Help pls. - Friend w/fine hair & damage

OnceUponAtime

My friend has relaxed hair. She tries to stretch between touch ups and normally wears sew-in weaves for a couple of months, then she takes a break and slicks her hair back into a phony pony. Her staple products are Surge 14 and MTG, both of which she uses sparingly.

She took out her sew-in this past weekend and has terrible breakage in many areas, but one area of surprising growth/retention.

Because my hair is opposite of hers, I'm not sure what to recommend. She seems to be doing most things right.

Any suggestions?

• How bad is the damage?
  • What's her hair type?
  • What's her current hair care routine?
  • What products is she using?

As a thin haired gal I find that weaves can do a lot of damage to our hair especially if it is relaxed. The thread used for weaving alone can do terrible damage to our hair. After two disasters I decided to never weave again. The first time my hair dreaded so badly I had to cut off 12 inches and the next time the thinning made me look like an old man begging for a comb over. Although my length has returned and surpassed, the thickness improved, but it is taking forever to turn to it's former state. Remember, the hair is relaxed, braided, and weaved. The three no-no's for fine hair. One of my weaves was even on natural hair and still, major thinning. I've found much more success wearing protective styles like loose buns, and french rolls.

Simplifying is best for our hair, that's when I retained major length. I only wash and deep condition weekly, more than that I experience thinning. Once I
rinse my conditioner I use a strengthening leave-in. I finish up with a end sealer like Tigi Bed Head Split End Mender. I use a protein builder once every 3 weeks. Damp dry, apply a light coat of oil and style in a bun, that's it. My hair has improved 150% with a simplified routine. HTH

Last edited:
joyous said:
As a thin haired gal I find that weaves can do a lot of damage to our hair especially if it is relaxed. The thread used for weaving alone can do terrible damage to our hair.
I have fine hair and have never had a weave or braids for those very reasons. It's best (for me anyway) to stick to loose buns and updos.

joyous said:
and the next time the thinning made me look like an old man begging for a comb over.

Ughh! I had a similar experience. :cry:

MissBiss said:
I have fine hair and have never had a weave or braids for those very reasons. It's best (for me anyway) to stick to loose buns and updos.

It's best for me too.

I've tried weaves and braids before, but they break my hair even when I made the extra effort to keep my own hair moisturized.

MissBiss said:
  • How bad is the damage?
  • What's her hair type?
  • What's her current hair care routine?
  • What products is she using?

She is 4a, breakage to front and sides, washes hair once a week/sometimes every other week, and minimal product usage (MTG, Surge 14).

I found out today that she had not maintained a routine for moisture. I think that may be the #1 culprit. I beginning to think that she didn't have enough elasticity to support the sew-in. She barely used the Surge and only used small amounts of MTG once or twice a week.

I have some ideas for moisture, but I have dense, thick hair. So, I don't want to suggest something for her that may be overkill for fine hair.

For regular moisturizing, I got really good results with Mizani H2O Rose Conditioning Moisturizer. Then I switched to ORS Carrot Oil initially because it is more widely available. Just use a small amount of either of those products every day and they don't weigh hair down at all.

The carrot oil has a smell that some might find unpleasant, so I put some in a smaller jar and mix with a few drops of ylang ylang. Also, the carrot oil has fewer artificial ingredients than the H2O Rose. I really love my ORS Carrot Oil and probably mention it in everyone of my posts. LOL

As mentioned above, your friend might want to consider giving up weaves. If her hair is above shoulder length, protective styles may not really be necessary unless she's trying to stretch her relaxer, in which case maybe another fine-haired 4A can advise on that issue.

When I had a chin-length bob, René Furterer serums really gave my growth a boost. Your friend could try that product line. The serums are expensive but definitely worth it.

I've also found that weekly deep conditioning with ORS Hair Mayonnaise - a light protein - has been more effective at strengthening my hair than the once-every-six-weeks Aphogee treatment. I just add oil to the mayo to make it more moisturizing. Castor oil, monoï, shea butter, and sweet almond oil are all great for that.

HTH and good luck to your friend!

Thanks so much ladies. Excellent advice! I know my friend will be excited to try some of the suggestions. She's open minded, but she's still working on her patience. :look: We happen to share that problem. :lol:

Back