Damp Buns, Damaged Ends, Excessive Shedding

wyldcurlz

I'm damp bunning my hair leaving some conditioner on it. But, I've noticed that, once my hair dries the ends are ratty and rough. The ends clump and get tangled and its one big mess. There's always LOTS of shedding and my hair feels a little rough to the touch.

Soo...what should I do? I want to keep with the damp buns as I go for MB-length, and try to thicken my hair back up. But...this isn't working. Do I have to do something different?

I'm using a variety of conditioners in my hair depending on the day. Either Nexxus Headdress, Mixed Chicks or Suave Tea Therapy.

msa

Damp/wet bunning doesn't really work for me. My ends feel much better when I bun on already stretched, dry hair.

I'm sure your shedding is just normal, so don't worry about that. As long as you're not seeing bald spots, you're fine. It's average to shed 50-100 hairs per day.

MrsSmitty77

My hair also hates wet bunning - so I apply a creamy leave-in and air dry to about 80% then apply water-based moisturizer, seal hair with oil or serum and bun.

Muse

This happened to me so I just started braiding my hair first and then wrapping it around into a bun. The braid keeps my ends in tact and I find it holds the moisture in even better!

shunemite

Listen to your hair.......... is what I know. What works for one person's hair may not necessarily work for yours.

CleverGypsy

My hair does not like wet buns either. It always dries funny, never soft. I find it's much better for me to 2 strand twist/ braid/curlformers/or flexi-rod my hair to air-dry. Wash n gos in warmer weather. Bunning only works on my hair when it's already dry.

Jazala

I'm damp bunning my hair leaving some conditioner on it. But, I've noticed that, once my hair dries the ends are ratty and rough. The ends clump and get tangled and its one big mess. There's always LOTS of shedding and my hair feels a little rough to the touch.

Soo...what should I do? I want to keep with the damp buns as I go for MB-length, and try to thicken my hair back up. But...this isn't working. Do I have to do something different?

I'm using a variety of conditioners in my hair depending on the day. Either Nexxus Headdress, Mixed Chicks or Suave Tea Therapy.

Sounds like your hair doesn't like the wet bunning and whatever you are using is keeping your cuticles raised (velcro ends).

Everything Zen

I always make sure to tuck the ends of my hair within my braids or some way that keeps them moist and covered. That's the only way air drying works for me. :yep:

Summer79

Damp/wet bunning doesn't really work for me. My ends feel much better when I bun on already stretched, dry hair.

I'm sure your shedding is just normal, so don't worry about that. As long as you're not seeing bald spots, you're fine. It's average to shed 50-100 hairs per day.

ITA :yep: Dry stretched hair works best for me also. The wet/damp bun set me back a little last year.

SherylsTresses

Airdrying with braids, just hanging out, or into a bun doesn't seem to work for me either. :nono: My ends become dry and brittle and begin to shed. I've used oil-based and water-based moisturizers, oils, and included porosity control into my regimen. Now airdrying a rollerset is awesome for my hair! Otherwise, my ends just do not give. :nono:

I dunno. :perplexed

SherylsTresses

Maybe you should use the scarf method and rollerset only the back. Then airdry and finger position into a bun. That works very well for me! :yep::yep::yep::yep:

Iluvsmuhgrass

My hair HATES wet bunning. I air-dry with a scarf in braided/twisted pigtails with leave-ins and seal with coconut oil. When it's dry I manipulate the back into a bun or whatever style I need. :yep:

BlondeByDesire

This happened to me so I just started braiding my hair first and then wrapping it around into a bun. The braid keeps my ends in tact and I find it holds the moisture in even better!

This is exactly what I do as well. I'll plait the pony tail and in the morning secure with seemless band and wrap plait around to form a bun. Works great and ends are tangle free. I add shea butter to the ends.