HELP! Need ApHogee Protein Advice!

MissYocairis

I just did an ApHogee treatment last Thursday for the first time. I followed w/deep conditioning. Since then, I've done protective styling, low manipulation and tried to keep it moist. But, I still feel that my hair may have been weakened on the ends somehow by the ApHogee. I see little broken pieces a bit more than I am used to.

I'm concerned. How can I nurse my strands back to health if they have been damaged by that treatment? Anyone? I will DIE if I lose length from this! :(

Shaniquah

Wish I could give you advice...I felt the same way about Aphogee a few years ago when I first used it :( . Haven't done it since. Maybe we did something wrong :confused:

MissYocairis

Shaniquah said:
Wish I could give you advice...I felt the same way about Aphogee a few years ago when I first used it :( . Haven't done it since. Maybe we did something wrong :confused:

wow. I'm disappointed. I was so careful. I really was. And, I deep conditioned like nobody's business. Maybe certain hair just doesn't like it? Can you share what happened with your experience to the best of your recollection? And, did you have a lot of breakage or just a little?

Shaniquah

What I remember is, once I washed it out, my hair was pretty dry and I didn't like the way it felt once I roller set it. I don't remember conditioning my hair after though, maybe that would have made a difference. Anyhow, I've been scared to use it since. Hopefully other ladies who use it will chime in because they usually have fantastic results with it.

Mizani_Mrs

I have a strong feeling that you used this heavy protein product at the wrong time. What I mean is, did you apply another protein trtmnt a week/ 2weeks or so before this aphogee trtmnt? The protein was too strong for your hair and it is causing breakage. Next time, i would suggest to mix in a lil oil and moist cond when you do this treatment. and ONLY do it when you are sure your hair needs it. And don't forget to wash with shampoo AND moist cond after the treatment...I failed to do this a few times and it lead to me having hard hair. Try using it with a shower cap if you don't want the hardening effect. If the 2nd time it doesn't work for you...you can switch to Nexxus emergencee. I switched and I can use it without fear... I don't think I'd ever airdry after using such an intense treatment. It penetrates the hair shaft, so i'd always blow dry to ensure that the hairshaft is layed back smoothly...this prevents my ends from breaking. JMHO..

MissYocairis

goldensensation said:
What deep conditioner did you follow it up with?

I washed once with a moisturizing poo, then did Nexxus Ensure (ph balancing cond for 3 min). Then, I did a 10 en 1, silicone mix, evoo mix and I think I threw a little suave cheap conditioner in there. I heated it up....wore it for hours, covered it with a cap and a scarf and waited patiently. Afterwards, I my salerm 21 as a leave in and I airdried it in a bun. Since then, I've been very low manipulation. Just at night to add more moisture and I've worn a scarf everynight to bed. I'm getting these little breaking hairs that I never used to get before. My hair wasn't weak. I'd just never had a hardcore protein and I thought maybe it would step up my hair game a bit. :(

Last edited:

MissYocairis

Mizani_Mrs said:
I have a strong feeling that you used this heavy protein product at the wrong time. What I mean is, did you apply another protein trtmnt a week/ 2weeks or so before this aphogee trtmnt? The protein was too strong for your hair and it is causing breakage. Next time, i would suggest to mix in a lil oil and moist cond when you do this treatment. and ONLY do it when you are sure your hair needs it. And don't forget to wash with shampoo AND moist cond after the treatment...I failed to do this a few times and it lead to me having hard hair. Try using it with a shower cap if you don't want the hardening effect. If the 2nd time it doesn't work for you...you can switch to Nexxus emergencee. I switched and I can use it without fear... I don't think I'd ever airdry after using such an intense treatment. It penetrates the hair shaft, so i'd always blow dry to ensure that the hairshaft is layed back smoothly...this prevents my ends from breaking. JMHO..

This never would have occurred to me. In fact, I was afraid to blowdry because I thought it would be too harsh. And, you are right, I consistently do mild protein regularly with Keraphix and also I use aphogee keratin & green tea restructurer regularly. (after poos) Maybe my hair didn't need it? And, I shouldn't have airdried. (which I did).

What should I do now? Should I wash and blowdry?

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Mizani_Mrs said:

Do you mean during the process? I've used ApHogee a few times, and if I remember correctly the instructions emphasize not to use a plastic cap whilst the treatment is in the drying process??? Whenever I use it I always follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner such as ApHogee Moisturizing Conditioner (the one they recommend on the instructions) or Humectress, which is very similar to theirs. I don't usually mess any other DC after an ApHogee session; I'm too afraid they may not be moisturizing enough. Perhaps you could perform a series of moisturizing DC over a couple of weeks and monitor the strength of your hair after each one? I dunno, just suggesting. Good luck though CantBeCopied!!

MizaniMami

I think it is important to only use aphogee when it is needed.

Did you really need to use aphogee? Also did you deep conditioner have protein in it?

MissYocairis

MizaniMami said:
I think it is important to only use aphogee when it is needed.

Did you really need to use aphogee? Also did you deep conditioner have protein in it?

No. Honestly, I think I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve. My hair was already healthy. In fact, a friend of mine, who used to do hair, asked me "why are you putting an ApHogee in when your hair is already healthy?" And, I shrugged her off because she doesn't frequent LHCF. What have I DONE?!?! :(

I don't know, does Miss Keyes 10 en 1 or Silicon Mix have protein?

princesmich

Shaniquah said:
What I remember is, once I washed it out, my hair was pretty dry and I didn't like the way it felt once I roller set it. I don't remember conditioning my hair after though, maybe that would have made a difference. Anyhow, I've been scared to use it since. Hopefully other ladies who use it will chime in because they usually have fantastic results with it.

You have to condition after Aphogee, that's the reason it didn't work, I used 10-en 1 after Aphogee, my hair was soft and shiny

Mizani_Mrs

blac_quarian said:
Do you mean during the process? I've used ApHogee a few times, and if I remember correctly the instructions emphasize not to use a plastic cap whilst the treatment is in the drying process??? Whenever I use it I always follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner such as ApHogee Moisturizing Conditioner (the one they recommend on the instructions) or Humectress, which is very similar to theirs. I don't usually mess any other DC after an ApHogee session; I'm too afraid they may not be moisturizing enough. Perhaps you could perform a series of moisturizing DC over a couple of weeks and monitor the strength of your hair after each one? I dunno, just suggesting. Good luck though CantBeCopied!!

To CantBeCopied: what should you do now? Just my suggestion, if it were my hair... I'd slather alot of oil and conditioner on my hair and wear it in a ponytail/bun until I had time to wash (about 1-3 days). On wash day- do a moisturizing deep cond (my fave is hummectress with WGO). blowdry or dome dry with leave ins and a dab of jojoba oil. My hair feels back to normal.

princesmich

blac_quarian said:
Do you mean during the process? I've used ApHogee a few times, and if I remember correctly the instructions emphasize not to use a plastic cap whilst the treatment is in the drying process??? !!

that's right the instructions do say do not use a plastic cap.

MissYocairis

Mizani_Mrs said:
To CantBeCopied: what should you do now? Just my suggestion, if it were my hair... I'd slather alot of oil and conditioner on my hair and wear it in a ponytail/bun until I had time to wash (about 1-3 days). On wash day- do a moisturizing deep cond (my fave is hummectress with WGO). blowdry or dome dry with leave ins and a dab of jojoba oil. My hair feels back to normal.

Hey, Mizani, I have both WGO and Humectress at home. Tell me, the WGO, does it break down and mix well with the WGO? It seems so thick. And, what about Salerm as my leave in? It has some mild protein in it, I think but it's all I've ever used. What leave in do you use?

Mizani_Mrs

princesmich said:
that's right the instructions do say do not use a plastic cap.

to blac: sorry my reply got deleted. Well the reason why i said that is... in my opinion, although the instructions say 'don't use a cap while under dryer, I have found that if you use a cap, the results aren't as EXTREME. My hair is strong, yet I don't get super hard hair. And i'm not as frightened to use the apoghee trtmnt. This suggestion was originally posted by someone else and I gave it a try and it worked for my hair as well...try searching for the post to see other peoples results. And the same goes for Emergencee, the instructions say to use a cap, but if you are in need of an extreme protein (like after a relaxer) then some suggested to not use the cap. So it all depends on what you hair needs, an extreme hardened protein or just your monthly protein maintenance. JMO...

MizaniMami

CantBeCopied said:
No. Honestly, I think I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve. My hair was already healthy. In fact, a friend of mine, who used to do hair, asked me "why are you putting an ApHogee in when your hair is already healthy?" And, I shrugged her off because she doesn't frequent LHCF. What have I DONE?!?! :(

I don't know, does Miss Keyes 10 en 1 or Silicon Mix have protein?

That's the thing, I wouldn't use it unless your hair really needed it. It sounds like you hair didn't need it at all. I would do a very moisturizing DC as soon as possible with heat, under a heat cap. Make sure you leave the protein alone for a while.