????? Help?????

HIS1LOVE

Hey Ladies I need your help. I have NonHOGKINS Lymphoma the Follicular type. Prior to the diagnosis was using a black rise on my hair and the ORS mild strength perm on my hair. I have no problems with my hair at all as my hair is mid back all around and I take really good care of it. My growth period is summer and my shed period is winter. I use quality products: kerakare, Nioxon systems Ms Caroll for grays. Has any body else here's gone dabbled or fully crossed over to their natural hair and where do I start? I really want to- but years (over 30) of having flowing hair with dark dyed hair was my jam....Help I want to live as long as I can but I want to look GREAT doing it.
Help me.....I know I sound vain but I'm 55 and dont want to look 105.

Last edited:

HIS1LOVE

So sorry about your diagnosis
Are you asking about stopping your relaxer and transitioning to natural?
Thank you so much. I guess what I am really asking is would you having rec'd a terrible diagnosis like that stop perming and rinsing your hair and if so where/how to start going natural without cutting off the perm ends. I'm at a lost absolutely not thinking correctly

MzSwift

((BIG HUG)) to you! I wish you the best in adjusting to your diagnosis. I'm not really familiar with your diagnosis so I hope none of these suggestions will cause more stress to your situation.

If it were me, I'd stop relaxing as well. There are many ways that I've seen women transition to natural.

1) If you like your hair flowing, you can become a heat trained natural. A weekly or biweekly, wash, DC and blowout/flat iron/rollerset is a simple regi to follow

2)Wetbunning. I've seen lots of ladies retain both natural new growth and relaxed ends with wet bunning Daily or every 2-3 days cowashing, sealing and then bunning. The moisture and protein helps to keep the line of demarcation (where the natural hair meets the relaxed hair) very pliable and strong.

3)Style Setting. Just like with the heat trained, weekly or biweekly wash, DC and set using curlformers, perm rods or even braidouts. Don't mess with it until your next wash

4)Protective Styles. You can use braids, crochet, weaves, wigs, hats, headwraps, etc., to keep your hair protected while you grow out your natural hair.

This isn't an exhaustive list and you can use all of these methods interchangeably.

For dyeing, lots of ladies use henna and indigo to get black hair. I'm sure there are other natural treatments out there as well but I just don't know them all.

HTH! :)

HIS1LOVE

((BIG HUG)) to you! I wish you the best in adjusting to your diagnosis. I'm not really familiar with your diagnosis so I hope none of these suggestions will cause more stress to your situation.

If it were me, I'd stop relaxing as well. There are many ways that I've seen women transition to natural.

1) If you like your hair flowing, you can become a heat trained natural. A weekly or biweekly, wash, DC and blowout/flat iron/rollerset is a simple regi to follow

2)Wetbunning. I've seen lots of ladies retain both natural new growth and relaxed ends with wet bunning Daily or every 2-3 days cowashing, sealing and then bunning. The moisture and protein helps to keep the line of demarcation (where the natural hair meets the relaxed hair) very pliable and strong.

3)Style Setting. Just like with the heat trained, weekly or biweekly wash, DC and set using curlformers, perm rods or even braidouts. Don't mess with it until your next wash

4)Protective Styles. You can use braids, crochet, weaves, wigs, hats, headwraps, etc., to keep your hair protected while you grow out your natural hair.

This isn't an exhaustive list and you can use all of these methods interchangeably.

For dyeing, lots of ladies use henna and indigo to get black hair. I'm sure there are other natural treatments out there as well but I just don't know them all.

HTH! :)

Thank you for responding. Non Hodgkins Lymphoma is cancer of the blood. Luckily I haven't had to start chemo yet so I still have hair to decide with. I love and appreciate ALL your suggestions on wearing my hair minus the "creamy crack"*perm*
I've been a very silent member since 2005 and this is the first time I've had to ask for help. cancer SUCKS ... but again thank you I plan to get to work with atleast one suggestion this week.

Bun Mistress

Hello, I have a medical background I wont go into it but I have a few suggestions based on the information.

I would re no relaxing for a while until you round of chemo are over. You are going to loose some hair with you more likely than not and relaxing could exacerbate this.

I would say roller set and protective style on low tension styles.

Rinses for your gray should be fine, I am bias to henna and indigo as they was strengthening but a simple rinse will not damage your hair. I don't know if you are bone lax or tex lax but I would schedule those after your chemo really right before your next as you should be at your best and under processing you can't stand the texture difference. Many find that their texture relaxes when they are on chemo. So you really may not need it. Vitamins will not hurt btw.

I would look at flat twist outs I did this a lot when I grew out my perm. the up side is if you respond to chemo this is a 10 to 18 month process of chemo so baby your hair and get great hair bonnets and shower s caps.

The prognosis for most of these cancers is very good so stay encourage eat well and stay hopeful.

Miss_Luna

I believe outside of chemo for "liquid tumors", the other treatment options don't cause hairloss, but they might impact hair texture.

My aunt had cancer, another type, and transitioned during the process to stay away from chemicals. She used henna to color her hair during that time. If you also plan to transition I would try to do very loose styles, as not to put any pressure on your head and also prevent headaches.

You're probably already dialed in to the lymphoma forums, and while there may not be anyone there with your texture and experience, someone might mention the impact treatment has had on their hair. My aunt's hair texture went from very coarse to super soft during her various forms of treatment.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
All of the other suggestions upthread are excellent.
I want to add, “Be gentle with yourself and give yourself permission to feel however you feel without self-policing your thoughts and emotions.”
Dealing with an illness, or any challenge that messes with so many different dimensions of your life like an illness does, is challenging and stressful enough without adding to it with anxiety and guilt (you said “I know I sound vain,” and I disagree that you do).

Hair can be such a cornerstone for our femininity as women, our self-esteem in feeling beautiful. And even on a hair board like this one, sometimes, it can be trivialized. Sometimes I think phrases like, “It’s just hair,” are meant to be reassuring, like “hair isn’t the be all and end all to your womanhood or beauty.” But the reality is that we can know something in our heads and feel totally contrary in our hearts.

The fact that you’ve been on this board for so long, and that you’ve maintained healthy relaxed hair for as long as you have means that you already have the foundation to baby your hair through whatever challenges and changes it may go through as you recover your health.

And then for the practical suggestion: don’t discount a nice wig.
If you’re accustomed to straight hair and that’s what makes you feel most beautiful and confident and comfortable, definitely consider investing in a wig that matches your real hair.
You would then have a readily available option should you not be up to a salon visit or self-styling a straightening session. A very nice wig can switch between primary and backup styling options AND maintain the appearance of consistency and normalcy despite otherwise trying circumstances.

I say this as someone who has been the primary support for multiple women going through medical treatments or injuries that compromised their appearance and energy. Staying in good high spirits paved the way for smoother recovery and I encourage you not to demean whatever helps you keep those good high spirits, whether that’s a bangin rollerset or an undetectable lacefront or whatever.
:bighug:

HIS1LOVE

I forgot to mention detangle often. I have had a lot off patient that just shaved their head becauae the shedding drove them nuts. that is why I said not tight long term styles you might end up with dreads.
Thank you. You have given me some good advice.

HIS1LOVE

All of the other suggestions upthread are excellent.
I want to add, “Be gentle with yourself and give yourself permission to feel however you feel without self-policing your thoughts and emotions.”
Dealing with an illness, or any challenge that messes with so many different dimensions of your life like an illness does, is challenging and stressful enough without adding to it with anxiety and guilt (you said “I know I sound vain,” and I disagree that you do).

Hair can be such a cornerstone for our femininity as women, our self-esteem in feeling beautiful. And even on a hair board like this one, sometimes, it can be trivialized. Sometimes I think phrases like, “It’s just hair,” are meant to be reassuring, like “hair isn’t the be all and end all to your womanhood or beauty.” But the reality is that we can know something in our heads and feel totally contrary in our hearts.

The fact that you’ve been on this board for so long, and that you’ve maintained healthy relaxed hair for as long as you have means that you already have the foundation to baby your hair through whatever challenges and changes it may go through as you recover your health.

And then for the practical suggestion: don’t discount a nice wig.
If you’re accustomed to straight hair and that’s what makes you feel most beautiful and confident and comfortable, definitely consider investing in a wig that matches your real hair.
You would then have a readily available option should you not be up to a salon visit or self-styling a straightening session. A very nice wig can switch between primary and backup styling options AND maintain the appearance of consistency and normalcy despite otherwise trying circumstances.

I say this as someone who has been the primary support for multiple women going through medical treatments or injuries that compromised their appearance and energy. Staying in good high spirits paved the way for smoother recovery and I encourage you not to demean whatever helps you keep those good high spirits, whether that’s a bangin rollerset or an undetectable lacefront or whatever.
:bighug:
Thank you so much. Its apparent your heart is filled with plenty of love and empathy for others. You are very wise in your thoughts and I thank you for everything you suggested. I'm printing this out so I can read it when I'm feeling not like myself. Again thank You.