Henna Heads I Need Your Help!!!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ladies,

I need clarification on something, regarding henna.

I'm reading Don't Go Shopping For Hair-Care Products W/O Me by Paula Begoun. Basically, she's saying that henna is temporary and washes out, after a few washes. If that's the case, my planned future attempt at doing a henna gloss is a waste of time, for something that will wash out. I'm trying to cover a few grays.:sekret: I can Keep It Moving (KIM) and continue to use the Jazzing Black Cherry Rinse, if the henna will wash out.

I Googled and found out that BAQ henna does not wash out. However, I bought Godrehj Nupur Mehendi Powder 9 Herbs blend, and I can't figure out if it's BAQ.

Have you used Nupur 9 Herbs Blend Henna? If so, did it wash out? Is is BAQ?
Did the included Amla tone down the copper/brillo pad look on your grays?

Please advise! TIA

Seamonster

I have only been using henna for three months, but it doesn't wash off on my clothes like jazzing use to. My grays are covered. The first time you apply henna it will give you the copper look on the greys. It takes several coats to get grey hair brown.

Hot water gives a brighter red.

mshoneyfly

Ladies,

I need clarification on something, regarding henna.

I'm reading Don't Go Shopping For Hair-Care Products W/O Me by Paula Begoun. Basically, she's saying that henna is temporary and washes out, after a few washes. If that's the case, my planned future attempt at doing a henna gloss is a waste of time, for something that will wash out. I'm trying to cover a few grays.:sekret: I can Keep It Moving (KIM) and continue to use the Jazzing Black Cherry Rinse, if the henna will wash out.

I Googled and found out that BAQ henna does not wash out. However, I bought Godrehj Nupur Mehendi Powder 9 Herbs blend, and I can't figure out if it's BAQ.

Have you used Nupur 9 Herbs Blend Henna? If so, did it wash out? Is is BAQ?
Did the included Amla tone down the copper/brillo pad look on your grays?

Please advise! TIA

MileHighDiva
In my experience, the henna does not wash off but seems to wear off gradually. The nupur is mixed with other herbs so you wont get enough color or gray coverage. This is good for the strength benefits with only a little color. I have used it several times alone and with adding henna from hennasooq.com

My hair is highly porous so it takes color really well. If your hair is resistant to color or very dark, it will take several applications to get a nice dark burgundy or cherry color. I like to mix henna with hibiscus for this reason.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
MileHighDiva

Not familiar with the one you have, but no, Henna won't rinse out. It will gradually grow out from the roots. Henna stain is permanent.

Since I am Relaxed, I only used Body Art Quality (BAQ). I use the one from Mehandi.com for Chemically Treated & African American Hair.

Indigo however will eventually rinse out.

I found that Henna does cover Grey very adequately. I usually apply Indigo for a darker look. Brown/Black.

But since I've been wigging it, I've just been using Henna by itself since my hair stays covered for the most part.

I use the Nupur 9 and I haven't noticed any color fading. But I have no grays and my hair is high porosity so from the first go around my hair color was noticeably different. I don't think it's technically BAQ since its mixed w/ other powders.

Also don't use boiling hot water, it'll burn your henna and possibly jack up your color. I usually use room temperature.

laylaaa

Henna is permanent!

You can't get rid of it - you can only grow it out because it bonds with the keratin in your hair. A lot of people talk about using honey or lemon treatments to 'lift' the dye or frequent shampooing but they don't mention that the way they're removing the stain is by chipping off the actual keratin itself alongside the henna. It's pretty much controlled damage.

As for the copper look, it depends on the region your hair henna comes from but all hennas regardless of brand will eventually take on a deep red appearance after several applications.

BTW. If you want to cover your grays, do an actual henna treatment and not just a gloss. A gloss is more about the conditioning and less about the colour. A gloss on virgin grey hair is a sure fire way to get a brassy copper shade. :yep:

laylaaa

laylaaa isn't the normal paste a nightmare to rinse out of your hair?

Ah yeah. This also depends on the brand. I use Jamila henna, cover it with saran wrap to keep it moist and it rinses out like Yoplait. :lol: Takes less than 5 minutes! My henna from E.Africa took 40 minutes to rinse out and my shower water was running orange for a week so YMMV.

You can make it easier on yourself by adding oils to your henna paste and then using a cheapie condish to soften your hair up just before showering.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ladies, I mixed my first batch of henna. Two cups of hibiscus tea made with three tea bags mixed with 150 grams of Godrej Nupur Henna.

ForumRunner_20130710_182636.jpg

ForumRunner_20130710_182700.jpg

The directions say to soak the henna for 2-3 hours. Should I let it soak overnight for maximum color release, or is 3 hours enough?

Please advise! TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've never used this brand. And I've never dye released with Tea(s). MileHighDiva

I usually allow mine to sit overnight, but I don't think it's necessary.

I close with a Lid and cover it up with a Dish Towel.

You should notice color changes. I can always tell when mine is fully released.

I then squirt a dollop of Oil into it right before I apply it.

Let me know your success with Tea.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Ladies, I mixed my first batch of henna. Two cups of hibiscus tea made with three tea bags mixed with 150 grams of Godrej Nupur Henna.

The directions say to soak the henna for 2-3 hours. Should I let it soak overnight for maximum color release, or is 3 hours enough?

Please advise! TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

I use the exact same henna and also add more herbs plus indigo and it covers my grays wonderfully. I use tea as my liquid that I purchased from Chargin. I let it sit overnight and only leave the henna in for the least has been 2 hours. The first 2 pics is my recent hendigo. The lighter color is the grays. The darker Auburn color is when I dyed the front part of my hair in Sept of last year. The last pic was when I first used henna/indigo.

ForumRunner_20130710_220845.jpg

ForumRunner_20130710_220901.jpg

ForumRunner_20130710_220941.jpg

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

HighAspirations

I've a really used this brand of henna and it's perfectly safe. It's more of a mixture of different Ayurvedic herbs than just henna so it's a little "watered down" I suppose, but the color doesn't fade. I usually use a different brand but when my stash runs out I take this from my moms stash and she swears by it. She uses it to cover her grays and you can't tell she ever had any. Some people say that it gets darker the more you use it, I think they might mean that the color become more prevalent, my moms hair and mines as well appears more tinted with every use. We're not on any particular schedule either, just when we feel like I. When I was in school it would have been like two months and people would still be asking me "what color is your hair?" Lol I hope this help! HHG

Minty

I'm off to do henna now. I use tea for liquid

The tea is made of:

hibiscus
black cherry bark
fo-ti
fenugreek

mshoneyfly

Just mixed my henna gloss for tonight. I used:

Starwest Botanicals red henna
Nupur powder
Hibiscus powder
Cocoa powder
Shea Moisture DC
Safflower oil
Hot water
Lemon juice
Pinch of sugar

Will add about 1/4 cup coconut milk after dye release before applying

baddison

natural for good
Been using NUPUR Henna for 5 years now - since 2008. Wow! can't believe how time goes by so fast. Anyway - its the ONLY henna I use. Been using it monthly for years. Let me tell you: henna does NOT wash away over time, it barely fades away either. At least on my head it doesn't. But that could also be that I've reached my henna "saturation" after being so faithful for the past 5 years.

My mix is so very, very simple:
Nupur Henna
Coffee or Black Tea
Amla Oil
Trader Joes Conditioner

...that's it - 4 items.

I apply at bedtime on Friday night, sleep in it, then wash it out Saturday morning. Then proceed with uber moisturizing DC.

This is (...and has been...) my monthly procedure for the past 5 years. Henna has done wonders for my scalp and hair. And believe me: greys are a non-issue. :grin::grin:

Last edited:

DirectorChic

I have used Nupur and number of brands of henna. The Nupur brand I think takes longer to settle in because it is mixed with other herbs but it still colors well. I have found---in short--- the best brand in my opinion is the Karishma brand which gives a faster deeper cherry color. NOTE: (As a matter of fact I accidentally slightly colored my gray, since it has gotten warm(weather wise) with this brand. I've only been using a couple of spoonfuls during the colder months in the winter, mixed with other herbs for conditioning and not color since I am growing out the color.)

Only the BAQ will rinse out very well in a few minutes. I have NO problem with rinsing it out. it is only a beast to rinse out if it is not sifted through properly and leaves trees and bushes in your hair. lol!

For easy rinsing always keep a processing cap on the head to keep the paste moist and if you'd like, use conditioner to assist in loosening the paste. (VO5/Suave)

Henna is really not hard to do. I think it's because some "experts" insist that it is hard to do but it isn't.

CAVEAT: Rinse it all out until the water is clear, you will not have any bleeding color problems. Some people complain that henna bleeds(gets on towels and clothing) and claim that it is the nature of the henna when it isn't.

Henna is there to stay, unlike temporary colors. it must be grown out.

DirectorChic

For first time users of henna.

Try keeping it simple. If you have a really good brand like Karishma, for example, try using just hot water and a little oil to know if you have a good brand of henna. Really good henna's do not need a lot of mixture unless you are doing a particular hair pack treatment, then add all you want. But if you just want the henna experience ...henna....hot water...and a little oil in the mix will do. :yep:

Pompous Blue

For first time users of henna.

Try keeping it simple. If you have a really good brand like Karishma, for example, try using just hot water and a little oil to know if you have a good brand of henna. Really good henna's do not need a lot of mixture unless you are doing a particular hair pack treatment, then add all you want. But if you just want the henna experience ...henna....hot water...and a little oil in the mix will do. :yep:
IA; my 1st mix was just henna and hot water. My DH's 1st mix was the same. Great results!

I didn't start adding anything to it 'til had I been doing it for several months.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Okay, I have about ten henna saturated bantu knots under two processing caps. I put the remaining henna mix in an empty As I Am Coconut Co-Wash container and put it in the freezer. I have an hand towel wrapped around my head, and secured with a hair section clip to catch drips.

Any mess that was made has been cleaned up. I just placed an old towel over one of my pillows. I think I'm going to read some more of The Black Count and take a nap.

I'll report back when I rinse/wash it out.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
My hair feels like straw right now! :sad: Let us :pray: that the Silk Dreams Shea What! Deux brings my hair back to it's normal soft, smooth, and silkylicious self! I'm going to watch the "idiot box" for awhile with my heat cap on.

The rinse out was not as hellacious (sp?) as I thought it was going to be. I wasn't timing it, but I think I rinsed for about 8-10 mins. I'm happy about that, because I've read horror stories about henna rinse out sessions.

P.S. I forgot to shampoo again following the rinse out session. I went straight to applying DC to get rid of the straw like feeling. I hope skipping that step does not create a set back etc. :ohwell:

Last edited:

myronnie

MileHighDiva
What did you use to rinse the henna out? I've been hennaing for a long time and I find that using VO5 conditioners to rinse out (in particular VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea or VO5 Raspberry -- these do not have protein!) keep my hair feeling regular after henna. I rinse with water first to get as much henna out as possible and don't manipulate my hair a lot while rinsing to avoid breakage. Then when enough henna is out, I saturate my hair with the VO5 conditioner and cowash over and over again until my hair is clean!

I DO NOT shampoo after I henna. I don't think I ever have. That might make your hair drier. When I went natural I started to shampoo before I henna just so that I could have clean hair. When I was relaxed I just hennaed on dry, dirty hair and the cowash out cleaned the hair adequately.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
myronnie, I rinsed with water. I'll have to pick up some VO5 for next time. That straw thing was not a good feeling. :nono: My hair feels great now that I've rinsed the DC out. Actually, it feels real strong!

Glad to know that I didn't need to shampoo again, after rinsing the henna out.

DirectorChic

IA; my 1st mix was just henna and hot water. My DH's 1st mix was the same. Great results!

I didn't start adding anything to it 'til had I been doing it for several months.

Yep you can add and add as you wish esp when you begin to know about the other ayurvedic herbs.

There were times I simply wanted just that henna experience when I was coloring towards a certain saturation.

DirectorChic

myronnie, I rinsed with water. I'll have to pick up some VO5 for next time. That straw thing was not a good feeling. :nono: My hair feels great now that I've rinsed the DC out. Actually, it feels real strong!

Glad to know that I didn't need to shampoo again, after rinsing the henna out.

Glad it worked for you! Seeeee the henna thing is not so bad. The VO5 and Suave co. are cheap and they work. Get a whole bunch of'em! And keep them on hand. You can also use those conditioners in glosses and other kinds of moisturizing combos and hair packs. Try mixing either suave or VO5 or both with a little coconut milk with some Methi (fenugreek) and brahmi or whatever ayurvedic herb you wish and mix until you have a spreadable paste. Yummy!!!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ladies, I'm pleased right now with the results of the henna treatment! My hair ball was considerably smaller compared to usual. This is the least amount of hair that I have lost during a hair/wash session, in a while.

I'm not sure if this is due to pre-pooing with Vatika Oil, or the henna treatment with Godrej Nupur Henna, both have extra herbs etc. in their formulas that are suppose to prevent shedding, or what they call hair fall. Either way, I'm very happy right now with the results!

So far, this has been a success stronger feeling hair and minimal hair loss!

I will evaluate the color results in three days, after it's had a chance to oxidize/settle.

Jewell

MileHighDiva

Aww, I'm really glad to hear you had great results with Godrej Nupur 9 Herbs Henna. I use it too when I'm not too worried about making a mess, lol. It's coming up time for another henndigo (henna plus indigo application). Idk when I will do it but I just wanted to say I live Nupur 9 Herbs and Reshma Black/Raven Henna. The latter is henna plus indigo. It makes my hair strong, increases volume, and leaves it shiny.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Glad it worked for you! Seeeee the henna thing is not so bad. The VO5 and Suave co. are cheap and they work. Get a whole bunch of'em! And keep them on hand. You can also use those conditioners in glosses and other kinds of moisturizing combos and hair packs. Try mixing either suave or VO5 or both with a little coconut milk with some Methi (fenugreek) and brahmi or whatever ayurvedic herb you wish and mix until you have a spreadable paste. Yummy!!!

Oooh I'm going to have to try this!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF