HELP!!! No Heat & Buns Is Breaking My Hair! I Really Don't Know What to Do!!

wyldcurlz

I really don't know what to do with my hair. I'm trying to grow it from BSL to MBL by not using heat and bunning, but its making my hair knot and tangle and the ends are breaking off!! I'm beginning to think I was better off when I was getting it flat-ironed at the salon every week (but then the heat damaged it.) I'm getting those tiny fairy-knots (or pixie knots) and even big knots and clumps! If I touch my hair, strands are always coming out - in what feels like clumps! Even though I keep my hair and ends moisturized (though I've been kinda slacking the last few days) the ends are ratty.

What do I need to do to make this bunning successfully grow my hair? (it's bad enough that I'm dealing with my Mom telling me that the buns are unflattering and matronly on me, now my ends are brittle, knotted and breaking?!?!?!)

I need some IMMEDIATE hair therapy! I really don't know what to do!

I'm not sure what your normal regimen is but it would be helpful. As for me, I used to have this problem. What did help me was:

• Definitely detangling in the shower after DC
  • Using porosity control (after DC w/ heat) as a final rinse b/c is seal cuticles
  • Airdry using scarf method and rollerset only the back of my hair to ensure ends would dry smooth, then finger position hair into a bun
I'm sure we could assist further with a complete regimen.

Last edited:
bunning might not be for you..and even though heat damaged it, you can still get your hair flat ironed...just not every week or so...or flat iron it one week and wear it straight and the next week do a protective style like bunning or change the type of bun you do...HTH

I don't what it is, but bunning was never for me. My ends would break off every time I took my hair out of a bun. It didn't matter how much I moisturized my ends or how loose or tight the bun was.

It sounds like you're doing buns on wet hair. After you wash you should stretch your hair, either in braids or by blowdrying on cool. Then do your buns. That should cut down the tangles/knots and help you keep your hair moisturized.

For immediate hair therapy and if your hair is still breaking or shedding, you may want to try Motions CPR or Aphogee reconstucturing treatment to stop the breakage. Apply it to the hair especially the ends and sit under the dryer for a good 20-30 min and afterwards use a detangling conditioner to get rid of the tangles. And if your ends look damaged, try dusting your ends to remove any unwanted ends. If you've been using too much protein, and not moisturizing that could be the culprit or vice versa when manipulating your hair into a bun. I always try to keep a balance between the two, but its hard when you just want to use your favorite products..(I'm guilty of that one) but anytime I feel my hair is damaged, I go back to the basics and use a tube of Fermodyl or a little of Infusium 23 for damaged hair. And yes, bunning is not for everyone, I hope this helps out a little bit...

Last edited:
You need more protein in your regime. I been baggie bunning for 15 months so I know in order to be successful you have to keep your hair balance. Use some porosity control, and incorporate protein atleast 2 times a month.

Maybe bunning isn't for you. Try alternating weeks you get your hair flat ironed. To reduce the heat damagE. Or tr getting roller sets. It's less heat. Versus blowdrying the flat ironing

Are you detangling before you bun your hair. I do a thorough detangle with my large tooth comb, then I use the denman to get any shed hairs not caught with the comb. I apply a leave-in conditioner to my hair, add shea butter to the ends, then bun it up.

Make sure your bun isn't too tight. If you're not sealing your ends with some type of oil or butter, try that to see if it works. If bunning isn't for you then I'd stop immediately. Or maybe try braiding, then bunning. That way your wet hair won't knot up on itself.

HTH!

bunning might not be for you..and even though heat damaged it, you can still get your hair flat ironed...just not every week or so...or flat iron it one week and wear it straight and the next week do a protective style like bunning or change the type of bun you do...HTH

I'm beginning to think that bunning may not be for me. Maybe roller sets or back to flat-ironing...only problem is i hate doing my hair...only to sweat it out during my weekday workouts. But i'm gonna definitely look into it!
maybe you should do ponytail rollersets and tuck the ends
I never thought about ponytail rollersets. I may hafta look into that...one of our members (or former members?) Pokohontas has a great fotki detailing how to do them. I'll look into that as well.
It sounds like you're doing buns on wet hair. After you wash you should stretch your hair, either in braids or by blowdrying on cool. Then do your buns. That should cut down the tangles/knots and help you keep your hair moisturized.
I have bunned on damp hair, but right now i'm doing it to dry hair. That's the part that confuses me! And like BostonMaria suggested, I was detangling my hair (when wet and loaded with condish) and putting something on the ends before I bunned it - though I usually saved moisturizing AND sealing for nighttime. I'm really lost. I wanna hide my hair and let it GROW!!! i'm soo jealous seeing all these girls get great growth and I'm stuck in a BSL holding pattern and getting worse, it seems. Any other ideas to help me figure this thing out? I'll definitely try MORE moisturizing (is Giovanni Leave-In a good moisturizer?) - if that doesn't work - maybe more protein?? If not, then I'm out of the buns -they look bad on me anyway.

BostonMaria said:
Are you detangling before you bun your hair. I do a thorough detangle with my large tooth comb, then I use the denman to get any shed hairs not caught with the comb. I apply a leave-in conditioner to my hair, add shea butter to the ends, then bun it up.

Back