Help!! They're everywhere!!!!!

FtrDrO

I don't know what to do y'all. I'm sitting here doing a search and destroy and I swear I've cut so many of my strands due to these mid strand splits!! They're all over my hair!!! :wallbash:

I feel like I'm losing a lot of my progress this way. I don't know if I should just go ahead and cut all of my hair down, or continue to do the search and destroy which is taking forever. They are mostly in the last 2-3 inches of the strands which makes me wonder if they are a result of earlier practices when I was transitioning or early in my natural journey, or if they are a result of more recent things such as detangling, wearing puffs, etc. I usually try to keep my hair protected for the most part though and I stopped using combs very often and detangling on soaking wet hair this year because they were really stressing my fine strands. But earlier in my journey I wore more fros and puffs and detangled on wet hair. I don't know what to do ......:sad:

Any advice?

Aviah

I don't know what to do y'all. I'm sitting here doing a search and destroy and I swear I've cut so many of my strands due to these mid strand splits!! They're all over my hair!!! :wallbash:

I feel like I'm losing a lot of my progress this way. I don't know if I should just go ahead and cut all of my hair down, or continue to do the search and destroy which is taking forever. They are mostly in the last 2-3 inches of the strands which makes me wonder if they are a result of earlier practices when I was transitioning or early in my natural journey, or if they are a result of more recent things such as detangling, wearing puffs, etc. I usually try to keep my hair protected for the most part though and I stopped using combs very often and detangling on soaking wet hair this year because they were really stressing my fine strands. But earlier in my journey I wore more fros and puffs and detangled on wet hair. I don't know what to do ......:sad:
Any advice?

Sorry to hear this, I sort of have the same problem. Earlier in my journey I had so many splits and just went trim crazy all the time, and was not retaining any length. It was really frustrating. Now I figure, as long as they are not causing excessive breakage, I will leave them. So far it's come quite a way. I still need to do a S&D myself.

I'd say continue with the S&D if you can handle it, and possibly limit puffs for a few weeks/ months and see if that was the culprit? that seems to be a problem for some people. Also, are you using heat often? Or using seamed combs?

ajoyfuljoy

how long is your hair? If you don't mind losing the length, my only suggestion is to cut it or be careful with your hair so you don't damage it further and slowly trim it off.

FtrDrO

Sorry to hear this, I sort of have the same problem. Earlier in my journey I had so many splits and just went trim crazy all the time, and was not retaining any length. It was really frustrating. Now I figure, as long as they are not causing excessive breakage, I will leave them. So far it's come quite a way. I still need to do a S&D myself.

I'd say continue with the S&D if you can handle it, and possibly limit puffs for a few weeks/ months and see if that was the culprit? that seems to be a problem for some people. Also, are you using heat often? Or using seamed combs?

Going trim crazy is my fear. If I continue at this rate, i'm definitely going to lose all of my progress. :ohwell:I haven't noticed any excessive breakage so maybe I'll go easy on it as you suggest. I don't use heat often. The few times i've used heat since I've been natural (maybe 3 times max) was lightly with a blow dryer. I've tried to keep my hair in protective styles for the most part but I did rock fros and puffs a couple of times earlier in the year. I'm on a personal twist and cowash challenge for the rest of year, so I'll monitor my hair during this period as you suggest. I'm not sure if my comb is seamed or not. I'll definitely double check though. As of late however, I detangle with my fingers and occasionally with the shower comb.

how long is your hair? If you don't mind losing the length, my only suggestion is to cut it or be careful with your hair so you don't damage it further and slowly trim it off.

I'm currently nearing APL stretched. Cutting it off would really set back my goal to be nearing Brastrap by the end of the year. But, if i have to do it to keep my hair healthy, then I will.

LadyPaniolo

Ugh... I hate mid-shaft splits with a burning passion :burnup: I have lots of them too :cry3: The thing is, they can stay there not causing any problems for a long time before BLAM! They fully split leaving you to cut off like 6 inches of hair (in my case) on that strand. So in a way it's just good prevention to trim them off before they split and cause tangles.

I honestly wish I knew the best way to deal with them... prevention is good, like OP stated cutting back on styles and techniques that may be damaging. Once they are there, though, and are concentrated in a certain area, it may be best to cut them off.

KittyMeowMeow

I have a similar problem, but mine are on the ends. :crying3: I cut them off when I find them. I am transitioning and I used to use heat (and this was pre LHCF so my method was terrible) so that could be a culprit.

I want to know how to prevent them too! I was thinking about maybe getting a better pair of haircutting shears (I can't tell if the same ones are splitting again?) but don't want to spend the money if that's not the problem...

FtrDrO

That's exactly what scares me Lady Poniolo! That if I leave them, then it'll get worse and I'll have to cut even more! So I figure I should just get rid of them now.

Kitty, I also thought about getting a new pair of shears, just in case that is the problem. But, it really sucks not know what the issue is so that we can prevent the splits. Part of me feels like if I go ahead and cut my entire hair down instead of continuing with S&D, they will come back & I would have done that for nothing, since I don't know exactly why they are there in the first place.

otegwu

cut them! I had the exact same problem and I didnt use heat and used protective styles 90% of the time, I cut 2 inches off as I was so disgusted by them, However Ive regained all the length back and my ends are in good order trust me its worth it in the long run. good luck :)

TemiLnd

I did a massive S&D and I was pretty scared cos I had so many. In the end I decided to hiede my hair away and leave them alone.
I am more concerned about splits as they can travel up the hair sharf.
I feel your pain.

Nonie

OP, I know a lot of people disagree with me, but I think S&D is a futile task. It's not like some of your strands go out to experience a different life from the rest so that some split and some don't. IMO, all your strands endure the same trials and so the ends experience the same wear and tear, be it from grooming or just rubbing against you clothes or just the drying air. I think when you think you're not seeing a split it's because it's already broken off, and when you think they are everywhere it's because they are. IMO the best and most effective way to manage your ends it to dust every 8 weeks or so. That means trimming about 1/4 inch (__) or so on all your strands so you can be sure they are all neat.

S&D seems like a joke to me coz there's no way you will be able to examine the 100,000+ strands you have on your head. So save yourself the headache and time by doing regular dustings.