and it will glide through nicely. The flat ironing should take no time because the blow drying part does most of the work...HTH

Also, this lady has an EXCELLENT tutorial...so great that I actually contacted her to do my hair and she's done it twice. She has pictures so I hope they help! You don't need all those high end products though...just use trial and error and figure out what works for you. Just don't forget moisture!
http://public.fotki.com/patchouli85/flat-iron-tutorial-/

Last edited:
I tested a product out on my hair last night and I was amazed. It left my hair silky smooth and bouncy (I only did a few pieces in the front - risky, I know - but they turned out fine after I washed my hair again).

It was Fantasia's Frizz Buster Silky Smooth Straightening Creme.
I cowashed with Suave's Humectant Conditioner, then deep conditioned with Elasta QP's DPR-11. I airdryed my hair (I don't blowdry - too much heat unless I have nowhere to go and wait til the next day to flat iron), then decided to try to flat iron some pieces with the Fantasia creme.

I didn't slather a lot on my hair. I detangled first, of course. I dipped my pointer finger into the jar (half of a dime size) and applied it to small sections.

I waited about 2 minutes before I actually began my test run. It is not a watery solution, but I didn't want to take any chances burning my hair after applying the creme. I used the lowest temp and still got good results!

I have to stock up on this product. It alone is what made my hair soft and straight. It looked like I had relaxed my hair. I didn't have to do many passes to get it to lie straight either.

I won't get into the habit of flat ironing 'cause I like my natural hair too much to damage it. I just wanted to test the product out and to try something different. I am going to keep this product "in my back pocket" when I do flat iron my entire head in June for the Ovation (as an update; will post pics) challenge I am doing 'cause my hair is showing out! :yep:

I'm no longer natural, but I'm texlaxed with tons of curl pattern left in my hair. So when I was natural and now...I shampoo with Redken Smooth Down, Condition with Redken Smooth down and then use the Redken Smooth down serum. (My point is that Redken Smooth down really works to tame my hair). Then I apply heat protectant, I like Loreal's Straight Serum in the bright pink bottle. Then I detangle very gently and then I blow dry my hair straight. I usually stop when I'm halfway dry and detangle again very gently. Starting at the front of my head and working backwards to detangle and blowdry...then I flat iron using my sedu and a little more Redken Smooth down serum and I'm good for a 3-7 days.

Paul Mitchell Silky Straight Serum is the best as a final protectant against frizz and reverting to curly hair from straight. I hope this helps.

Hmmmm, almond oil sounds like it would help. It's also excellent for wrinkles. I hope there are more tips(need as many as possible!) because when I start flat ironing again I want to keep the look as long as possible without reverting so fast.

Hi OP this is my area of expertise. I've been natural and pressing my hair for almost a decade now. I'll be back with my tips and tricks.

I use a little bit of Garnier Fructis anti-frizz serum on each section after blow drying which is before flat ironing my hair. It works great depending on the amount of humdity. If the humidity is really high, nothing is stopping the humidity from frizzing my hair.

Samantha Jones has a thread about steaming and the benefits for naturals. A a result of intense hydration to the hair from the treatment it will no longer pick up water from the environment, therefore it will not revert.
Will look for links...hope this helps.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=220327

There is another thread where she posts pics of her steam and straighten results on her natural hair.

Last edited:
I roller set on mesh rollers using lotta body setting lotion (diluted with 1 part lottabody, 3 parts water). I dry under my soft bonnet ion dryer. Then I flat iron with fantasia IC straightening serum (not sure exactly what it's called but I have tried the ones in the pink and blue bottles- blue is for color treated) and the spray on polisher. Last time I tried CHI silk infusion, it was okay. Anway, this lasts for almost two weeks but I usually wash after 1. I rap it at night and use my ion hot rollers ocassionally if I want it curled. Oh by the way, I always use my last conditioner as Pantene Extra Liso. This seems to be a factor. Between the setting lotion and the extra Liso, I think that helps keep it from reverting and it does not way my hair down or make it hard. Oh forgot to add that I pre-poo with Olive oil and leave it on for as long as I can.

These are great tips guys. Please keep 'em coming. Maybe we can help all naturals who want to try something different w/ occasional straight styles to keep their style from reverting as long as possible!

Um... this may be a dumb question, but what do you do when you shower? :perplexed I imagine that wrapping something like a scarf over your hair or wearing a shower cap would cause your head to sweat. :ohwell: Please don't tell me I'll need to shower in cold water...

Um... this may be a dumb question, but what do you do when you shower? :perplexed I imagine that wrapping something like a scarf over your hair or wearing a shower cap would cause your head to sweat. :ohwell: Please don't tell me I'll need to shower in cold water...

I put my hair up and take tepid/warm baths when my hair is pressed

This is what I do.

• Pre Poo......................Coconut & Lime... 2 hours to overnight - Some use eggs in a moisture condish for this step as well.
  • Shampoo
  • Post Poo... this is important..... I use a Moisturizing conditioner with STEAM. The STEAM TREATMENT infuses moisture into the hair shaft. 1 hour
  • detangle, rinse. Add leave ins...
  • Use Sabino Moisture Block. IT WORKS.
This next step is different for many..........

• I band my hair in sections. I do a rollerset, or twist.
  • Allow to dry.... However - overnight or under the dryer.
Flat iron....In the smallest parts.

Enjoy....:yep:

I guess I'm really old school. Been natural for 20 years and kept hair 1 inch all around. length is now somewhere between shoulder and APL. I ROLLERSET and use as few a products as possible. I do believe that steam treatments or moisture level is the key to stop hair from reverting/plus the fewest products.

I've found that adding a bunch a stuff to my hair coats the hair shaft making it feel drier, less bouncy and I feel the need to wash/rinse/something? I also can't have regimen that requires a lot of steps because the rest of my body (besides my hair) needs attention also.

I currently rollerset about every 4 days to maintain moisture balance. My NEW love...believe it or not is WEN FIG. This is my first time mentioning because I wanted to try it at least 3 times before singing it praises. I use WEN as directed, followed by AO Honeysuckle Rose. To use or not use a leave-in is your choice...past(Giovanni Direct), now pea size of WEN to each of four sections to hair.

The next is the important step for my hair. I use a wrapping lotion (any that gives a soft set, such as Jane's Carter or Profectiv's Olive Oil--lottabody is no-no for me!)...when I rollerset I lift the hair STRAIGHT UP (Vertical to head) and start the roll--this gives me a very tight rollerset. I have no need if rolled correctly to flat iron or blow dry roots. ( I have no idea where blow dryer is hiding!?) I've used Sabino twice and it really smooth my ends but I didn't like on the rest of the length--will have to experiment more by just using on ends.

After rollersetting and not before, I apply a mixture of coconut oil/castor oil/AVOCADO Oil to hair...brushing/combing it through with small rattail comb. I always place hair is a high ponytail to sleep and shower (I don't use head scarfs or anything). In the shower, I use a shower cap lined with a terry cloth material. I take it off immediately upon exiting shower so as not to allow the steam and moisture get underneath and allow what moisture that may have built to airdry.

My hair never reverts...it will get straighter due to oil mixture. To be 100% truthful, I have never sweated in my hair (even as marathon runner) and I have very kinky-curly(4 something) hair.

Did I mention that I love WEN. I've tried co-washing with my own mixture of conditioners, but the build up was too much. I'm embarrassed to admit that I actual bought a informerical product. I wondering if it will stop working/improving the condition of my hair?

Last edited:
What products do you use to help you keep from reverting. More importantly what steps do you take and in what order when you flat iron/press. Start from washing or conditioning and go from there please! And please don't leave out the products you use for that perfect flat iron/press! Thanks so much and please share. :yep:

I hope the SMB is keeping your hair from reverting.

Back