HELP WITH NEWGROWTH AND BREAKAGE

MzOptimistic

Hello ladies,

I have a question. I have not had a relaxer since Nov.1 2005. I am trying to stretch until the end of Jan. The problem I am having is my newgrowth has grown in very thick thanks to MTG but I am also experiencing hair shedding or hair breakage not alot like before I joined but a little. Since I joined I have not had breakage UNTILLLL I tried the twists outs which was Monday, now my hair is breaking. I used Elasta EQ Breakage control so I am wondering could this breakage be due to the fact that my hair is used to being relaxed everything 6-8 weeks or something else. I personally think it is due to the twist outs. My hair type is 4b, it is very thick and I realllllyyyyy need a retouch but I'm trying to extend. Should I go ahead and retouch? or should I do CW because I have never done one yet. I was planning to start doing CW now that I like washing my hair. I never liked washing my hair before joining now I love washing my hair. Can any give me a liitle advice as to what should I do. Should I retouch the newgrowth since it's been like 9 or 10 weeks since my last one or should I try CW? Any advice on products to use when stretching relaxers would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do you ladies use Scurl moisturizer for? Can you use that on relaxed hair? I'm sorry for the long post.

Tia
Tanya

HoneyDew

I am ready to hear the responses to this one. Personally my hair breaks if I have too much new growth. I just can't stretch. As soon as I get a touch up - no breakage.

I'd love o hear what everyone has to say about it. I can NEVER go past 8 weeks w/o braids or a weave or something.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
HoneyDew said:
I am ready to hear the responses to this one. Personally my hair breaks if I have too much new growth. I just can't stretch. As soon as I get a touch up - no breakage.

I'd love o hear what everyone has to say about it. I can NEVER go past 8 weeks w/o braids or a weave or something.

Same here. I tried to stretch before and my hair broke off a lot. I retouch 6 to 7 weeks and I've have no problems. My hair is very healthy.

baglady215

Stretching relaxers isn't for everybody IMHO. I give my hat off to the ladies that can, but I definitely can't. I can go 8 weeks max, and even by then I'm shedding like crazy.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I couldn't stretch until I started doing washes regularly (~2x/week). I would put Choleserol in my hair the night before I washed it and sleep with it in there, then I use the Sally generic of Nexxus Humectress and Therappe. Then I either rollerset or airdry in a bun. The constant water kept my new growth moisturized and manageable. My last stretch was 10 weeks. I would have stretched a couple weeks longer but I wouldn't be able to see my stylist for about 4 months if I waited (I live in Boston and my stylist is in Michigan).

Stretching is possible but you have to also listen to your hair. Do it in increments. For example, I started relaxing every 6 weeks, then I went to 8 weeks, then 10. If your hair is telling you that it just cannot go any longer, then relax, but if it can wait then put it off another week and then another and then another until it tells you different.

MzOptimistic

Thank you ladies:

My hair is telling me to retouch. It has been like 10 weeks and my hair is not use to going beyond 8 weeks with a retouch, and in time I will extend inch by inch once my hair get use to the weekly washings and CW (I use to wash my hair like....... NEVER..... (lol) before joining), now I wash every week. Thank you ladies so much. That is why I love this site, quick replys and good advice.

Thanks
Tanya

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Stretching relaxers is not for everybody, especially if you don't have the products to give your two textures what they need. First you need to make sure if it's shedding- which is normal since new hair is comming in, and breakage which could be due to a number of things. I know my first stretch was for 16wks, and it wasn't to bad, especially when I got a hold of some Silicone Mix it came right on time, because that 10wk old NG was super thick and getting rediculous, but i DC w/it under a dryer for 15-20 min. and my hair from root to ends was the BOMB!! I knew I could stretch as long as this product is on the market. B4 my silicone mix arrived I used S-curl to moisturize my NG and other moisturizing aids and oils to keep it soft, I even made a spray out of the S-curl by dilluting it w/H20, EVOO, and other oils and a strengthening leave-in. I would spray my hair w/it 2-3 times a day. It is also very important to use very moisturizing poo's and conditioners. Plus protective styles maybe your only option if you NG is mega course, I just kept mine in braids and when I did use the Silicone Mix to DC w/I would rollerset w/NTM Silk tough leave-in and my hair didn't even look 12 wks post. I did have some shedding less than normal, and COing only made my shedding worst, I think it was too much manipulation for my hair. HTH's

hairlover

tsmith said:
Hello ladies,

I have a question. I have not had a relaxer since Nov.1 2005. I am trying to stretch until the end of Jan. The problem I am having is my newgrowth has grown in very thick thanks to MTG but I am also experiencing hair shedding or hair breakage not alot like before I joined but a little. Since I joined I have not had breakage UNTILLLL I tried the twists outs which was Monday, now my hair is breaking. I used Elasta EQ Breakage control so I am wondering could this breakage be due to the fact that my hair is used to being relaxed everything 6-8 weeks or something else. I personally think it is due to the twist outs. My hair type is 4b, it is very thick and I realllllyyyyy need a retouch but I'm trying to extend. Should I go ahead and retouch? or should I do CW because I have never done one yet. I was planning to start doing CW now that I like washing my hair. I never liked washing my hair before joining now I love washing my hair. Can any give me a liitle advice as to what should I do. Should I retouch the newgrowth since it's been like 9 or 10 weeks since my last one or should I try CW? Any advice on products to use when stretching relaxers would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do you ladies use Scurl moisturizer for? Can you use that on relaxed hair? I'm sorry for the long post.

Tia
Tanya
well, i just started cw and i think that they are the greatest. i wash my hair everyday, so instead using shampoo ( it started to dry my hair out) i started cw's and my hair has never felt better.btw i am transitioning 9 1/2 months since last relaxer.

Last edited:

blueabyss333

I'm a little over 4 months post (last relaxer didn't take). There's was definately a phase of a few weeks where it seemed like my hair was shedding and breaking off. It seemed like a phase until my hair just got used to stretching. CW definately help keeping my hair strong and new growth moisturized and clean.

locabouthair

ive learned from the other ladies that the key to stretching is keeping your new growth moisturized. i wish i knew that when i had a relaxer. i am natural and i use s curl. i have really thick coarse hair and this is the only thing that really softens my hair. i would recommend it to anyone who is strecthing their relaxers. if it can soften my hair it can soften anybodys. lol. i recommend NTM silk touch leave in, that softens and smoothes the hair too. if you buy it get it from target everywhere else charges too much for it. i also heard some ladies say that they use wild growth oil for softening their new growth also. but i never tried it. hth

tasha

ITA
Conditioner Washes are the key to stretching. I am at 13 1/2 weeks and I just did another Cw last night (I usually do them twice a week) and I barely lost any hair. I will probably go to 20 weeks this time. ( I plan on getting braids in two weeks though). I started off stretching for 8, 10, 12, 17 and now I'm going for 20 ;)

MzOptimistic

Once again,

Thanks ladies. Before joining, I use to retouch my hair every 6 weeks. I have not retouched since Nov. 1 so I think it's been like 9 or 10 weeks. I joined this board Dec. 11, 2005 and have spent close to $400 on products so far and still need a few more things. Also before joining, I had split ends and breakage badddd because I nevered washed my hair. Since washing my hair once a week the breakage stopped, I didn't see any hair in the sink or on my clothes. Then I tried the twists outlast week and when I combed the twists out so I could wash my hair that's when the breaking started again. Not to mention I have 10 weeks of newgrowth. I did a CW last night and my hair feels soft but I am going to retouch Sunday to be on the safe side and start stretching farther and farther apart when my hair gets use to the TLC I am now giving. I am also going to buy the products as mentioned such as the EVOO.

Thanks again everyone,
Tanya