Help! Newbie: Relaxer transitioning to Natural or Texturizer

adebow

My last relaxer was 6 weeks ago. My hair is currently shoulder length and grows well with a relaxer. Since I've had a relaxer for the last 25 years (I'm only 37), I wanted to see my hair in it's natural state. I've been reading suggestions from LHCF for the last year and have tried some of the suggestions. I've been using Evoo, castor oil, coconut oil, glycerin, etc and I love the way my new growth feels much softer than usual. I've been using the flat iron to straighten my new growth (as a newbie, I'm limited with hair styles since I'm only used to styling straight hair). However, my actual hair feels very stiff. I have no body to my hair at all. I can deal with the "poofiness" of my new growth, but I really don't like lifeless and limp hair. I'm wondering if natural is for me or should I consider using a texturizer. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :wallbash:

TaurusAngel

bumping. I've been thinking of texlaxing lately myself. I'm not sure about going natural, but then again, you never know.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
in my experience texturizer made my hair really dry.like UNBELIEVABLY and UNNATURALLY dry. nothing moisturized it and resulted in alot of breakage. it got better over time but i lost quite a bit of hair.IMO texturized hair isnt similar to natural hair at all and i think its better to transition to natural first before trying the texturized route.

again this is just my opinion/experience.

adebow

in my experience texturizer made my hair really dry.like UNBELIEVABLY and UNNATURALLY dry. nothing moisturized it and resulted in alot of breakage. it got better over time but i lost quite a bit of hair.IMO texturized hair isnt similar to natural hair at all and i think its better to transition to natural first before trying the texturized route.

Your opinion and experiences are definitely welcomed.

adebow

Come on ladies, I need help! I've already scheduled my appointment for a relaxer tomorrow and I really don't want to go that route. My goal is to go natural, however, I can't take it. What tips do you have for flat ironing, twist outs, braid outs? I'll take any suggestion...I just need your help. I can't take limp hair with no movement...

kblc06

Come on ladies, I need help! I've already scheduled my appointment for a relaxer tomorrow and I really don't want to go that route. My goal is to go natural, however, I can't take it. What tips do you have for flat ironing, twist outs, braid outs? I'll take any suggestion...I just need your help. I can't take limp hair with no movement...

You can try rollersetting for a different look. My twist/braid-outs didn't start looking good (to me) until I was a little past shoulder length, but I would suggest flat twisting or cornrowing in large plaits for a more uniform effect. I would also let the new growth get a little bit longer because the first couple of inches may be scab hair due to relaxer deposit/or residue. My hair now, feels and behaves nothing like it did when I first started growing it out over 3 years ago ( I transitioned for about 2 years)

There are TONS OF THREADS on flat ironing and heat straightening natural hair, just do a simple search for "flat-ironing natural hair". Many people have posted their regimens and even have some tutorials (ladylibra has one that comes to mind-her video is posted on youtube under her screen name)

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

I know it's really hard transitioning... and scab hair is real. I remember when I started transitioning, my new growth was like 2c. I was like, hey, I got "good hair"! :grin: :lachen:Well, my hair is 4a/3c... that first scab hair is nothing like your real texture will be. So don't get too wrapped up in the problems of this hair... it won't always be like this!

If you really dont' want to relax, don't do it. I've BC'd 3 times due to relaxing in a weak moment, and then regretting it later.

Transitioning is not easy. Your hair won't do what you want it to do all the time, and it won't look like you want all the time either. It might be easier on you to do a protective style during the first leg of your transition... maybe Crown & Glory braids, or a full-head sew-in. If you do that for a few months, you might feel differently about the whole situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

adebow

Thanks ladies. I really appreciate your encouragement and suggestions. I think your words provided me what I really needed...thanks :woot:

momi

Try rollersets - at this point in your transition if the set is done with the right tension on the roller it should straighten out nicely. I flat-ironed for the first 6 months of my transition.

Just make sure your hair is moisturized and you will be fine.

FAMUDva

Try roller setting, braid/ twist outs, and other hair styles.

For me, I've tried transitioning 2 x... the 1st time, I "texurized" at month 7 and regreted it! Now, I'm 10 months into a new transition and LOVE it! It's so much eaiser this time! Partly because I've learned alot about keeping my hair moisterized. The only issue I've had was a recent trip to the stylist that has gotten a couple of strands COMPLETELY straight (I now fully believe in heat damage :()

At any rate, I'm not so worried about the heat damage of a couple of strands because I know how to prevent it in the future and don't plan to finish my transition until Dec 09.

When I flat iron at home I have long term heat damage problems. I DC with steam treatment BEFORE I straighten at home and I use Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum as a protectant as well as the Redkin thermal spray. I try not to use many products when I'm planning to wear my hair down and straightened and always have lots of body (even when I flat iron myself).

Good luck to you!

bravenewgirl87

DO NOT TEXTURIZE WITHOUT CUTTING OFF THE RELAXED ENDS!

You probably need a stronger DC and leave-in. Try Lacio or AG Fast Food.

pri

I'm transitioning as well...I'm 8 weeks post and at times I feel like texlaxing myself too...but then I wake up and realize that for me it's time I have my natural hair now. I've been relaxed for 20+ years and as the years go by my hair is only getting worse which is the main reason I decided to transition. If you don't want to relax then don't do it! It's going to take patience and alot of tlc which you are definitelt capable of..so..don't worry you WILL be able to go the natural route. Rollersetting,twist outs, buns are all good...just make sure to keep your moisturizing going. All the best!

Melissa-jane

This is my experience too

glamazon386

I know it's really hard transitioning... and scab hair is real. I remember when I started transitioning, my new growth was like 2c. I was like, hey, I got "good hair"! :grin: :lachen:Well, my hair is 4a/3c... that first scab hair is nothing like your real texture will be. So don't get too wrapped up in the problems of this hair... it won't always be like this!

If you really dont' want to relax, don't do it. I've BC'd 3 times due to relaxing in a weak moment, and then regretting it later.

Transitioning is not easy. Your hair won't do what you want it to do all the time, and it won't look like you want all the time either. It might be easier on you to do a protective style during the first leg of your transition... maybe Crown & Glory braids, or a full-head sew-in. If you do that for a few months, you might feel differently about the whole situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Scab hair is usually rough dry 4b hair. I had waves as new growth too before it turned to curls. I think that's just because you don't have enough new growth for the whole curl to form yet. I noticed my hair did this when I was relaxed as a teenager too.

isawstars

I'm transitioning to texlaxed from relaxed. I only have an inch or two of relaxed ends left. Transitioning was very easy for me. The hardest part was when I stretched because of all the different textures.... In example I currently have 3 inches of NG, 80% texlaxed, and 20% relaxed hair. I just make sure I moisturize all the time. So far I like being texlaxed because I've noticed my hair is a lot stronger when I do the elasticity test.